Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 456 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher was heartbroken because of that f*cking trailer. I’m sending troops to Baumbach’s house. I won’t allow anyone to break Thatcher’s heart like that.

Oops, and Johansson is the clear frontrunner. You better accept it, dear citizens.

Your delusion for Scarlett winning is the same delusion you had for Headey winning. This time you should learn from last time. Accept reality.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

It just occurred to me that only 2 Actress winners this decade played real life people (Colman, Streep) and neither of them won SAG. That means that no actress has won SAG so far this decade for playing a real life person.

That’s compared to:

-4 Supporting Actresses winning Oscars for playing real life people (Leo, Nyong’o, Vikander, Janney, all of whom won SAG)

-3 Supporting Actors winning Oscars for playing real life people (Bale, Rylance, Ali, Bale and Ali won SAG while Tommy Lee Jones won SAG but not the Oscar)

-7 Lead Actors winning Oscars for playing real life people (Firth, DDL, McConaughey, Redmayne, DiCaprio, Oldman, Malek, all of whom won SAG)

Y’all can say that Theron/Zellweger are winning SAG until you’re blue in the face and they very well could, but Johansson is a lot closer to fitting the mold of what SAG goes for in this decade. I’m tired of people making claims about this race based on generalizations and baseless claims, if you have compelling evidence as to why Theron is winning besides how well her performance has been received at one screening I’m all ears.

I don’t know anyone else but I’m giving great reasons why Theron is probably winning this.

Summary:
    -Theron has the performance and the movie.
    -Zellweger has the performance
    -Johansson has the movie.

The problem with Johansson is that Driver is in a better position than her to win. The movie is mostly from his perspective.

Also, Laura Dern is in a great position to win for that movie because she’s overdue.

Marriage Story is NOT winning three Oscars for acting.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope it’s not strictly because she’s “over due”.
    I’d want her character on my side anytime.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope it’s not strictly because she’s “over due”.
    I’d want her character on my side anytime.

She really is SO good in the film. I hate that the trailers aren’t showcasing her more like Beale Street did last year. Her character is so feisty with snappy one liners and insane energy in the litigation scenes amongst the lawyers and in the courtroom room scene near the end. She wasn’t in it as much as I’d like but if people like King can win with 15 minutes of screen time than Dern can too, especially when all eyes are on her in those 15 minutes unlike last year’s winner

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Calling either one of Renee Zellweger or Scarlett Johansson a lock to win is dumb but I still think the latter can do it. It’s naive to dismiss just because of momentary hype.

smithmsu86
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Renee is going to win the Oscar for Judy. Will be a great comeback story!! I do think Charlize – and not ScarJo – will be her biggest competition though for it.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I need Jodie and Universal to come through and give the Oscar to a black woman. The Bombshell poster is exactly what’s wrong with Hollywood and Judy is exactly what’s wrong with the Oscars: white and baity. I’d take Awkwafina, Woodard or Nyong’o too even though Us was not good in my eyes

She’s a newcomer and her resumé is pretty much empty. Unless Q&S somehow blows up the way 12 Years a Slave did, she’s not winning anything

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m bored by these SJW who want an Oscar to a black woman. Come on! The dildos are supposed to be awarded to the best performance, not for the darkest skin color. I’m exhausted. Thatcher is probably getting called a racist, but she doesn’t give a damn about it, because that’s the truth.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I swear this thread claims a new frontrunner every day lol.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m bored by these SJW who want an Oscar to a black woman. Come on! The dildos are supposed to be awarded to the best performance, not for the darkest skin color. I’m exhausted. Thatcher is probably getting called a racist, but she doesn’t give a damn about it, because that’s the truth.

Although I agree with you somewhat, I think you’ve forgotten how Thatcher treated Nelson Mandela.

Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I swear this thread claims a new frontrunner every day lol.

Anne Thompson just moved Theron to her number 1 spot.

gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m currently thinking Johansson will take this – I can see Marriage Story being a powerhouse in the acting categories, and it seems like a performance that critics and BAFTA will go for, I think Driver and Dern contending for wins also helps elevate her performance too.

Judy doesn’t seem to be doing too well at the box office and I can’t see it having critical pull or popular buzz, I also don’t think Zellweger has a particularly strong narrative to win her second.

Theron seems like she will be a serious contender, I’m waiting to hear more about the film but there’s definitely a scenario where she becomes my clear front-runner.

As for the other two slots, I’m currently going for Ronan and Awkwafina. I have Awkwafina in my 5th slot is mainly on the basis that I think The Farewell is more likely to get love in other categories than Us and Clemency. Whilst there aren’t a massive amount of contenders for noms in this category, I still think it’ll be a very exciting one throughout the season.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m currently thinking Johansson will take this

I was your Prime Minister once.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep thinking who will be the “fresh face” this year. Scarlette has been around for a while (she partially fits the desciption maybe) and last year we had 4 women new to this category. I think Saoirse will sit this one out and thats the spot taken by a newcomer. This is nominee 4.

So, whos 5? Any buzz at all for Alfre? Is she gone-gone?

jez89
    Participant
    Topics:

Absolutely right Thatcher. These  people who insist on there being a PoC winner/main contender every year are actually applying reverse racism in a way.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.