Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 242 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Icecreamben
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I am heading out to see The Irishman later this morning. I am curious about the “de-aging” technology and how that affects my feelings about the performances. I am concerned about whether I will like the film – I am sure I will admire the film-making, the editing, the technical aspects, but will I enjoy the content? 3 1/2 hours is a major investment in sitting in a movie theater! I am mostly just curious about it, more than excited by it… I am trying to keep an open mind, worried it will be “sympathy for gangsters”…

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford v Ferrari is for sure a contender, but I don’t think it can win. The main reason why is that it’s too traditional. The Oscar’s just don’t give big awards to films like these anymore. Even if a film does play it safe, they have to at least give off the impression that they’re doing something bold, like Green Book did, to win. I actually think FvF is riskier in the execution of its premise than Jojo Rabbit is, but in the end Jojo Rabbit does have the bolder premise, and that will make the academy more likely to vote for it.

Another problem is that FvF can’t win anything else above the line. It’s hopelessly outmatched in every category. Jojo Rabbit will win Adapted Screenplay, Parasite will win Director, OUATIH will win Original Screenplay, Marrige Story, Irishman, and Joker will all win acting awards. Those films are bigger contenders for that reason.

Lastly, it doesn’t seem to have the same passion behind it that Jojo or Parasite or the Netflix films do. All of those films have pretty loud and arduous fans. Ford v Ferrari is well liked, but I don’t hear anyone call it a masterpiece or give it perfect scores left and right. Even Joker had more perfect reviews than FvF does.

I think FvF is a great film, but it’s just not Best Picture winning material. And that’s my very long, in depth analysis on it. I guess I felt I should match your length. It’s a lock for a non though, and so is Bale. You heard it here first.

I do agree with everything that you said, specially with the fact that it is too traditional and maybe that will be the reason why The Academy backs down on awarding it, the reason why i feel it is over Jojo is what you pointed out, the divisive factor, i do feel like that is what will keep Jojo from winning, besides the huge general audiences support.

And one of the reasons why i think its chances are so big is because also of what you said, that it seems to be great but not a masterpiece, after Green Book my mind just stood with the fact that a movie does not need to be 10/10 to win.

I do hope something like Parasite wins, because i have seen it and i think the same as everyone else, it’s a 10/10 film amazingly constructed and with lot of thought and creativity.

And thank you for equaling the length of my post haha. I am scared to put Bale because even tho i know he’s getting in i don’t like to take out my dark horses.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I do agree with everything that you said, specially with the fact that it is too traditional and maybe that will be the reason why The Academy backs down on awarding it, the reason why i feel it is over Jojo is what you pointed out, the divisive factor, i do feel like that is what will keep Jojo from winning, besides the huge general audiences support.

And one of the reasons why i think its chances are so big is because also of what you said, that it seems to be great but not a masterpiece, after Green Book my mind just stood with the fact that a movie does not need to be 10/10 to win.

I do hope something like Parasite wins, because i have seen it and i think the same as everyone else, it’s a 10/10 film amazingly constructed and with lot of thought and creativity.

And thank you for equaling the length of my post haha. I am scared to put Bale because even tho i know he’s getting in i don’t like to take out my dark horses.

That’s where John’s greatest strength lies. His kickass reviews and analysis.

It’s that win @TIFF for JoJo that trips me up. It’s a great start but far from a guarantee that it’ll line up with the Academy. I need to wait until the precursors before my reservations are quelled.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    thesmark88
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: center;”>

I am heading out to see The Irishman later this morning. I am curious about the “de-aging” technology and how that affects my feelings about the performances. I am concerned about whether I will like the film – I am sure I will admire the film-making, the editing, the technical aspects, but will I enjoy the content? 3 1/2 hours is a major investment in sitting in a movie theater! I am mostly just curious about it, more than excited by it… I am trying to keep an open mind, worried it will be “sympathy for gangsters”…

</p>

First, there is ABSOLUTELY no sympathy for gangsters, it doesn’t even show a gangsters life as being fun for the purposes of seducing the audience, it’s just sad. Second, I think it’s a good 2 1/2 hour movie that’s concluded with one of the best final hours of the decade. Make of that what you will

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

the reason why i feel it is over Jojo is what you pointed out, the divisive factor, i do feel like that is what will keep Jojo from winning, besides the huge general audiences support.

What I was saying was that Jojo Rabbit had a bolder premise (a Nazi satire film) than FvF (a racing drama), and even though the latter’s execution is riskier Jojo will be seen as bolder because of the premise. I actually don’t think Jojo Rabbit is as divisive as a lot of people think it is. The only controversy happened pretty early in the film’s release cycle, and had no effect on it victory of the People’s Choice Award, which was voted on by critics and audiences at TIFF. And it wouldn’t matter if the controversy was still strong. Green Book had way more controversy (Viggo saying the N-word, Peter Farrely’s assault allegations, Shirley’s parents saying it wasn’t historically accurate) and still won. Even Bohemian Rhapsody had more controversy and still walked away with the most awards. Oscar voters don’t seem to care about controversy most of the time, and if anything it seems to motivate them more to award a film. That’s why everyone in the rumor mill is pointing to Johansson being the frontrunner for Marriage Story. And why Joker looks to be one of this year’s Oscar juggernauts. There’s a saying that “no publicity is bad publicity”, and that’s being proven very true at the Oscar’s.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I had very mixed feelings about The Irishman – well made, certainly; well acted by the three leads, yes – especially Pacino and Pesci – but how are we supposed to take it as a whole? Scorsese has so much affection for these monsters but that doesn’t mean I have to feel the same way, no matter how hard a film-maker tries to manipulate me into doing so. All of the elements were there but the content does matter, at least for me. My gut tells me Marriage Story is going to win BP – but I have to wait and see more of the potential nominees, particularly 1917 – the trailer for it explaining the continuous shot (Roger Deakins will win Best Cinematography) makes me think it has a strong chance too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, The Irishman was not what I expected…

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

My tongue is bleeding.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Lil Tony
    Participant
    Topics:

is it good or bad?

FYC
    Best Actor :.
    Taron Egerton = Rocketman
    Joaquin Phoenix = Joker
    Eddie Murphy = Dolemite is my Name

Best actress :
    Charlize Theron = Bombshell
    Alfre Woodard = Clemency

Supporting Actor
    Brad Pitt = Once upon a time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress =
    Margot Robbie = Any of her two performances.
    Dame Maggie Smith = Downton Abbey
    Octavia Spencer = Luce

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

What I was saying was that Jojo Rabbit had a bolder premise (a Nazi satire film) than FvF (a racing drama), and even though the latter’s execution is riskier Jojo will be seen as bolder because of the premise. I actually don’t think Jojo Rabbit is as divisive as a lot of people think it is. The only controversy happened pretty early in the film’s release cycle, and had no effect on it victory of the People’s Choice Award, which was voted on by critics and audiences at TIFF. And it wouldn’t matter if the controversy was still strong. Green Book had way more controversy (Viggo saying the N-word, Peter Farrely’s assault allegations, Shirley’s parents saying it wasn’t historically accurate) and still won. Even Bohemian Rhapsody had more controversy and still walked away with the most awards. Oscar voters don’t seem to care about controversy most of the time, and if anything it seems to motivate them more to award a film. That’s why everyone in the rumor mill is pointing to Johansson being the frontrunner for Marriage Story. And why Joker looks to be one of this year’s Oscar juggernauts. There’s a saying that “no publicity is bad publicity”, and that’s being proven very true at the Oscar’s.

With everything you said, did you see Jojo already? Do you think it would be a deserving winner?

ReplyCopy URL
    Manuelcolon
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s where John’s greatest strength lies. His kickass reviews and analysis.

It’s that win @TIFF for JoJo that trips me up. It’s a great start but far from a guarantee that it’ll line up with the Academy. I need to wait until the precursors before my reservations are quelled.

Totally! I just need a few nominations to come out so i can start noticing what is lacking and gaining.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Jojo Rabbit but I don’t know, I don’t get Best Picture winner vibes from it at all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

is it good or bad?

ReplyCopy URL
    The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

I would put Ford v Ferrari in the “next up” with The Two Popes, Joker, and A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

That is the truth.

No exceptions.

A Rival To Thatcher’s Reign.

ReplyCopy URL
    champion28
    Participant
    Topics:

My picks:

The Irishman

Marriage story

parasite

jojo rabbit

once upon a time

the farewell

little women

bombshell

joker

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 242 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.