Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 506 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
Moviebuff22
wattsgold
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I only held onto the chance that there might be a race because no one expected Driver to win the AACTA and he won that. But with Phoenix winning the SAG, yup, it’s all she wrote. I still preferred the performances of Driver (and DiCaprio), but I’ve been a fan of Phoenix since his debut so many years ago and I certainly think his performance in Joker is worthy of a win. Anyhoo, I have faith that Driver will win… eventually. (I mean, Phoenix is finally getting his, right?)

Driver coming so close this year only strengthens his overdue narrative. I don’t think he’ll have to wait through several nominations like Ronan, and will probably get his first Oscar sooner rather than later. There’s a strong chance even that his next performance gets him the win.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Teresa Chavez
    Topics:

Driver coming so close this year only strengthens his overdue narrative. I don’t think he’ll have to wait through several nominations like Ronan, and will probably get his first Oscar sooner rather than later. There’s a strong chance even that his next performance gets him the win.

Driver is not overdue wtf.

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

I’m just glad De Niro didn’t get a lot of nominations this season. I mean I don’t hate him but he did nothing award worthy in The Irishman. That film is such a bore.

Profile picture
    Nicolás Pintamalli
    Topics:

I think in acting categories this is already locked. Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt and Dern.

They’ve been pretty steady since their main contender were nominated in the same categories at the GGs and other awards.

I’m refering to the exceptional case of Glenn Close. Winning GG, SAG and tying Critic’s choice with Olivia Colman (who won in comedy category at the GGs).

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I think in acting categories this is already locked. Phoenix, Zellweger, Pitt and Dern.

They’ve been pretty steady since their main contender were nominated in the same categories at the GGs and other awards.

I’m refering to the exceptional case of Glenn Close. Winning GG, SAG and tying Critic’s choice with Olivia Colman (who won in comedy category at the GGs).

Glenn tied at CC with Gaga against Olivia, but Olivia did win the Comedy CC. So, she won everything except SAG, where she probably came in second.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Joaquin is winning.

His speech at SAG last night was actually good.

Profile picture
    Moviebuff22
    Topics:

This is an overstatement lol

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Driver is not overdue. He will probably win one day though. On a similar note, Ronan’s mistake is continuing to try to win with costume dramas. Ask my beloved Keira Knightley how that is working out for her?

Profile picture
    Teresa Chavez
    Topics:

I don’t think Adam Driver is winning the Oscar in 2 or 3 years.

He surely is no longer unknown within the Academy’s closed doors, but he’s definitely not what Leonardo was after his loss for Blood Diamond.
    Driver coattailed last year, and he was definitely not missing for MS. Let’s just not pretend he’s overdue or he’s an academy darling because he clearly isn’t.

He will have to be against 4 previous winners or have the huge acclaim/support to prevail at the Oscars.

Y’all painting it like the path for him will be so easy now that he’s an established name. It that was the casse, Leonardo would have won way before 2016.

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Joaquin was so charming with his speech last night.
    The part when he mentioned Leo was my favorite.

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

I don’t think Adam Driver is winning the Oscar in 2 or 3 years.

He surely is no longer unknown within the Academy’s closed doors, but he’s definitely not what Leonardo was after his loss for Blood Diamond.
    Driver coattailed last year, and he was definitely not missing for MS. Let’s just not pretend he’s overdue or he’s an academy darling because he clearly isn’t.

He will have to be against 4 previous winners or have the huge acclaim/support to prevail at the Oscars.

Y’all painting it like the path for him will be so easy now that he’s an established name. It that was the casse, Leonardo would have won way before 2016.

And you’re painting it like Driver isn’t firmly in second place this year and doesn’t have just one guy to deal with. Next time he could have nobody to deal with like Laura Dern. Who knows? Leo didn’t win until 2016 because there was always somebody else. Until there wasn’t. Same thing could happen to Driver…. or not. Again, who knows?

I’m sure you weren’t saying in January 2017 that Mahershala Ali would win again in 2019. But it happened.

Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

Driver is excellent, he will win eventually. But this is finally the year of Phoenix.

Joaquin did very well in the speech. Humble and respectful. Best speech I’ve ever seen from him.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Driver is not overdue wtf.

Overdue narrative doesn’t necessarily mean you’re overdue. It just means that in a couple years people will think that and then his near-miss this year will strengthen his chances at winning next time. Just like how Phoenix came so close to winning in 2012 and then his next nomination got him the win (though that was 7 years later).

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Keth
    Topics:

Driver is excellent, he will win eventually. But this is finally the year of Phoenix.

Joaquin did very well in the speech. Humble and respectful. Best speech I’ve ever seen from him.

Phoenix gave the performance of the year. I’m not taking anything away from Adam Driver, who was Oscar worthy in “Marriage Story”, but Joaquin was just a little more..

Profile picture
    Teresa Chavez
    Topics:

Overdue narrative doesn’t necessarily mean you’re overdue. It just means that in a couple years people will think that and then his near-miss this year will strengthen his chances at winning next time. Just like how Phoenix came so close to winning in 2012 and then his next nomination got him the win (though that was 7 years later).

Exactly, so stop acting like Driver was winning in 2022.

Besides Joaquin isn’t overdue either, he didn’t campaign on that billboard, his performance speaks for itself + box office. He doesn’t have any narrative whatsoever that’s exactly how it should be.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.