Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
Moviebuff22
Human Bartender
Hammad Asif
  • Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Let’s continue the conversation from Part 6

Profile picture
    arabian
    Topics:

My list now is:

Adam Driver
    Joaquin Phoenix
    Leonardo DiCaprio
    Antonio Banderas
    Taron Egerton

I do think that Egerton will get BAFTA and DeNiro has had too many major snubs. I think that there is too much passion for Banderas for him not to sneak in. On the other hand, I just don’t think that Murphy is getting enough love. I do think that Adam Sandler is still a wild card and could get in. He keeps getting those Critics wins. But right now this is my list.

Profile picture
    CitizenBlake
    Topics:

Sandler actually deserves to get nominated this year in my opinion, but logically he won’t. SAG and Golden Globes did him in. I think if he sneaks into BAFTA and continues accumulating critics prizes, he might swoop in over Banderas/Egerton. In any case, if Sandler does get in it would be a well deserved nod even if I can’t stand to look at him without thinking of the bullshittery and wasted potential of his past filmography. If he wins the Oscar it would be a great win too.

I want my guy Banderas to win everything, but he won’t. He’d be sorta lucky making it into this category after SAG.

I’ve got a question lol… which one is more unlikely to happen, Sandler winning the Oscar, Driver not being nominated or Egerton missing out on BAFTA?

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Locks:

Phoenix

Driver

DiCaprio

Post BAFTA locks

Egerton

Banderas

Sandler’s recognition will stay in the critical circuit. I don’t see Murphy getting past Golden Globes nomination. The film’s momentum kinda just fell flat after Globes nominations. De Niro snubs took him out of the race. Bale is sub par compared to the rest of the nominees. Egerton scores BAFTA nomination and rides all major precursor noms. to an Oscar. Banderas rides Golden Globe drama and replaces Bale.

Profile picture
    arabian
    Topics:

Sandler actually deserves to get nominated this year in my opinion, but logically he won’t. SAG and Golden Globes did him in. I think if he sneaks into BAFTA and continues accumulating critics prizes, he might swoop in over Banderas/Egerton. In any case, if Sandler does get in it would be a well deserved nod even if I can’t stand to look at him without thinking of the bullshittery and wasted potential of his past filmography. If he wins the Oscar it would be a great win too. I want my guy Banderas to win everything, but he won’t. He’d be sorta lucky making it into this category after SAG. I’ve got a question lol… which one is more unlikely to happen, Sandler winning the Oscar, Driver not being nominated or Egerton missing out on BAFTA?

Driver not being nominated. With all of the praise he’s gotten, I *could* conceivably see Sandler winning the Oscar. With Rocketman being so far out and so many other worthy performances, I could easily see Egerton not winning. With Driver being nominated EVERYWHERE and winning SO MANY awards, with breaking into the Oscar race last year, with the year he’s had in 2019, with the ‘career-best performance’ (even if I personally disagree) reviews across the board he’s gotten for Marriage Story… yeah, I just don’t see how he doesn’t get an Oscar nomination.

As for Sandler’s performance, yeah, I don’t have a problem with him actually and he’s actually had some great comedic films: Billy Madison, The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates. The problem is that he’s had so many awful ones… but the Academy Awards aren’t about crappy films one has done in the past. They are about the film that you are doing now and supposedly giving a great, Oscar-worthy performance in. By all accounts, that is exactly what Sandler is doing… and it’s not the first time. This isn’t an anomaly. Punch-Drunk Love got him tons of kudos too.

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

Banderas is safe for a nod at BAFTA (where we should all be looking out for Almodóvar in director, because nowhere else but BAFTA is Pain and Glory going to perform better) which should, theoretically, secure him a slot at the Oscars. I would like to think, then, that if Sandler does make a play at the Oscars, it would be at the expense of someone like DiCaprio, but you may be right – in this case, Banderas and Sandler may be playing to the same crowd, as unusual as that may seem to some who hold Sandler’s previous filmography against him.

Most unlikely? Sandler winning the Oscar, unfortunately.

In an ideal world, choosing from among the top contenders, this category could be the best it’s been in years: Banderas, De Niro, Driver, Pitt (for either film, really), Sandler.

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

BAFTA will secure both Egerton and Banderas nominations. Hopefully Almodovar get’s in considering they nominated Pawel last year and he rode that all the way to the Oscars. If Pedro gets in Director and Foreign Language and Screenplay then I don’t see Banderas not being nominated.

Profile picture
    Matthew anzalone
    Topics:

I have Bandares, Dicaprio, Driver, Egerton, and Phoenix as my final 5. I feel like Sandler needs to get in at Baftas in order to be considered for an oscar nom (theres no way thats happening).

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

Lol really nobody thinks Bale is making it? Looks like I’m gonna gain some points come nominations day ;p

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

It would be very surprising if Edgerton AND Banderas get in given neither comes from a Best Picture nominee. If you consider FvF or The Two Popes to be out of BP it would be even more unusual to include their respective actors.

Phoenix – likely BP nominee
    Driver – BP nominee
    DiCaprio – BP nominee (top 3 film)
    De Niro – BP nominee (top 3 film)

If there’s space for any of these last minute surgers I’m afraid I think there is only space for one. If you like to hedge your bets throw Bale in because there’s no way Bale, DiCaprio, and De Niro all miss for Edgerton, Banderas, and Sandler. If you like to gamble I’d say Banderas is the likeliest of the three.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Nikhil Nandu.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Nikhil Nandu.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

I think Bale gets the last slot because he’s a household name and also a lot of voters will be watching Ford V. Ferrari, I personally think it will make it into best picture.

1. Phoenix
    2. Driver
    3. DiCaprio
    4. Banderas
    5. Bale

Profile picture
    Bird
    Topics:

Adam Sandler would be in a much better position if they had released Uncut Gems a few weeks earlier. That PTA has built some real buzz around him and the film, which could have helped him get into SAG or Globes if it happened sooner.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Lol really nobody thinks Bale is making it? Looks like I’m gonna gain some points come nominations day ;p

Go right ahead. Banderas is a lock. No1curr about Ford v Ferrari. This is Daniel Bruhl in Rush all over again.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I think Bale gets the last slot because he’s a household name and also a lot of voters will be watching Ford V. Ferrari, I personally think it will make it into best picture. 1. Phoenix 2. Driver 3. DiCaprio 4. Banderas 5. Bale

You will Bale is more of a household name than De Niro?

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Lmfao Sandler is not winning no damn Oscar or even being nominated. What is this mess? Banderas is practically a lock since passion picks like him always get the nom unless they are Ethan Hawke in a weird, cold movie like First Reformed with absolutely no campaigning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.