Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 456 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

That was assuming both Renée and Scarlett are in Comedy/Musical. If Renée’s in Comedy/Musical but Scarlett’s in Drama, then obviously Scarlett will win.

what happens if we get a curveball and Marriage Story goes comedy and both of them end up in comedy with Charlize lol

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

I still find Helle Berry’s win unworthy. It hurts to think that the only woman of colour to win best actress is a limited actress like Berry who’s even mixed. We have Angela Bassett, Viola Davis, Diana Ross, Whoopi Goldberg, Alfre Woodard and the yet to be nominated Gugu Mbatha-Raw + a host of others. The Academy has even tried to produce a single winner… Now let’s talk about the BAFTAs. BAFTAs has never had a black best actress winner and they’ve never given a respected acting legend like Denzel Washington a nomination…I’m not even talking about a win. BAFTAs are the real racists

I understand that the point you’re making is that she still is part white and so the Academy still rewarded a white actress in part. But I think that we shouldn’t ignore the fact that often times people who are half black and half white, or some other racial mix, are often ostracized by both racial communities. So that can certainly make one’s life harder. Just something to consider!

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s not act like colorism isn’t real, things are different for people of Halle’s skin tone for than darker skinned black people like Lupita.

Berry is not competing with Lupita for parts. If you want to focus on colorism choose a Black actress who isn’t medium brown like Berry or Bassett. Light girls are abundant these days. Zoe Kravitz, Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, Zazie Beetz.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Participant
    Topics:

I understand that the point you’re making is that she still is part white and so the Academy still rewarded a white actress in part. But I think that we shouldn’t ignore the fact that often times people who are half black and half white, or some other racial mix, are often ostracized by both racial communities. So that can certainly make one’s life harder. Just something to consider!

No one ever questioned Berry’s blackness until they saw her white mother at the Oscars. All of a sudden they wanted to dilute the historical legitimacy of her win. Halle Berry wasn’t raised confused. Her white mother acknowledged to she and her sister they were Black.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Berry is not competing with Lupita for parts. If you want to focus on colorism choose a Black actress who isn’t medium brown like Berry or Bassett. Light girls are abundant these days. Zoe Kravitz, Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, Zazie Beetz.

I mean Berry is pretty light, certainly more than Bassett, but I’m not saying Halle Berry is stealing Lupita’s roles lol. Obviously I was just using those two as examples of a light skinned black person and dark skinned black person, and I only used them because they’d been mentioned previously several times.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I do firmly believe that the fifth slot in Best Actress is between Nyong’o and Awkwafina. I’m just going to assume that Zellweger, Johansson, Theron and Ronan are “pretty safe” frontrunners, though “Little Women” could potentially still bomb (but I doubt it). I don’t think Erivo is a factor anymore since she isn’t getting the raves everyone is expecting, plus the film underwhelmed even more than we anticipated; Woodward will really struggle because “Clemency” won’t be a factor I fear – and who do we have left then. “Us” was a box office hit and will just need to be brought back into the conversation.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Colorism runs more than one way. Dark-skinned POC get the worst of it, but the criticisms aimed against Berry’s mixed heritage after her win illuminate another set of challenges that mixed people face from multiple ends.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Participant
    Topics:

I mean Berry is pretty light, certainly more than Bassett, but I’m not saying Halle Berry is stealing Lupita’s roles lol. Obviously I was just using those two as examples of a light skinned black person and dark skinned black person, and I only used them because they’d been mentioned previously several times.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

I do firmly believe that the fifth slot in Best Actress is between Nyong’o and Awkwafina. I’m just going to assume that Zellweger, Johansson, Theron and Ronan are “pretty safe” frontrunners, though “Little Women” could potentially still bomb (but I doubt it). I don’t think Erivo is a factor anymore since she isn’t getting the raves everyone is expecting, plus the film underwhelmed even more than we anticipated; Woodward will really struggle because “Clemency” won’t be a factor I fear – and who do we have left then. “Us” was a box office hit and will just need to be brought back into the conversation.

People are very confident in Saoirse, but I don’t think she’ll make it.
    And I hate the eternal genre bias that does not allow us to have Lupita as something more than a distant possibility. Accomplished Horror performances are rare and underrated gems.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Colorism runs more than one way. Dark-skinned POC get the worst of it, but the criticisms aimed against Berry’s mixed heritage after her win illuminate another set of challenges that mixed people face from multiple ends.

I mean just look at Obama. White people would either try to claim him as one of them, or say we didn’t really have a black president, or say stupid shit like he wouldn’t be where he was if he wasn’t raised by a white mother who instilled “white values” in him.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

I think most people downgrade Berry’s win more because of the performance itself and less because of her being mixed.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh and I don’t think Saorise Ronan is a “safe frontrunner”. Jo March is not a baity role and unless she does something completely different with it, I think she can be on the cusp for a nom if Little Women isn’t as great as hoped.

Participant
    Topics:

I think most people downgrade Berry’s win more because of the performance itself and less because of her being mixed.

White starlets win for weak tea performances throughout that category’s history. Berry had some admirable moments.

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Halle’s win would be more celebrated if the performance was anywhere near good and the role itself wasn’t such trash

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that one of the most unfair criticisms of Berry’s performance was that people voted for her solely based on the sex scene/sexualization of her character. It’s never been a problem for white actresses to receive awards attention for performances with graphic sex scenes or blatant sexualization of their characters, I believe some even called her character a prostitute back in the day.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 456 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.