Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Moviebuff22
wattsgold
  • Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, DiCaprio is probably voting for himself…

I doubt.

Whole 70s born lot of actors will vote for Phoenix.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember when folks thought Driver had it all lol, some even mocked Phoenix not winning enough critics awards. THEN it only took the GG and unlike Bale who was labeled frontrunner after he won the Globe, Phoenix with a GG is like… the race is over. We’ve all seen that room when Glenn Close herself said Joaquin Phoenix. I doubt Academy Award winner Leonardo Dicaprio votes for Driver, in fact Phoenix might be winning with 80% of votes

Let’s not act like Phoenix was always the dominant frontrunner. For a while he and Driver were neck and neck, and after that AACTA win for Driver I started to sweat. The Golden Globes sealed Driver’s fate this year, but not Bale’s because he still won in Comedy. It was the SAG’s that solidified Malek’s win. That’s why Phoenix is such a dominant frontrunner now after his Globe win: because Driver was in the Drama category with him and there was no competition in Comedy (Egerton was never going to win this year).

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember a couple of months ago I said Marriage Story should go into the Comedy categories to give itself easy wins and make itself a bigger contender. You guys said I was crazy: Marriage Story was going to go into Drama and still win everything anyway. After watching the film I realize Marriage Story in Comedy would have been massive category fraud (and it might have been voted out like Uncut Gems was) but if the fraud was successful it would have easily won all 3 Comedy categories plus Dern and been in a much better place right now. Now it’s locked out of every category except Supporting Actress. I’m glad that they did the honorable thing though and didn’t fraud.

Academy-Award winners:

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw Pain and Glory. Wow. Antonio Banderas’ work was inspired. While Driver is still my favorite in this race, a Banderas win would be very welcome, although I know it’s not gonna happen. He may have given my second favorite performance of the year. I’ll have to mull it over, but he and Taron Egerton feel very close in that regard. I’m very glad he got that nomination, it would’ve been a crime for him to get snubbed.

There are so many performances by leading actors this year that definitely would’ve been my favorite to win if they came out in last year’s much weaker race. This category is an embarrassment of riches.

Michel Nardini
    Participant
    Topics:

I remember a couple of months ago I said Marriage Story should go into the Comedy categories to give itself easy wins and make itself a bigger contender. You guys said I was crazy: Marriage Story was going to go into Drama and still win everything anyway. After watching the film I realize Marriage Story in Comedy would have been massive category fraud (and it might have been voted out like Uncut Gems was) but if the fraud was successful it would have easily won all 3 Comedy categories plus Dern and been in a much better place right now. Now it’s locked out of every category except Supporting Actress. I’m glad that they did the honorable thing though and didn’t fraud.

I think it is ridiculous to think it would have made a difference in the Best Actor final result. It would only have made more difficult to predict the winner earlier. That’s all.

The globes are good PREDICTORS not great influencers. It’s not 90 people who are telling 7,000 people how they should vote. They AMPAS still vote for who they want.

cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

As someone who recently watched Joaquin Phoenix’ remarkable performance in the Master, I definitely think his performance in Joker is better than the Master. It’s extraordinary. He deserves to win.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  cinetastic.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  cinetastic.
    wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

As someone who recently watched Joaquin Phoenix’ remarkable performance in the Master, I definitely think his performance in Joker is better than the Master. It’s extraordinary. He deserves to win.

Fingers crossed.

Alanh
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen both superb performances, I think it’ll be Pheonix. BUT….Remember last year when Glenn Close was considered a lock for Best Actress. You never know…….

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, the one who deserves to win is Banderas. Thatcher hopes he wins a la Colman, even though Joke is clearly sweeping.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

nevkm
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen both superb performances, I think it’ll be Pheonix. BUT….Remember last year when Glenn Close was considered a lock for Best Actress. You never know…….

It’s not the same thing. Joker is nominated for 11 Oscars.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Colman had the comedy Globe and BAFTA though. This year’s Comedy Actor winner didn’t even get nominated, and BAFTA loves Joker so Phoneix will easily win there. There’s no path for anyone else to upset.

Academy-Award winners:

KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

Nobody is a lock to win yet so for all I know Phoenix could not win but the comparison to Glenn Close makes no sense. Close wasn’t in a film that got multiple Oscar nominations, including picture, directing, screenplay and editing. As a matter of fact Colman was in such a film and ended up winning.

oscarin7
    Participant
    Topics:

Phoenix is sweeping this season. He’s unstoppable and it’s amazing.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

If Phoenix wins tonight as expected it’s all over. But if there is an upset and Driver wins tonight then we have a competitive race. I am expecting Phoenix and hoping for the upset. It was only a few years ago that Denzel Washington unexpectedly won at SAG when most of us thought that Casey Affleck was going to sweep everything. Affleck still won the Oscar though. A Driver win would breath life into the race. I am predicting Phoenix though, and will only switch my Oscar prediction of Driver wins tonight.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Close-Up with The Hollywood Reporter is doing it’s actor’s roundtable today on Sundance at 10 a.m. EST. The actors participating are Adam Driver, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Jamie Foxx, Adam Sandler and Shia LeBeouf. Only the first two are Oscar nominees this year – Foxx is nominated at SAG tonight and LeBeouf is nominated at Indie Spirits. De Niro is getting the Lifetime Achievement award at SAG tonight. I enjoy these roundtables (:

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.