Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 456 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Drama Globe- Zellweger

Comedy Globe- Theron

BAFTA- Ronan

Critics Choice- Zellweger

Comedy Critics Choice- Theron

SAG- Johansson

Oscar- Theron

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Renee is not half as undeniable as some of you are making her out to be. And her “comeback” narrative is overrated

She’s a strong contender for sure because she clearly has the performance but I don’t understand why some people act like she already has it in the bag when she’ll clearly face several obstacles : meager box office, paltry movie career following her Oscar win, already an Oscar winner, nowhere near legendary status to join the selective 2 Oscars club etc

I don’t understand where that unstoppable frontrunner status is coming from. Portman, Lawrence, Larson and Stone were hot ingenues, Streep is a legend, Frances is a very respected Triple Crown recipient backed by a big movie, Olivia also had a big movie + overwhelming BAFTA support and Cate and Julianne are amongst the most respected thespians of their generation and have been consistently great during their careers. I don’t even see where Renee would fit. She’s an early 00’s it girl who kinda faded after her Oscar win. Her comeback narrative would be more efficient had she found success on television and/or Broadway during the past 15 years but she didn’t

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Seven.
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how people conveniently keep forgetting Hilary Swank is a double Academy Award winner… She has one of the worst careers of any performer, not only for Academy Award-winning one. None of Zellweger’s movies were as trashy as most of Swank’s are. And please, spare me ‘but her second win was for M$B’ 🙄 I’ll stop predicting Zellweger only if she loses GG. And knowing how ruthless HFPA can be sometimes, she might get Hawkinsed. But at this point I just don’t see it.

Are you saying you didn’t care for P.S. I Love You….?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Renee is not half as undeniable as some of you are making her out to be. And her “comeback” narrative is overrated

She’s a strong contender for sure because she clearly has the performance but I don’t understand why some people act like she already has it in the bag when she’ll clearly face several obstacles : meager box office, paltry movie career following her Oscar win, already an Oscar winner, nowhere near legendary status to join the selective 2 Oscars club etc

I don’t understand where that unstoppable frontrunner status is coming from. Portman, Lawrence, Larson and Stone were hot ingenues, Streep is a legend, Frances is a very respected Triple Crown recipient backed by a big movie, Olivia also had a big movie + overwhelming BAFTA support and Cate and Julianne are amongst the most respected thespians of their generation and have been consistently great during their careers. I don’t even see where Renee would fit. She’s an early 00’s it girl who kinda faded after her Oscar win. Her comeback narrative would be more efficient had she found success on television and/or Broadway during the past 15 years but she didn’t

This.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Renee may not win but she’s very much a threat to do so.
    Comparing her to other actors doesn’t seem too relevant when it comes to Oscar.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I kinda like it… 😟

Lol. I have friends who loved it. I loaned them M$B and Boys Don’t Cry but the subject matter lost them.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Megyn Kelly doesn’t feel like an Oscar-winning role. AMPAS loved Renee in Judy. She’s winning the Drama Globe, and then her full sweep begins.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Megyn Kelly doesn’t feel like an Oscar-winning role. AMPAS loved Renee in Judy. She’s winning the Drama Globe, and then her full sweep begins.

Actors win for playing horrible people all the time.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed. Just for fun I checked out Oscar winners who played complete dicks. I was surprised to find that many of these murderer/ assholes are sympathetic to some degree.

Here’s my list of top A-holes who have won.

Ruth Gordon Rosemary’ s Baby
    Louise Fletcher OFOTCN
    Forest Whitaker The Last King of Scotland
    Javier Bardem NCFOM
    Mo’Nique
    Faye Dunaway Network

There are plenty of others.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t mean that.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t wait for Scarlett to sweep all of the precursors and for this forum to be filled with delicious salty tears.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Cupcakes, i been saying this last time, Megyn Kelly does NOT feel like an Oscar winning role. What we are NOT going to do is to pretend Megyn is relevant. Charlize will get her 3rd nod, but the role doesn’t scream Oscar like Judy for example.

Few things would scream Oscar more than Judy Garland.
    She’s going to need more than that to win though.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Few things would scream Oscar more than Judy Garland. She’s going to need more than that to win though.

something like spectacular reviews perhaps?

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

While I think Theron has a definite chance of winning, I also have a hard time imaging Megyn Kelly as an Oscar winning character. She’s a very divisive person, and while people have won for playing similarly divisive people in the past, I don’t know if I can think of any examples that are as modern as Kelly. Meanwhile, Judy Garland is one of the most beloved actresses of all time, and I’m guessing they’re gonna push the narrative of her having never won an Oscar, as there’s probably a decent number of voters who’d believe turning her into an Oscar winning role would be a way of making up for that.
    Anyway, does anyone know how exactly Megyn Kelly is portrayed in Bombshell? Cause if they try to portray her as a sort of white knight hero, then I’m guessing that’ll result in backlash from her real life detractors, which could hurt Theron’s chances of winning. I believe it would be more beneficial for Theron if Kelly is portrayed with a combination of positive and negative traits, with the movie neither shilling or demonizing her. That way, there logically shouldn’t be too much backlash from her fans and haters. Of course, the fact that Kelly’s the main character of a motion picture will likely upset some people anyway.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

something like spectacular reviews perhaps?

Lol! I’m aware of that Esos my man. But the screaming Oscar thing seems too iffy.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.