Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 467 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
  • Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

That is simply bullshit, that woman or any women for that matter didn’t accused Phoenix of anything. She only accused of sexual harrasment and sued Casey Affleck. She didn’t accuse Phoenix even of ill will at any point. She didn’t say or suggest at any point that he wittnesed and didn’t react to her harrasment. Legal document of this case are available on the internet so anybody can check. That instance which you described she didn’t even wittnesed and was told about it from second hand. That movie wasn’t shoot proffesionaly by any means, it was shot spontaneously when and where Affleck who was Director and main producer of the project want and felt like it, so it’s enteirly possible thatt they were shooting some scene there.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker is a comic book character which automatically makes it not baity.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Playing a comic book character can be considered as not being Oscar bait because the Academy doesn’t even like comic book movies lol.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

This is funny because Amanda White claims Phoenix was also part of the harassment. She said he and Affleck had locked themselves in her room with two women where they had sex with them. Affleck was married to Joaquin’s sister at the time so you get my point… Maybe Phoenix regrets it now but at least let’s not pretend he didn’t witness the harassment. He did and instead of putting an end to it he chose to ignore it and even participate in some instances.

uh huh.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Are you implying that the Academy frequently goes for comic book performances ?

Banned for making a fake movie poster

JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Are you implying that the Academy frequently goes for comic book performances ?

[/qulooks
    A comic book movie isn’t awards-baity but Joker have been elevated to a character of extensive interest and respect ever since Heath Ledger’s performance.

And then people want to see how it looks. If it’s bad just trash it to the pits (Leto), but if it’s good awards hype comes along (Phoenix)

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I said this before but idk, people winning for performances based on comic book characters is an extremely rare feat, with only Ledger pulling it off a decade ago. And sure, some people have won Oscars for the same role but again, that’s so rare too.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

A comic book movie isn’t awards-baity but Joker have been elevated to a character of extensive interest and respect ever since Heath Ledger’s performance. And then people want to see how it looks. If it’s bad just trash it to the pits (Leto), but if it’s good awards hype comes along (Phoenix)

Well only one Joker has had awards success so far so I’m not sure we’ve had enough cases to make such a generalization. In any case, Adam Driver’s role is still very baity and it’s stupid dismiss his chances just because he is playing someone who is getting a divorce (which, for the record, is a dumb and repetitive argument that is used far too often on this website to trash both Driver, Scarlett and the film in itself).

Banned for making a fake movie poster

JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

Well only one Joker has had awards success so far so I’m not sure we’ve had enough cases to make such a generalization. In any case, Adam Driver’s role is still very baity and it’s stupid dismiss his chances just because he is playing someone who is getting a divorce (which, for the record, is a dumb and repetitive argument that is used far too often on this website to trash both Driver, Scarlett and the film in itself).

Agreed Driver has indeed a baity role plus the goodwill from the industry that praises him all the time.
    But my point was after Ledger did it so brilliantly, the two times a new Joker was announced there was media speculation from the beginning if they could reach The Dark Knight. Leto didn’t but Phoenix had it. This instant media attention (as opposed to Driver’s critical one) makes Joker a baity role

FYC: Best Actor - Jonathan Pryce for The Two Popes

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I said this before but idk, people winning for performances based on comic book characters is an extremely rare feat, with only Ledger pulling it off a decade ago. And sure, some people have won Oscars for the same role but again, that’s so rare too.

It’s a terrible and unfair bias, and under usual circumstances few could expect a CB figure as a serious contender.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. Also, sure MS isn’t a one man show but that doesn’t mean Adam doesn’t have many strong scenes or that it would be an absolute crime if he wins lol. There is so many baity things you can do with having divorce as a subject for a film, so that argument doesn’t work for both Adam and Scarlett tbh. I really wish the folks here would wait and watch the film first before talking out of their ass.

fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it interesting how this thread has become a Driver vs Phoenix Stan thread with little to no talk of anyone else, as I would consider them a rather arbitrary two contenders in a dense and unpredictable race.  Phoenix in particular may even struggle to get nominated. There are academy members that called his film “irresponsible”, “a cynical mess” or simply unextraordinary in any regard. I would not be surprised to see this race become DeNiro vs Pryce come January (just to give an example)

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it interesting how this thread has become a Driver vs Phoenix Stan thread with little to no talk of anyone else, as I would consider them a rather arbitrary two contenders in a dense and unpredictable race. Phoenix in particular may even struggle to get nominated. There are academy members that called his film “irresponsible”, “a cynical mess” or simply unextraordinary in any regard. I would not be surprised to see this race become DeNiro vs Pryce come January (just to give an example)

Do you really find it interesting? And do you really believe it’s only the stans debating here?

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it interesting how this thread has become a Driver vs Phoenix Stan thread with little to no talk of anyone else, as I would consider them a rather arbitrary two contenders in a dense and unpredictable race. Phoenix in particular may even struggle to get nominated. There are academy members that called his film “irresponsible”, “a cynical mess” or simply unextraordinary in any regard. I would not be surprised to see this race become DeNiro vs Pryce come January (just to give an example)

I would love for the industry to support Banderas, he was simply incredible in Pain & Glory.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I think if someone besides Driver and Phoenix ends up taking it, it’ll be Jonathon Pryce. He’s a veteran who’s never been nominated before whose loved by many people, and he gave a highly acclaimed performance. I also wonder if Leo would be in the conversation for the win if he hadn’t gotten his Oscar for The Revenant.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 467 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.