Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 456 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Like I said in the Best Actor thread, you keep making the same exact post over and over again with basically zero variation. Doing this adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all realize Us was eligible at the Gothams, right? I know they aren’t a top tier precursor, but I don’t understand the frequency of Lupita GIFs on this thread. She isn’t happening. No hate against her, but her vehicle was a mess and it’s 60% RT audience rating/B Cinemascore is telling. Critics have moved on and audiences aren’t fussing about it either

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I never thought one second she was getting near something but the NAACP and People Choice (if she’s lucky) awards.

She had some hurdles but could have shown up here.
    No offense but I’m not sure I believe you.

Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

As long as people keep sleeping on Queen Helen, I’m happy

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Scarlett Johansson getting snubbed when Adam Driver gets in for the Gotham is telling of what’s going to happen this awards season, just be ready in case of.

How so? Where is the evidence that Gotham’s choices align with industry awards voting?

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

deaetee
    Participant
    Topics:

Scarlett Johansson getting snubbed when Adam Driver gets in for the Gotham is telling of what’s going to happen this awards season, just be ready in case of.

This happened last year as well when Richard E. Grant got in for Best Actor but Melissa McCarthy was snubbed.

McCarthy ends up getting nominated for every single award shows.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  deaetee.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  deaetee.
    JGibson
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s up to discuss with these 5 journalists than assuming it’s an industry consensus:

Nominating Committee for Best Actor and Best Actress:
    David Ehrlich, Senior Film Critic, Indiewire
    David Fear, Senior Editor/Critic, Rolling Stone
    Tim Grierson, Senior U.S. Critic, Screen Daily; Chief Film Critic, Paste Magazine
    Jessica Kiang, Film Critic, Variety, The Playlist, Sight & Sound
    Alissa Wilkinson, Film Critic, Vox

FYC: Best International Film - The Invisible Life (Brazil)

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Lupita is my favourite female performance of the year so far. I hope she gets in.

As for Scarlett, she might get in, but I find it hard for her to win because it is rare for a movie to win 2 acting awards, let alone 3, and Laura Dern and Adam Driver are stronger in their categories for the same movie.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Well now we know how Hustlers got into Picture!

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all realize Us was eligible at the Gothams, right? I know they aren’t a top tier precursor, but I don’t understand the frequency of Lupita GIFs on this thread. She isn’t happening. No hate against her, but her vehicle was a mess and it’s 60% RT audience rating/B Cinemascore is telling. Critics have moved on and audiences aren’t fussing about it either

I mean if we are just predicting by who got snubbed by Gothams, there would be a long list. Cinemascore literally means nothing.

Nominating Committee for Best Actor and Best Actress:
    David Fear, Senior Editor/Critic, Rolling Stone
    Tim Grierson, Senior U.S. Critic, Screen Daily; Chief Film Critic, Paste Magazine
    Jessica Kiang, Film Critic, Variety, The Playlist, Sight & Sound
    Alissa Wilkinson, Film Critic, Vox

I dont know that list would seem like she would get in. But maybe they are playing games and promoting other faves since they think she is a frontrunner. Again we will see how rest of season goes on.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I just find it telling that there was barely a peep about the Gothams last year on this thread and now suddenly it’s being taken so seriously as a sign of support.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s up to discuss with these 5 journalists than assuming it’s an industry consensus: Nominating Committee for Best Actor and Best Actress: David Ehrlich, Senior Film Critic, Indiewire David Fear, Senior Editor/Critic, Rolling Stone Tim Grierson, Senior U.S. Critic, Screen Daily; Chief Film Critic, Paste Magazine Jessica Kiang, Film Critic, Variety, The Playlist, Sight & Sound Alissa Wilkinson, Film Critic, Vox

exactly, Scarlett’s snub was probably more about the fact that most critics hate her woody allen comments and poc talk etc

+ Gotham’s is an opportunity to raise the profile of contenders that aren’t getting buzz and give them a boost going into the start of award season. I wouldn’t take what happened today as a result of 5 critics as a prophecy of oscar nomination morning

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Really?
    They nominate homophobes, sexual predators, racists, and overall assholes all the time. They even win.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Scarlett Johansson might not get in. The Academy takes the #MeToo movement very seriously and she openly defended a man that was accused of molesting his daughter. She still may get in but she should’ve kept her mouth shut if she wanted that award.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Johansson was never going to win anything. There’s really no path for her and she has two co stars stealing all of her thunder. When Lawrence won, SLP was all about her and how Lawrence was the MVP, same for Emma Stone. With Johansson there’s no such reactions. Driver walks away with the movie.

Also, her role is not the kind of role the Academy goes for.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.