Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 450 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

White starlets win for weak tea performances throughout that category’s history. Berry had some admirable moments.

They do but Berry’s role was pretty embarrassing as far as how it’s written and the way she portrays it didn’t add any layers of complexity to it that made you see Leticia as anything more than a southern drawl “hoodrat”. At least with this year, you’d have Lupita and Alfre Woodard in roles with actual depth and performances to extend it further.

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Halle’s win would be more celebrated if the performance was anywhere near good and the role itself wasn’t such trash

Lee Daniels who produced Monster’s Ball loves lurid material. Were it not for the explicit interracial sex scene the Black community would discuss the movie more with pride since it garnered Berry a much needed historic win. Instead most speculate Halle won for denigrating herself for the white man.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

I think that one of the most unfair criticisms of Berry’s performance was that people voted for her solely based on the sex scene/sexualization of her character. It’s never been a problem for white actresses to receive awards attention for performances with graphic sex scenes or blatant sexualization of their characters, I believe some even called her character a prostitute back in the day.

I’ve never thought that but I can see why some would think that’s a reason (what other black actress competitive for a win or nom had that graphic display of sexual activity with that type of behavior?). I thought she pulled out the win because she unexpectedly won SAG, Sissy Spacek already had an Oscar so voters didn’t feel obligated to give it to her again, and they knew the history they’d make with both her and Denzel winning on the same night.

Profile picture
    Topics:

I think that one of the most unfair criticisms of Berry’s performance was that people voted for her solely based on the sex scene/sexualization of her character. It’s never been a problem for white actresses to receive awards attention for performances with graphic sex scenes or blatant sexualization of their characters, I believe some even called her character a prostitute back in the day.

Bassett referred to the character as such. Black people being sexualized in the media is tied to the exploitation of our bodies since cattle slavery.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Lee Daniels who produced Monster’s Ball loves lurid material. Were it not for the explicit interracial sex scene the Black community would discuss the movie more with pride since it garnered Berry a much needed historic win. Instead most speculate Halle won for denigrating herself for the white man.

Daniels did it much better on Precious. Mo’nique and Halle both played two types of problematic characters (Mo’nique was easily the worst since she pretty much portrayed the devil itself) yet the performances are just.. not comparable. Mo’nique verbally and physically abusing her daughter had much more layers than whatever Berry did in that movie. Her role was just awfully written and I don’t even think that a better actress could have brought any depth to Laetitia

The sex scene isn’t even my biggest issue (though a black woman begging for sex the racist white cop who executed her husband is kinda embarassing). It’s just that the whole thing didn’t even make sense. The whole movie is just cringe after cringe

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Seven.
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I can appreciate those concerns, they are definitely valid considering how few black female roles had received mainstream awards attention up to that point. The writing of that character was very shaky at some points for sure, but that sex scene came to symbolize (for me) the common, awkward desperation of those two characters, both victims of circumstance. The camera was way too gratuitous in the framing of that scene to avoid the inevitable sexualization of Berry’s character, but it definitely played a strong role in the development of both characters for me.

The artistic intention of the scene is definitely the characters are desperate for a connection after the loss of their children.

Profile picture
    Topics:

Daniels did it much better on Precious. Mo’nique and Halle both played two types of problematic character (Mo’nique was easily the worst since she pretty much portrayed the devil itself) yet the performances are just.. not comparable. Mo’nique verbally and physically abusing her daughter had much more layers than whatever Berry did in that movie. Her role was just awfully written and I don’t even think that a better actress could have brought any depth to Laetitia

The sex scene isn’t even my biggest issue (though a black woman begging for sex the racist white cop who executed her husband is kinda embarassing). It’s just that the whole thing didn’t even make sense. The whole movie is just cringe after cringe

Monster’s Ball actually received a nomination for its screenplay! Laughs, like the story line was sloppily cobbled together. An earlier attempt at making the movie had De Niro in the Billy Bob role and Latifah in the Berry role.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Monster’s Ball actually received a nomination for its screenplay! Laughs, like the story line was sloppily cobbled together. An earlier attempt at making the movie had De Niro in the Billy Bob role and Latifah in the Berry role.

Loool. De Niro loves black women so it would have been fun for him I guess

I just can’t imagine Queen Latifah doing this though, like c’mon

Anyway, this movie was a mess

Profile picture
    Topics:

Bassett was as great as Hunter, but I’d have given it to Bassett because it was about time. Hunter was undeniable yes, so was Bassett, let’s not pretend they didn’t denied Bette Davis for ALL and Gloria Swanson for SB, two performances cemented in movie history. Hunter could have easily lost BA and win in supporting if they didn’t want to let her go empty-handed.

Besides what’s more iconic than a black thespian winning the best actress Oscar for the first time, for playing a black music icon.

Were it not for the juggernaut Schindler’s List, The Piano would have been competitive for a best picture win.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

What’s done is done anyway. Black folks wanted Whoopi or Angela to make history and we got Halle instead. We wanted Denzel to win Best Actor for his portrayal of Malcolm X instead of Alonzo Harris (Alonzo’s still iconic though)

I just hope we get better roles for women of color and more opportunities to award them. To me Regina King was a step in the right direction. The performance itself wasn’t exceptional but the role was. It’s millions of black girls out there who wish they had a mother and a support system like this and Sharon Rivers was deeply inspiring

Hopefully talented women like Bassett, Woodard, Davis, Nyong’o, Oh etc get the right leading role one day. In a very weak year and with a distributor that isn’t Neon, that may very well result in another Best Actress win for a woman of color

Jenkins, Peele, McQueen, Rees, DuVernay, Coogler etc are working. Just watch

Profile picture
    Pulp
    Topics:

Angela looks darker to me…

#FreeTheBannedFour

Profile picture
    ayanami
    Topics:

Colorism runs more than one way. Dark-skinned POC get the worst of it, but the criticisms aimed against Berry’s mixed heritage after her win illuminate another set of challenges that mixed people face from multiple ends.

I didn’t mean to undervalue Halle’s win. It’s still iconic and colorism definitely goes both ways. I just don’t think the fact Halle has won means Hollywood has solved its underrepresentation issue. Black women and in particular darker skinned women in entertainment continue to be sidelined for white women and lighter skinned women. In fact, dark skinned women have never won Black Actress. It’s just a fact. This is a form of colorism that still needs to be actively worked against. Thankfully we do have filmmakers like Jordan Peele creating innovative films starring black ensembles, so it does seem to be getting better.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I understand that the point you’re making is that she still is part white and so the Academy still rewarded a white actress in part. But I think that we shouldn’t ignore the fact that often times people who are half black and half white, or some other racial mix, are often ostracized by both racial communities. So that can certainly make one’s life harder. Just something to consider!

sure. But Halle is a very beautiful woman. It’d be much easier for her to get glamorous roles than a darker and less beautiful thespian like Davis. I sounded a bit racist by indicating Berry’s mixed race and I’m sorry for that cos we’re supposed to be one. It shouldn’t matter whether mixed or straight up black. My only issue is with her performance and not her colour.

We have stars who are capable of taking awards but luck isn’t on their sides as they’re held on very high standards.

Gugu Mbatha-Raw is one actress I hope breakthrough to awards glory. She should have gotten some love for Belle. Zoe Saldana is capable. The lady from Middle of Nowhere (can’t remember the name), Kerry Washington, Thandie Newton and some others are capable too but they aren’t getting good roles.

Angela Bassett seems to be done with awards and Viola Davis may never win again.

I pray Alfre Woodard gets in this year because she has one of the best reviews of the year

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Lil Tony.
    • This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Lil Tony.

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

Profile picture
    Pulp
    Topics:

Angela Bassett seems to be done with awards

I have really high hopes for Bassett tbh. She’s had a great TV career in recent years. If Ryan Murphy can give her a really juicy role to get her an emmy then she can use that to really get back into film and hopefully grab another Oscar nom and possibly win. Probably won’t happen in best actress but she really seems like the veteran type they like to give supporting Oscars to. Plus, she’s over 60 but look at her, the woman clearly takes care of herself. It’s very possible she’ll still be acting and giving great performances in her 80s and 90s, she has plenty of time.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 450 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.