Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 487 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +12 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Babygirl
thatnerdgreg
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

This. I’ve stated it multiple times and I’m glad someone else agrees with me. Washington being nominated over Franco is a fairly typical result for the Oscars, given how revered the Washington is (he’s never really been what you’d call snubbed) and how much of a creepy weirdo Franco was playing (Oscar has often had trouble with those types of performances unless they feature in major Best Picture contenders). At the last minute I switched my 5th place prediction from Franco to Washington and the allegations had nothing to do with that decision.

We’re usually on the same page, which I like. Lol

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

They are more level headed in their responses than the hysteria displayed by the usual suspects.

talking about my posts on the other thread?

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

talking about my posts on the other thread?

No. I was referring to the tweets made re Joaquin. You have, a special kind of tunnel vision when it comes to Joker, despite the fact I agree with you.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

One thing I’m pretty certain of: whoever wins the Globe is taking the momentum all the way to the Oscars. I still think Phoenix and Joker are going to appeal really strongly to Globe voters, especially since they’re starving for attention. But if Driver wins I’ll switch my predictions.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

A “Weak year” is mostly caused by The Academy’s narrow point of view. There has been spectacular performances this year in all 4 categories that just aren’t on the Academy’s radar.

A “Weak year” is mostly caused by The Academy’s narrow point of view. There has been spectacular performances this year in all 4 categories that just aren’t on the Academy’s radar.

Every single year there’s disappointment over dozens of worthy perfs. This guy was egregiously overlooked, this actress was unfairly snubbed, over there was worthy of the win.
    Plus it implies that the hard working and talented actors wouldnt be there if it weren’t for it being a “weak year”.
    Imagine reading that if you were a contender how that would make you feel
    jmho

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  teri.

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

This race reminds me so much of Sam Rockwell/ Willem Dafoe a few years ago. Adam Driver will be the critics darling and win all of the critics awards, but when we shift to the televised awards shows Joaquin will sweep like Sam Rockwell did for Three Billboards.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

This race reminds me so much of Sam Rockwell/ Willem Dafoe a few years ago. Adam Driver will be the critics darling and win all of the critics awards, but when we shift to the televised awards shows Joaquin will sweep like Sam Rockwell did for Three Billboards.

</p>
    Agreed. I find it hard to imagine any of the televised awards giving the win to Driver when they could earn the attention and respect of millions of DC fans and general moviegoers by giving Joker and Joaquin the win. Especially since both performances are pretty much tied in praise. The popularity advantage will play a huge part in the voting process.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s a lot of pretending going on that it simply can’t happen with people who didn’t like the film or didn’t like the political tone.

Most of the Driver camp i find are sane and sensible. And although I see a lot of finger pointing at Joaquin supporters being insufferable, where are they? Not many from what I can see. If any side has put me off it’s that minority who act as if they have a superior intellect compared to the grunting knuckle dragging masses.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah but like Willem Dafoe didn’t win televised awards because The Florida Project wasn’t a strong contender anywhere else, same with Ethan Hawke. Three Billboards was a BP frontrunner so Sam Rockwell had the bigger advantage with visibility.

With MS being one of the BP frontrunners, critic award wins could help Driver.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah but like Willem Dafoe didn’t win televised awards because The Florida Project wasn’t a strong contender anywhere else, same with Ethan Hawke. Three Billboards was a BP frontrunner so Sam Rockwell had the bigger advantage with visibility.

With MS being one of the BP frontrunners, critic award wins could help Driver.

I think at the end of the day, Joker will be a lot closer to Marriage Story then people realize. Phillips gunning for that DGA spot.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I think at the end of the day, Joker will be a lot closer to Marriage Story then people realize. Phillips gunning for that DGA spot.

I disagree. Marriage Story is currently considered a lock for a Best Picture nomination, and it’s in the running to win (I’m not currently predicting it to happen, but I think it’s a definite possibility). If Joker gets nominated (I’m currently predicting that to happen, but I think it’s vulnerable in that regard), then the nomination will be its reward. I currently think Baumbach will be nominated, but he’s vulnerable. Todd Philips however will likely have a hard time breaking through into such a competitive field. I don’t see him getting any major nominations.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree. Marriage Story is currently considered a lock for a Best Picture nomination, and it’s in the running to win (I’m not currently predicting it to happen, but I think it’s a definite possibility). If Joker gets nominated (I’m currently predicting that to happen, but I think it’s vulnerable in that regard), then the nomination will be its reward. I currently think Baumbach will be nominated, but he’s vulnerable. Todd Philips however will likely have a hard time breaking through into such a competitive field. I don’t see him getting any major nominations.

Exactly. If Joker gets in BP it’s 7-8th place at best lol.

musicreloaded
    Participant
    Topics:

Its a joke to think Joaquin Phoenix´s JOKER will lose to a divorced man.

JOKER´s cultural impact WORLDWIDE is something that rarely happens in the film industry and the performance will be talked about years from now.

WINNER: JOAQUIN PHOENIX

Antonio, Taron, Adam and the others will be happy to be nominated next to Joaquin.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it amusing how stating that Marriage Story being “only about divorce” is still seen as a logical argument against Driver. A performance can be emotionally resonant regardless of what you think of the subject matter, and I find it sad that extreme and over-the-top topics must automatically be regarded as more worthy. Common, everyday topics can be just as emotionally resonant if performed/examined well enough.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it amusing how stating that Marriage Story being “only about divorce” is still seen as a logical argument against Driver. Your personal definition of a worthwhile topic has no impact on which performance industry members will find more emotionally resonant.

That and the classic “mArRiaGe sToRy iS nOT a oNe mAn sHoW!1!1!1”

But it’s funny how people don’t realize there’s a lot of baity things you can do with characters who are going through a divorce and how much emotional impact Driver’s role can have on voters because of how relatable Charlie is lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.