Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 467 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Babygirl
GregSprinkles
  • Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

In the Netflix race (aside from Driver–who I do think is a lock for the nomination of the Netflix bunch), I just have a feeling that it’s: Pryce, Murphy and then DeNiro. I don’t know why, but I’m just not feeling the DeNiro buzz for some reason. Pryce just feels like he’s got this more than the others–enough that if anyone takes the Oscar over the supposed “two-man race” between Driver and Phoenix, I think it will be him. And Murphy just seems like a legit comeback story more than Sandler which just doesn’t seem to be catching fire the way many thought it might. Eddie appears to have stolen that thunder.

I think all of them have an equal chance it all comes down to how hard they campaign I think that’ll differentiate them.

I also don’t understand the whole “they won’t nominate 4/5 actors from netflix films”. Voters aren’t looking at the ballot thinking oh I won’t vote for ____ because I already voted for 3 netflix actors.

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Don’t forget about Zac Efron guys.

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Don’t forget about Zac Efron guys.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

As much as I think he was Oscar worthy in that….it’s not happening

Profile picture
    arabian
    Topics:

How do you feel about Leo? How he stacks up? I hope you’re right about Eddie. Oscars are like betting on a horse (which I would never do). You can study the program til the cows come home but if it rains the mudders come in. So I’m thinking the gut is as valid as the study. Go with it.

I don’t think you can ever count Leo out, however, he won the Oscar and that kinda diminishes the “need” to get him in the nominating circle, you know? Throwing the nominations at him willy-nilly (not that he never deserved them, imo) rather seemed a… ‘Will he get the Oscar THIS TIME?!’ kinda thing. Well, he done got the Oscar so getting his name in the mix doesn’t have that same sense of urgency.

However, again, it’s Leo. I’d never count him out.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Right Now,Taron Egerton isn’t even in GD’s expert’s Top7 in predictions overall.

He should be much lower than top 7. He isnt frontrunner for Comedy Globe and will have to pass those same actors plus the ones in Drama to get a spot in the top 5. I just see no path for him at all. It’s not like people are still talking about the performance right now. No passion + early release = a couple filler spots at BFCA and Globe and goodnight, Irene.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

After seeing Jojo Rabbit I really want Roman Griffin Davis to get an Oscar nomination. But I doubt it will happen. At best he’ll hopefully get a Globe nom.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

He should be much lower than top 7. He isnt frontrunner for Comedy Globe and will have to pass those same actors plus the ones in Drama to get a spot in the top 5. I just see no path for him at all. It’s not like people are still talking about the performance right now. No passion + early release = a couple filler spots at BFCA and Globe and goodnight, Irene.

I’ve heard many people talk about how much they loved his performance, so yes, he has passion.

Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

The past two years this category has been a bloodbath for who makes the final five. It seems like this is Adam Driver’s to lose, which I’m still fine with despite that yikes on a bike New Yorker profile.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The hype surrounding Joaquin reminds me vaguely of Toni Collette last year. I honestly could see him getting snubbed in a few of the places where users are predicting him to win on the basis of genre bias and if performers with upcoming films gain enough praise to generate momentum over him. However, considering that Banderas, DiCaprio, and Egerton all have had the focus earlier on, it might be hard for anyone to break out significantly in the next few weeks, besides Driver. De Niro seems to be jumping up.

Anybody can be snubbed but Phoenix is in no way comparable with Toni Collette. She wasn’t in a highly buzzed about billion dollar movie. I think Emily Blunt and Jamie Lee Curtis had more of a chance for their horror movies than she did for her low grossing horror film that was only popular in certain circles. She was never getting a Best actress nomination, people were just being delusional.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’ve heard many people talk about how much they loved his performance, so yes, he has passion.

lol many people lol You go ahead and predict him. I wont stop you.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I don’t think you can ever count Leo out, however, he won the Oscar and that kinda diminishes the “need” to get him in the nominating circle, you know? Throwing the nominations at him willy-nilly (not that he never deserved them, imo) rather seemed a… ‘Will he get the Oscar THIS TIME?!’ kinda thing. Well, he done got the Oscar so getting his name in the mix doesn’t have that same sense of urgency.

However, again, it’s Leo. I’d never count him out.

He was really really good in it. Hilarious. His scene with the little girl on the porch was my favorite. But look at how stacked BA is, and it’s early November. So I was thinking they may not nominate him at all, since he’s already won. I am not a fan of spreading the wealth.

He might be the most vulnerable.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

lol many people lol You go ahead and predict him. I wont stop you.

If you weren’t so busy acting like a smug asshole you might’ve noticed that I said I’m not predicting him. I want him to get in, but I don’t expect it. And why does my statement warrant two lols? In addition to friends and family who told me they loved him, I’ve seen multiple critics and users on this site give Egerton high praise for his work. Do you have something against Egerton or Elton John? Cause this isn’t the first time you started acting like a know it all when I mentioned his chances. I seem to recall you were implying that Elton isn’t a British national treasure (which is completely false) when I said I think he’ll make Bafta. Whether you have a bias or not, you’re attitude about Taron’s chances doesn’t make you look smart, just full of yourself.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

lol. You don’t have to like his posting style and he irritates me too once in a blue moon. But I caution you that he knows more and understands more about film and the film business than 99.999% of the people in this room. He’s also politically astute.

I ALWAYS read what he has to say. Nobody’s right all the time but that’s not relevant here.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by teri.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    GregSprinkles
    Topics:

The problem wasn’t that I disagree with him. The problem is that he came across as exceptionally and pointlessly rude. This isn’t the first time he’s acted like this to me, and I’m not just referring to the previously mentioned discussion of Egerton’s chances at Bafta. When you present your arguments and opinions in a mean spirited and overly confrontational manner, it ends up undermining the point you’re trying to make.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 467 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.