Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Moviebuff22
wattsgold
  • fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Phoenix far and away should win best actor. I know that people that hate Joker have convinced themselves that his acting is bad because they can’t see beyond their dislike of the film but there is a reason why he has won all of these awards for a COMIC BOOK MOVIE no less. On that same note I think Driver is good in Marriage Story but I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone sees that as an Oscar winning performance. I’m still trying to figure out why a solid but run of the mill rich people get divorced drama is being treated like a masterpiece as well. Joker is far from perfect but at least I can understand why certain people adore it. Anyway, Driver is losing this award precisely because of how run-of-the-mill Marriage Story is. The film just doesn’t stick to your bones beyond Dern’s fun performance. Maybe they’ll throw the film a screenplay win? I doubt it. And in case you think that I’m against subtle performances I most certainly am not. I don’t think a performance is better just because somebody yells a lot.

Because art is subjective, and sometimes people like things and other people don’t? There are just as many people that disliked Joker as liked it – that doesn’t make it objectively good or bad, it just means that people got different things from it. Same for Marriage Story, or Irishman, or anything else. I know a ton of people who loved Marriage Story because they resonated with the story. I know a ton of people who loved Joker. I also know people who loathed both.

smindymix
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Phoenix far and away should win best actor. I know that people that hate Joker have convinced themselves that his acting is bad because they can’t see beyond their dislike of the film but there is a reason why he has won all of these awards for a COMIC BOOK MOVIE no less. On that same note I think Driver is good in Marriage Story but I can’t for the life of me understand how anyone sees that as an Oscar winning performance. I’m still trying to figure out why a solid but run of the mill rich people get divorced drama is being treated like a masterpiece as well. Joker is far from perfect but at least I can understand why certain people adore it. Anyway, Driver is losing this award precisely because of how run-of-the-mill Marriage Story is. The film just doesn’t stick to your bones beyond Dern’s fun performance. Maybe they’ll throw the film a screenplay win? I doubt it. And in case you think that I’m against subtle performances I most certainly am not. I don’t think a performance is better just because somebody yells a lot.

THANK. YOU.

It was a perfectly fine Netflix romantic dramedy with some outstanding moments, but I don’t know what got the critics and would-be critics so in their feelings lol. I’m glad the voters know better.

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

I rewatched marriage story and I for the life of me can’t understand how Laura Dern is sweeping for that performance. If anything driver or Scarlett deserves a win before her. Wins like this are why people shouldn’t value the Oscars lol

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

THANK. YOU. It was a perfectly fine Netflix romantic dramedy with some outstanding moments, but I don’t know what got the critics and would-be critics so in their feelings lol. I’m glad the voters know better.

And people think Phoenix’s performance is over the top. I happen to think quite the opposite. He’s got moments that are but overall he builds up to those moments and is pretty nuanced for most of the film.

Michel Nardini
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Anyway, Driver is losing this award precisely because of how run-of-the-mill Marriage Story is.

</p>
    He is losing it because Joker is a box office phenomenon and the Oscar needs audience. The same reason they gave Black Panther (travesty of a movie) 3 oscars and a BP nos. Also the overdue narrative and physical transformation they like so much. It is all but the acting.

NevadaR
    Participant
    Topics:

I rewatched marriage story and I for the life of me can’t understand how Laura Dern is sweeping for that performance. If anything driver or Scarlett deserves a win before her. Wins like this are why people shouldn’t value the Oscars lol

Agreed. Both Adam and Scarlett were miles better but Laura Dern got lucky with such a weak category. It wouldn’t be the first time the weakest performance takes the Oscar in the end.

Teresa Chavez
    Participant
    Topics:

To me Marriage Story was always poised to crash. This film was just too conventional to make it through and win big.

Dern is winning yes, but other factors than her actual performance are the reasons for why she is taking home this Oscar. The best supporting actress category is so weak this year and these nominees narratives are just way weaker than hers.

Back to Driver, I’ve never thought 1 second he would win over Joaquin Phoenix. He was has typical baity performance critics tend to go nuts for, so it made sense for me that he would sweep the critics awards considering the acclaim. I wasn’t impressed either by his AACTA win either, in fact I knew when Driver loses the GG, he would crash for a no return.

Film expert
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> He is losing it because Joker is a box office phenomenon and the Oscar needs audience. The same reason they gave Black Panther (travesty of a movie) 3 oscars and a BP nos. Also the overdue narrative and physical transformation they like so much. It is all but the acting.

Hey buddy, we already had enough fun becouse of your meltdown coming from Driver losing. You can stop now.

Joaquin is winning becouse majority of people think that he gave by far superior performence and in three weeks will find out that majority of Academy members feel the same.

You can relax man, it’s over.

fefface
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey buddy, we already had enough fun becouse of your meltdown coming from Driver losing. You can stop now. Joaquin is winning becouse majority of people think that he gave by far superior performence and in three weeks will find out that majority of Academy members feel the same. You can relax man, it’s over.

It’s funny though, I’m pretty new to this forum and my favourite performance of the year (Pattinson) isn’t nominated, but most of the people being dicks about who wins or doesn’t win that I’ve seen are Joker fans gloating about Joaquin sweeping.

Like why is this thread such a cesspool? The threads for other categories don’t seem to be. Some people think Driver deserves it, some people Phoenix, others neither. Why is it such a big deal? People are allowed to think he shouldn’t win without getting called names or whatever. And if Phoenix himself can acknowledge his competitors were great, his fans should be able to.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  fefface.
    KAZ-2.5
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> He is losing it because Joker is a box office phenomenon and the Oscar needs audience. The same reason they gave Black Panther (travesty of a movie) 3 oscars and a BP nos. Also the overdue narrative and physical transformation they like so much. It is all but the acting.

Avengers Endgame grossed 2.8 billion dollars and they didn’t nominate it for best picture nor was Robert Downey Jr nominated for best supporting actor. Nominating that film and RDJ would be even better for the ratings.  Amy Adams, Glenn Close and Michael Keaton were all overdue and they didn’t win. An overdue narrative does help of course but it can only take an actor so far if the voters don’t like the performance enough.

I think Black Panther is great and deserved the best picture nomination. That’s just my and the Academy’s opinion of course.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

People meltdowns

Bots meltdowns

Thatcher meltdowns

This race is anything but not inclusive

Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, it’s hilarious how everyone says now they have been predicting Joke all the time. Thatcher was one of the only ones to tell the truth back in September and some of you supported my words but most of you were delusional/blind by stanning predicting Nose. Disgusting hipocrisy.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Arden
    Participant
    Topics:

Remember when Driver stans thought the race was over when he won AACTA, lol! And… stop the nonsense, Driver is NOT overdue, just like he’s not winning in 2-3 years lol.

And how they mocked Phoenix stans for him not winning enough critics’ awards and also saying that Driver is sweeping? Yeah.

Way to remind yourself that critics’ awards mean very little.

María Elena
    Participant
    Topics:

Calm down, amigos. Joaquín is winning because he gave the best performance. And his movie was the biggest one of the nominees. How can you say he was bad when he was one of the best frontrunners we’ve had since Day-Lewis back in 2007. Felicidades, Joaquín!

I don't trust her, Juan Antonio. Her eyes are not one color.

Teresa Chavez
    Participant
    Topics:

Tell me who is winning next year then, with the help of your Crystal ball.

My crystal ball is telling me that Driver is NOT upsetting at BAFTAs, that’s all you need to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.