Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 467 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
Babygirl
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

So it’s true then that we’re only debating Joaquin/Driver?

It’s a coin toss that’s lands Heads.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Joker’s not even a comic-book movie though. It’s barely based on the comics and nothing like any other film in its genre. If they was any sort of genre bias among industry professionals then Joker would not have won the Golden Lion at Venice.

Again, Venice is a very small committee compared to thousands of Academy members, not the same thing.

I didn’t say Joker is a comic book film but do you honestly think the voters will know it’s barely based on the comics? I just don’t think those who are biased will dissociate this film with superheor movies. There is going to be people who are going to get turned off just based on the fact that it’s the JOKER that Phoenix is playing. There’s already voters who refuse to even see the film and even Martin Scorsese said he was turned off by Joker because of how Arthur’s story became comic book associated.

For me, ultimately, I don’t know if I make the next step into this character developing into a comic book character,” Scorsese said. “You follow? He develops into an abstraction. It doesn’t mean it’s bad art, it’s just not for me…The superhero films, as I’ve said, are another art form. They are not easy to make. There’s a lot of very talented people doing good work and a lot of young people really, really enjoy them.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Y’all sound so convinced. I’m almost at the point where I’m hoping you’re all right since the aftermath will be filled with complaints.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I do not believe that Joker is going to play well with veteran/older Oscar voters at all.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voters-react-joker-avoiding-it-1245781

I think it is a race between Driver and Pryce. Both films are less divisive.

This stuff rarely means anything, unless they are polling the thousands of members. A couple of disparate opinions dont add up to much. Pryce will just be happy to be nominated. Win is out of the question.

Profile picture
    MrGoodWood
    Topics:

I won’t deny that Joker winning the Golden Lion was big, it definitely signified a stronger baseline of support as opposed to other genre films. However, Golden Lion is a very unreliable indicator of how critical support will translate to Academy voters. Hell, only 3 films that won this century even got nominated for BP? Joker’s win is significant but we’ve never used this award as an indicator of industry awards success, so we shouldn’t now.

I personally don’t view Joker’s Venice win as an indicator for the Oscars, but as an indicator that it is viewed as a “serious” picture by other filmmakers, as opposed to other comic-book movies.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Me every time someone cites genre bias for playing a comic book character:

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I agree. Genre bias isn’t the problem for Joaquin. The problem is that he’s playing a role that won an Oscar before. That makes a win considerably less likely (see what happened with Creed).

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I agree. Genre bias isn’t the problem for Joaquin. The problem is that he’s playing a role that won an Oscar before. That makes a win considerably less likely (see what happened with Creed).

Stallone never won, though. Also, Joaquin is playing an entirely different role from Ledger’s Joker. Dare I say Joaquin brings it to a much more examined level?

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by CateNicole.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by CateNicole.
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

It literally has only happened once….? Ledger is the only person NOMINATED for a performance based on a comic book character let alone the only winner. It’s a rare feat. Genre bias and that Phoenix is playing a role that has won an Oscar before are things to consider as barriers.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Heath Legder swept though like Monique style. He had no competition. Joaquin has competition from Adam Driver and he’s in a much more divisive film.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

It literally has only happened once….? Ledger is the only person NOMINATED for a performance based on a comic book character let alone the only winner. It’s a rare feat. Genre bias and that Phoenix is playing a role that has won an Oscar before are things to consider as barriers.

Sure, but how many “comic book movies” have had a target audience that included critics and awards-voters? They never aim for the Oscars. But Joker clearly is.

People are incorrectly thinking about “genre bias” when the reality is that the movies within the genre usually aren’t looking to be awards contenders, so it’s not really an accurate measure.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Genre bias against comics is very real when it comes to the Oscars. Sure, Ledger won, but he’s the only actor to ever win for playing a comic book character, and I believe he’s one of only four people to be nominated for doing so (Al Pacino in Dick Tracy, William Hurt in A History of Violence, and I’m pretty sure there’s one more, but I can’t recall who it was or what the movie was). The fact that Ledger’s film was unable to get into Best Picture despite being the best movie of the year is another clear sign of that bias. Also, Ledger’s circumstances were very different from Phoenix’s. He delivered one of the most critically acclaimed performances of all time, and even if he wasn’t undeniable for the win based on that, his tragic death ultimately ensured that no one else had a chance of taking him down (he would’ve won if he was still alive though). Joaquin definitely has a shot of overcoming this bias, but it’s still very much there, and it’s gonna be way harder for him to beat it than it was for Ledger.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Genre bias against comics is very real when it comes to the Oscars. Sure, Ledger won, but he’s the only actor to ever win for playing a comic book character, and I believe he’s one of only four people to be nominated for doing so (Al Pacino in Dick Tracy, William Hurt in A History of Violence, and I’m pretty sure there’s one more, but I can’t recall who it was or what the movie was). The fact that Ledger’s film was unable to get into Best Picture despite being the best movie of the year is another clear sign of that bias. Also, Ledger’s circumstances were very different from Phoenix’s. He delivered one of the most critically acclaimed performances of all time, and even if he wasn’t undeniable for the win based on that, his tragic death ultimately ensured that no one else had a chance of taking him down (he would’ve won if he was still alive though). Joaquin definitely has a shot of overcoming this bias, but it’s still very much there, and it’s gonna be way harder for him to beat it than it was for Ledger.

Yep.

Also I didn’t know about Pacino and Hurt’s films being based on comic books, thanks for sharing. For Ledger I meant superhero comic book series lol.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Stallone never won, though. Also, Joaquin is playing an entirely different role from Ledger’s Joker. Dare I say Joaquin brings it to a much more examined level?

Ledger’s take was just as examined. Sure, that Joker was mysterious and completely evil (as most iterations are), but he still had a lot of depth. Pay attention and you’ll notice a lot brilliant, subtle touches that add to the character.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 467 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.