Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Song (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Original Song (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
tom92
Pauly Antonio
Brayden Fitzs..
  • tom92
    Participant
    Topics:

If you take Spirit away from The Lion King, the film is actually better

ReplyCopy URL
    RBBrittain
    Participant
    Topics:

A little while back someone commented about “Da Bronx” being another “Alone Yet Not Alone”; I thought he was misreading The Bronx, USA as another Christian film. Turns out, composer Charles Fox had a screening of the film for the Society of Composers & Lyricists a month ago; he’s also a former member of the Board of Governors from the Music Branch.

Apparently, Fox is trying to do within the Academy’s rules what Bruce Broughton did with “Alone Yet Not Alone” by emailing the entire Music Branch, a rules violation that led to its nomination being withdrawn: He let the bulk of the Music Branch know “Da Bronx” was his song.

That said, there are signs his strategy backfired: First of all, “Da Bronx” didn’t make the inaugural SCL Awards nominations for Original Song for Visual Media. (The nominees are “Into the Unknown”, “High Above the Water”, “Stand Up”, “Speechless”, and “I’m Standing with You”.) Second, as I posted when the shortlist came out, “Da Bronx” is the only song on the shortlist that isn’t available for streaming on either YouTube or Apple Music; that may not be important to older folks like Fox, but it is to a lot of folks nowadays. (Let us know here if you find it on Spotify or some other streaming service.)

But most importantly, “Da Bronx” is reportedly a faux rap song written by folks way too old to be writing rap — Fox & past Oscar winner Paul Williams. (They were winning awards before rap was even invented.) The closest connection any of them have to rap is the Fugees’ cover of “Killing Me Softly With His Song”, arguably Fox’s greatest song. Yet that’s such ancient history by rap standards that when someone discussed Lauryn Hill’s not-so-original contribution to the Queen & Slim soundtrack, I realized her one & only solo album was so long ago that the teenage piano player on “Everything Is Everything” is now an EGOT winner. (Credited on the album as John R. Stephens, better known today as John Legend.) Even Broughton had better authenticity with “Alone Yet Not Alone”; he brought in Joni Eareckson Tada, a longtime Christian artist (who also happens to be disabled), to perform the song. (I felt bad that she didn’t get to perform alongside Idina Menzel, U2, Pharrell Williams & Karen O that year, for reasons beyond her control.)

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

Are there still some delusional people who think that “Beautiful Ghosts” is winning this Sunday?

The movie bombed so hard. I’ve never seen anything like it in a while. Every media network is talking about how bad it is.

I think it’s between Beyoncé, Elton John and The Lopez.

ReplyCopy URL
    upitt
    Participant
    Topics:

I would LOVE to see Beyonce win, but I’m pretty certain Elton or The Lopez will win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Beyoncé even gonna show up my question…

y'all ugly and smelly

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see why she wouldn’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

If you take Spirit away from The Lion King, the film is actually better

In addition to not particularly liking the song, this is why I really don’t want it to win. These songs are supposed to enhance the films they appear in, not detract from them.

ReplyCopy URL
    AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see why she wouldn’t.

She’s sort of an enigma nowadays. I think she’s showing up but I wouldn’t be surprised if she wouldn’t. She’s much more selective with her appearances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m 90% positive she won’t. She no longer shows up to music awards (not even the Grammys) and didn’t even bother with her 4 Emmy noms last year. She won’t win anyway so she probably won’t waste her time

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Beyoncé will show up for the Globes, unless they let her know in advance that she is winning.

She will probably show up for the Oscars though if they invite her to perform.

ReplyCopy URL
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s apparently giving Ellen the Carol Burnett on the night.

https://twitter.com/imtoomuchnigga/status/1213305218106056704?s=21

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Not going to lie, as a Bey stan…

Give it to Elton John. It will go to Elton John.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Bey for the win, please.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Not going to lie, as a Bey stan… Give it to Elton John. It will go to Elton John.

You’re not much of a “Bey stan” if you want it to go to Elton fucking John.

ReplyCopy URL
    Licorice
    Participant
    Topics:

Give it to Beyoncé for being Beyoncé.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.