Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 506 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Moviebuff22
wattsgold
  • lorelei lor
    Participant
    Topics:

Still so sad for Taron! The kid sang, danced and became Elton. Yet they nominate that actor from that bore fest of a movie about the pope. A damn mess

Pryce is amazing. It’s DiCaprio who shouldn’t have gotten a nom in Best Actor for the sixth time.

fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

It is unlikely but I would love it if SAG went to Adam Driver on Sunday. I am predicting Phoenix and hoping that next year’s awards season goes better than this year – and hoping we get a great film to win BP this year (1917 or Parasite) to make up for the 3 lousy acting winners that are feeling inevitable. Also BAFTA may surprise us but I doubt it will happen ):

Same. I just think the formula is becoming so predictable – lose weight, physical transformation, play someone who is an outcast / mentally ill etc that any actor who does that kind of role automatically ends up in the frame for the Oscar.

Personally I’d love to see the straightforward nuance and emotion of a Driver-type performance rewarded. He’s excellent in the movie, it’s just not as ‘showy’ of a role.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

Same. I just think the formula is becoming so predictable – lose weight, physical transformation, play someone who is an outcast / mentally ill etc that any actor who does that kind of role automatically ends up in the frame for the Oscar. Personally I’d love to see the straightforward nuance and emotion of a Driver-type performance rewarded. He’s excellent in the movie, it’s just not as ‘showy’ of a role.

I can’t think of any other movie more Oscar-baity than that bore of Marriage Story with its self-absorbed and showbiz-bound characters (add all the forced yelling, spitting and wall smashing) so it’s hilarious that you criticize Joker for its main role. Envy and frustration can lead to crazy ass posts.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t think of any other movie more Oscar-baity than that bore of Marriage Story with its self-absorbed and showbiz-bound characters (add all the forced yelling, drool and wall smashing) so it’s hilarious that you criticize Joker for its main role. Envy and frustration can lead to crazy ass posts.

Marriage Story is an obnoxious film. I hated all the characters.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

My Best Actor Ranking

1. Antonio Banderas (Pain and Glory)
    2. Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
    3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon A Time in Hollywood)
    4. Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes)
    5. Adam Driver (Marriage Boredom)

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Driver could take SAG and open it back up, but agree it looks like Phoenix’ to lose. Just annoying that he’s getting it as a ‘career’ Oscar rather than for giving the actual best performance of the year (IMO Driver and Banderas both better) when he should have won for The Master.

Yeah, whatever you need to tell yourself. This (these) user(s) =  a hoot.

cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

For me, Joaquin Phoenix, Adam Driver and Antonio Banderas delivered the finest performances of the year. My favorite is definitely Joaquin Phoenix. I know it’s been always Phoenix vs Driver since the beginning of the Oscar race but I think it should have been Phoenix vs Banderas. Personally, I find Banderas’ performance better than Driver’s. This doesn’t mean Driver wasn’t good. Driver was good. In fact, he was great. But Banderas’ acting felt so real. He’s being underestimated.

smindymix
    Participant
    Topics:

Banderas was by far my second favorite male performance of the year. Very happy he got nominated.

Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

I would have no problem with Phoenix, Driver, Pryce or Banderas winning Best Actor – sorry, Leo. Of course, “Joker” has this and will probably get my Gold Derby vote.

fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t think of any other movie more Oscar-baity than that bore of Marriage Story with its self-absorbed and showbiz-bound characters (add all the forced yelling, spitting and wall smashing) so it’s hilarious that you criticize Joker for its main role. Envy and frustration can lead to crazy ass posts.

I am neither envious nor frustrated. Joaquin was great but I don’t think this was his best role. That’s all.

If you would like to have a conversation about why I think that rather than just call me names then great.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  fefface.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  fefface.
    KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

I could not agree more. Marriage Story should be renamed OSCARBAIT STORY it is so nakedly an awards play. Nobody plays in a comic book movie to win acting awards. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I am neither envious nor frustrated. Joaquin was great but I don’t think this was his best role. That’s all. If you would like to have a conversation about why I think that rather than just call me names then great.

Yeah, Joker isn’t Joaquin’s best role. He was great, and I think he clearly elevated the part, but in all honesty, I just don’t think Arthur Fleck is a super interesting character. To me, the film’s main problem is that the characters don’t feel believable, even if the actors playing the roles are very good.

Spark87
    Participant
    Topics:

Banderas was by far my second favorite male performance of the year. Very happy he got nominated.

All the nominated are good or great performances. I don’t consider Banderas’ performance that great (but maybe it’s because my native language is spanish, and I don’t get what’s so special about speaking spanish fluently xD) but I definatelly have his performance much higher than Driver’s. Is a natural nuanced one, maybe I will appreciated it more by the pass of the years, who knows.

My personal Top 5 male leading performances this year is: 1. Joaquin Phoenix (Joker), 2. Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Luce), 3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), 4. James McAvoy (Glass), 5. Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes). But the actual line-up is trully great.

cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

I am neither envious nor frustrated. Joaquin was great but I don’t think this was his best role. That’s all. If you would like to have a conversation about why I think that rather than just call me names then great.

Yeah, Joker isn’t Joaquin’s best role. He was great, and I think he clearly elevated the part, but in all honesty, I just don’t think Arthur Fleck is a super interesting character. To me, the film’s main problem is that the characters don’t feel believable, even if the actors playing the roles are very good.

I don’t think it’s about his best performance. I think it’s about the best performance of the year. Joaquin is an amazing actor so he delivers amazing performances. If Joker isn’t his best performance, it’s still the best performance of the year. I will never get why he wasn’t nominated for his role in Her though.

cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

All the nominated are good or great performances. I don’t consider Banderas’ performance that great (but maybe it’s because my native language is spanish, and I don’t get what’s so special about speaking spanish fluently xD) but I definatelly have his performance much higher than Driver’s. Is a natural nuanced one, maybe I will appreciated it more by the pass of the years, who knows. My personal Top 5 male leading performances this year is: 1. Joaquin Phoenix (Joker), 2. Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Luce), 3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood), 4. James McAvoy (Glass), 5. Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes). But the actual line-up is trully great.

Banderas’ performance isn’t about speaking Spanish fluently. He felt and lived his character. He conveyed his character’s emotions and fears to audience perfectly. That’s what counts when it comes to his performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.