Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 467 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
  • arabian
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, please don’t be sleeping on Heath Ledger’s Joker.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Heath Legder swept though like Monique style. He had no competition. Joaquin has competition from Adam Driver and he’s in a much more divisive film.

The fact that Heath would have presented Mo’nique with her Oscar.. my heart hurts, we were robbed of a moment.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Ledger’s take was just as examined. Sure, that Joker was mysterious and completely evil (as most iterations are), but he still had a lot of depth. Pay attention and you’ll notice a lot brilliant, subtle touches that add to the character.

I agree with this! But I think Joaquin did something truly transcendent with the role. He gave reason for the ticks and whatnot–they arose from Arthur’s hurt and anxieties.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

Ledger gave a performance for the ages that Phoenix couldn’t even touch and that’s on period.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Also got banned because...reasons? So, I guess ciao.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Personal top 5 of the year so far:

HM: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Brad Pitt – Ad Astra

Banned for making a fake movie poster

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Ledger gave a performance for the ages that Phoenix couldn’t even touch and that’s on period.

This does seem like the trendy opinion to have.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Personal top 5 of the year so far: HM: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Brad Pitt – Ad Astra

Sis.. you have TASTE. That’s literally my personal lineup sans Choi Woo-shik who I put in Supporting.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

This does seem like the trendy opinion to have.

Well, it’s not my fault that sitting on the movie longer has undermined Phoenix’s performance for me. Blame that awful script. Ledger didn’t have that problem and he gave a top 5 performance of all time for me, so it was going to be tough for Phoenix to beat him regardless.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Ledger vs Phoenix comes off as apples and oranges. They have completely different functions in the films in which they appear, I do agree with what I think John said before that Joaquin is playing Arthur Fleck and Ledger the Joker. I do prefer Ledger, but it’s not a fair comparison as they’re playing nearly polar opposite iterations of a popular character with a somewhat infinite mythos. I mean, Ledger is a supporting character and a foil to Batman, can he be expected to bring out dimensions of his character that are impossible to express through the limitations of the script?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Dennis El Mar.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Personal top 5 of the year so far: HM: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Brad Pitt – Ad Astra

I can’t till the end of the year so I can give my top 5 in each acting category lol. I really need to catch up.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

I thought Phoenix was brilliant on a first watch, but on my second viewing I found his performance to be painfully overacted.

I guess I’ll be sticking to the one viewing then lol (not that I planned on watching it anytime soon anyways).

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Ledger vs Phoenix comes off as apples and oranges. They have completely different functions in the films in which they appear, I do agree with what I think John said before that Joaquin is playing Arthur Fleck and Ledger the Joker. I do prefer Ledger, but it’s not a fair comparison as they’re playing nearly polar opposite iterations of a popular character with a somewhat infinite mythos. I mean, Ledger is a supporting character and a foil to Batman, can he be expected to bring out dimensions of his character that are impossible to express through the limitations of the script?

Very well said. Thank you!!!

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t till the end of the year so I can give my top 5 in each acting category lol. I really need to catch up.

Thank you for veering away from the Phoenix/Driver debate.

ETA: Just where is all the Joaquin is winning stuff coming from? Some lunatic stanning on Twitter?

I respect ALL of you as individuals but this stanning is irritating to no end. I would have simply been happy for Joaquin should he win, but now I am actively rooting for him because of all of these egg head justifications for why he isn’t. The funniest one is the poster who suspects he’s not even going to get a nomination. Lol.

jmho

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Please Correct Me Here,If I’m Wrong.

DiCaprio isn’t campaigning big or hard for OUATIH.

Back when Revenant came in 2015,I used to be regular at Imdb message boards and there it was famous that he rarely or never campaigns.

Is it right?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Please Correct Me Here,If I’m Wrong.

DiCaprio isn’t campaigning big or hard for OUATIH.

Back when Revenant came in 2015,I used to be regular at Imdb message boards and there it was famous that he rarely or never campaigns.

Is it right?

I’m afraid to try to provide an answer or signs of evidence Hammad….lol

I remember he campaigned during the Aviator run, but that’s it.
    It could be a moot point since everyone knows who he is and what he can do.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 467 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.