Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 424 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
  • Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Ledger vs Phoenix comes off as apples and oranges. They have completely different functions in the films in which they appear, I do agree with what I think John said before that Joaquin is playing Arthur Fleck and Ledger the Joker. I do prefer Ledger, but it’s not a fair comparison as they’re playing nearly polar opposite iterations of a popular character with a somewhat infinite mythos. I mean, Ledger is a supporting character and a foil to Batman, can he be expected to bring out dimensions of his character that are impossible to express through the limitations of the script?

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Personal top 5 of the year so far: HM: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Brad Pitt – Ad Astra

What a great group.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, it’s not my fault that sitting on the movie longer has undermined Phoenix’s performance for me. Blame that awful script. Ledger didn’t have that problem and he gave a top 5 performance of all time for me, so it was going to be tough for Phoenix to beat him regardless.

I thought Phoenix was brilliant on a first watch, but on my second viewing I found his performance to be painfully overacted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Personal top 5 of the year so far: HM: Joaquin Phoenix – Joker, Leonardo DiCaprio – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Brad Pitt – Ad Astra

I can’t till the end of the year so I can give my top 5 in each acting category lol. I really need to catch up.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Phoenix was brilliant on a first watch, but on my second viewing I found his performance to be painfully overacted.

I guess I’ll be sticking to the one viewing then lol (not that I planned on watching it anytime soon anyways).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Ledger vs Phoenix comes off as apples and oranges. They have completely different functions in the films in which they appear, I do agree with what I think John said before that Joaquin is playing Arthur Fleck and Ledger the Joker. I do prefer Ledger, but it’s not a fair comparison as they’re playing nearly polar opposite iterations of a popular character with a somewhat infinite mythos. I mean, Ledger is a supporting character and a foil to Batman, can he be expected to bring out dimensions of his character that are impossible to express through the limitations of the script?

Very well said. Thank you!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t till the end of the year so I can give my top 5 in each acting category lol. I really need to catch up.

Thank you for veering away from the Phoenix/Driver debate.

ETA: Just where is all the Joaquin is winning stuff coming from? Some lunatic stanning on Twitter?

I respect ALL of you as individuals but this stanning is irritating to no end. I would have simply been happy for Joaquin should he win, but now I am actively rooting for him because of all of these egg head justifications for why he isn’t. The funniest one is the poster who suspects he’s not even going to get a nomination. Lol.

jmho

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Please Correct Me Here,If I’m Wrong.

DiCaprio isn’t campaigning big or hard for OUATIH.

Back when Revenant came in 2015,I used to be regular at Imdb message boards and there it was famous that he rarely or never campaigns.

Is it right?

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Please Correct Me Here,If I’m Wrong.

DiCaprio isn’t campaigning big or hard for OUATIH.

Back when Revenant came in 2015,I used to be regular at Imdb message boards and there it was famous that he rarely or never campaigns.

Is it right?

I’m afraid to try to provide an answer or signs of evidence Hammad….lol

I remember he campaigned during the Aviator run, but that’s it.
    It could be a moot point since everyone knows who he is and what he can do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m afraid to try to provide an answer or signs of evidence Hammad….lol

I remember he campaigned during the Aviator run, but that’s it.
    It could be a moot point since everyone knows who he is and what he can do.

So he don’t do campaigning then.

Thanks for the reply.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

So he don’t do campaigning then.

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t remember him campaigning like most of the others. Right from the beginning with Grape.

ReplyCopy URL
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Ledger gave a performance for the ages that Phoenix couldn’t even touch and that’s on period.

Baby, you know you’re one of my forum treasured pals in here, but I guess the problem comes from directly comparing both performances. I am also aware you didn’t start the ongoing conversation, so these are my $0.02. Ledger’s was meant to be the ultimate villain, a criminal mastermind to lead an already beaten Gotham City. His purpose was to clash with Batman and hit him where it hurt the most. He had become the Joker.

Phoenix’ take is sort of a spiritual father to Heath’s. We’re not dealing with the criminal lord yet, but with an abused and desperate person who reacts in the worst possible ways to his frustrations. He transformed into a serial killer as if we were watching a horror movie. I think they both explored the role thoroughly, but the scripts just meant to have the character at two different ends of their Joker lives. Hence, the futility of forcing a direct comparison on “depth”.
    I am also posting this because I am just thankful that the decade didn’t end with the abomination Leto inflicted upon us in SS. It’s nice to say that the 2000s and this decade had iconic Jokers.

ReplyCopy URL
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Fuck, I hadn’t checked the whole thing. Now it seems like I plagiarized you. Which I didn’t. Lol

I am not failing this subject. I refuse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder what will be the second or third of Netflix’s Best Actor nomination slots in this category. It is general consensus that Adam Driver is getting a Best Actor nomination – he and Joaquin are the surest bets for a nomination. Netflix has a lot of other options to play with, so let’s list them and some factors.

• Robert De Niro – Attached to a top 3 frontrunner, though he doesn’t seem to be the performance with the most buzz attached. Also, he’s been rewarded before. That having been said, he is very likely
    • Jonathon Pryce – In a very “actors’ film” film. Opposite another acting contender. Perhaps maybe not the most gripping Oscar race narrative, but the quality is apparently there
    • Eddie Murphy – Big comeback, widely praised movie, nostalgia throwback whilst not necessarily being pandering, has a fanbase of people really wanting him nominated.
    • Timothee Chalamet – Residual buzz from Little Women, challenging role against his type, twink fanbase on twitter.

Of these, I have De Niro and Murphy on my predictions list. How about everyone else in this thread?

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder what will be the second or third of Netflix’s Best Actor nomination slots in this category. It is general consensus that Adam Driver is getting a Best Actor nomination – he and Joaquin are the surest bets for a nomination. Netflix has a lot of other options to play with, so let’s list them and some factors.

• Robert De Niro – Attached to a top 3 frontrunner, though he doesn’t seem to be the performance with the most buzz attached. Also, he’s been rewarded before. That having been said, he is very likely
    • Jonathon Pryce – In a very “actors’ film” film. Opposite another acting contender. Perhaps maybe not the most gripping Oscar race narrative, but the quality is apparently there
    • Eddie Murphy – Big comeback, widely praised movie, nostalgia throwback whilst not necessarily being pandering, has a fanbase of people really wanting him nominated.
    • Timothee Chalamet – Residual buzz from Little Women, challenging role against his type, twink fanbase on twitter.

Of these, I have De Niro and Murphy on my predictions list. How about everyone else in this thread?

Right now I have Pryce making it in alongside Driver. He seems to be the most acclaimed of those four, he can be considered overdue, and I think his film will also get nominations for Hopkins and the screenplay. Right now I also have it as my 10th slot in Best Picture, but I’m not sure about that, and it’s also unlikely that we’ll get 10 Best Picture nominations.

If another Netflix performance makes it in, my next guess would be De Niro. I think his film’s going to be big with the Academy, so he could end up as a coattail nomination. I say he’d be a coattail because it seems like there’s several other contenders who had more acclaimed performances than his. Driver, Phoenix, DiCaprio, Banderas, Murphy, Pryce, Egerton, Davis, Bale, Pattinson, and Sandler all seem to be getting more enthusiastic reviews than De Niro. From what I’ve seen and heard, it appears that Bob’s given a good performance, but it also seems like he’s just doing another classic tough guy role that he’s done so many times before. I love De Niro and he’s a legend, but I just don’t know if he can make it into such a competitive lineup when there’s so many other performances that are considered better and more daring, even if his film could win Best Picture. With that being said, I won’t count him out.

Murphy seems to be in a position where he has the performance, but not the film. The only other element of his film that I think may have a chance of being nominated is the costumes, and I’m not currently predicting that. Murphy’s performance was absolutely wonderful, but he’s going up against several acclaimed performances in films that are going to be bigger contenders than his. Much like De Niro, I won’t count him out though.

I don’t think Chalamet has a chance. The Irishman, Marriage Story, The Two Popes, and Dolemite is My Name all look like they’re gonna get much stronger awards pushes than The King. And based on what I hear, he doesn’t have the film or the performance. Also, since some people claim he was miscast in Little Women, I don’t think he’ll be helped by that film’s release this year.

Right now I think the lineup will be:

1. Adam Driver, Marriage Story

2. Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

3. Jonathon Pryce, The Two Popes

4. Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

5. Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 424 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.