Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 506 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
Moviebuff22
wattsgold
  • Profile picture
    DevonshireGold
    Topics:

Put me down for

Driver
    Phoenix – WINNER
    DiCaprio
    Egerton
    Banderas

Quality of performance and movies aside, Egerton getting in over De Niro is (I think) expected due to 1) Elton’s popularity after years of Oscars parties; 2) campaigning with fresh face & charming back story; 3) old school musical; 4) shorter movie that’s much more fun to watch (and re-watch) with family over the holidays; 5) preference for Paramount over Netflix. Perhaps also voters wouldn’t like to see Taron performing the song without an acting nomination.

I’m wondering if the Star Wars movie hurt Driver’s chance. The last most people will have seen of him is Kylo Ren rather than Charlie.

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Put me down for

Driver
    Phoenix – WINNER
    DiCaprio
    Egerton
    Banderas

Quality of performance and movies aside, Egerton getting in over De Niro is (I think) expected due to 1) Elton’s popularity after years of Oscars parties; 2) campaigning with fresh face & charming back story; 3) old school musical; 4) shorter movie that’s much more fun to watch (and re-watch) with family over the holidays; 5) preference for Paramount over Netflix. Perhaps also voters wouldn’t like to see Taron performing the song without an acting nomination.

I’m wondering if the Star Wars movie hurt Driver’s chance. The last most people will have seen of him is Kylo Ren rather than Charlie.

Does voters really do that and if they do,he was the BEST part about ROS let alone whole sequel trilogy.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Rowan
    Topics:

I don’t think Star Wars will affect Driver at all. Actors understand that actors often end up in less-than-stellar movies, RoS was at least watchable for most people, and Driver’s performance in that movie was at least fine. If Eddie Redmayne can be nominated for The Danish Girl the same year he wins a Razzie for Jupiter Ascending I don’t think Star Wars is going to matter.

Profile picture
    smindymix
    Topics:

Because Joker is a Taxi Driver reboot?

It’s tired memes like this that make some Joker/Joaquin fans defensive. There are obvious influences from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy as well as other movies of that era, but people act like Phillips scene for scene ripped off those movies. I don’t know how you can have actually watched them all and seriously say that. I honestly believe most people who say that are just parroting some salty critic.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by smindymix.
    • This reply was modified 6 months ago by smindymix.
    Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

Still rooting for Joaquin. Hopefully he gets better at his speeches lol

Profile picture
    oscarin7
    Topics:

Egerton is definitely a lock after GG win.He may also win BAFTA if you remember 2013 where Chiwetel won. -Phoenix -Driver -Egerton -Banderas -DiCaprio SAG nominating Egerton was a huge telling.

Didn’t Chiwetel win because Matthew McConaughey wasn’t nominated that year?

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Didn’t Chiwetel win because Matthew McConaughey wasn’t nominated that year?

Yup both Jared and Matt were both snubbed at BAFTA that year, clearing the path for an easy win for Ejiofor.

I still think Pryce gets the 5th spot but since BAFTA seldom goes 5/5 I’ll take him out in place of Bale whose film was nominated at the PGA and will likely score an Oscar BP nom.

Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

Still rooting for Joaquin. Hopefully he gets better at his speeches lol

Joaquin has anxiety issues. As someone who suffers from that I can’t imagine doing what he is doing at these events. He feels passionately about animal rights and improving the lives of many which is what he talked about with doing better. I’d like him to talk a little about the issues his film raises with mental health and social services but he is awkward…and as someone else who is…I like it because it’s humanizing.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Didn’t Chiwetel win because Matthew McConaughey wasn’t nominated that year?

I think Ejiofor would’ve beaten McConaughey at BAFTA anyway; same with Abdi over Leto, although I’m slightly less confident about that. Dallas Buyers Club just isn’t a BAFTA kind of movie (just like Crazy Heart, for which Jeff Bridges lost BAFTA to home favourite Colin Firth in A Single Man).

I doubt Egerton wins BAFTA though with 11 nominations for Joker.

Profile picture
    jman02
    Topics:

If Eddie Redmayne can be nominated for The Danish Girl the same year he wins a Razzie for Jupiter Ascending I don’t think Star Wars is going to matter.

If Eddie Redmayne and Julianne Moore could both win Oscars during a voting period where Jupiter Ascending and Seventh Son, respectively, were playing in theaters, I think Adam Driver is going to be fine.

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

^ Star Wars being in theaters has a limited impact on Driver’s Oscar chances, it probably even helps. Well respected actors make bad movies literally all the time and are rarely held for the blame. Star Wars’ issues have nothing to do with Driver, and the film has more fans than foes despite how we as a community may feel on average (see Joker).

Driver is likely losing to Joaquin with or without Star Wars.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Right now, Joaquin Phoenix (Joker), Adam Driver (Marriage Story) and I would risk to say Taron Egerton (Rocketman) feel like locks for a nom.
    I don’t think DiCaprio is as safe as most people think – I know Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is one of the greatest Best Picture contenders of the year, but DiCaprio was snubed so many times before (The Departed, Revolutionary Road, J. Edgar or Django Unchained) that I feel he’ll miss again, specially now that he has an Oscar at home. He’s my #6 now, followed by Adam Sandler (Uncut Gems) in #7. I really believe Banderas will get it since Pain and Glory will appeal to the older voters and to the European block (plus, he’s the Cannes winner and he got the most prestigious critics associations prizes plus a Golden Globe nom) and the fifth place goes to Christian Bale for Ford v. Ferrari – the Academy has yet to ignore him for a post-The Fighter Oscary performance and he’s excellent and sympathetic as Ken Miles in a Best Picture contender that’s also a box-office hit domestically and internationally (and he got Golden Globe, SAG and the AACTA Award noms).

My current predictions:
    #1 Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    #2 Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    #3 Taron Egerton, Rocketman
    #4 Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    #5 Christian Bale, Ford v. Ferrari

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

I know Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is one of the greatest Best Picture contenders of the year, but DiCaprio was snubed so many times before (The Departed, Revolutionary Road, J. Edgar or Django Unchained) that I feel he’ll miss again, specially now that he has an Oscar at home.

The Departed-Nominated for Blood Diamond

Revolutionary Road-not a strong BP nominee

J.Edgar-not a strong BP nominee and flopped as a film

Django Unchained-Chris Waltz and Sam Jackson were pushed more ultimately Waltz winning.

Ultimately,DiCaprio is getting a nod for OUATIH after making everywhere where he should have in BP front runner.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Yup both Jared and Matt were both snubbed at BAFTA that year, clearing the path for an easy win for Ejiofor. I still think Pryce gets the 5th spot but since BAFTA seldom goes 5/5 I’ll take him out in place of Bale whose film was nominated at the PGA and will likely score an Oscar BP nom.

Dallas Buyers Club was ineligible for BAFTA that year. It only came out in February in the UK. So they weren’t snubbed.

FYC Emmys:

THE CROWN

Jane Lapotaire (Drama Guest Actress)
    Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Josh O'Connor (Drama Supporting Actor)
    Olivia Colman (Drama Actress)
    Tobias Menzies (Drama Actor)

KILLING EVE

Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress)
    Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress)
    Evgenia Dodina (Drama Guest Actress)
    Sean Delaney (Drama Guest Actor)

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

I used to think DiCaprio would miss too, I thought it’d be for De Niro cause back then I assumed The Irishman was the frontrunner. But after he got nominated at the BAFTA and OUATIH became the obvious frontrunner thanks to the Globes, I don’t see a path for DiCaprio to miss. Wish he didn’t win the Oscar for the garbage that The Revenant is, so he would be win competitive now.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actor (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.