Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 277 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Babygirl
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

With everything you said, did you see Jojo already? Do you think it would be a deserving winner?

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

With everything you said, did you see Jojo already? Do you think it would be a deserving winner?

Yes, and I loved it. It’s my second favorite film of the year so far, only after Parasite. But I’ve been predicting Jojo to win since way before then, ever since it won People’s Choice at TIFF. Every other major contender just has more going against it. The Irishman and Marriage Story have to work against Netflix bias, which is still strong in the academy. Parasite has to work against foreign film bias, though I think it will be the critics favorite and win a few precursors. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood peaked too early. Joker is actually too divisive to win (there’s real controversy surrounding it, unlike Jojo Rabbit). Ford v Ferrari and 1917 are too traditional. And Little Women and Bombshell just don’t have the buzz.

Jojo Rabbit is the type of film the academy likes to reward (bold in it’s premise but simple in its execution, just like Green Book). It’s the audience favorite of the year. It’s doing extremely well at the box office. It has no bias to work against. And it’s the frontrunner to win Screenplay, an award that’s gone to the Picture winner 8 times out of 10 this decade. Several other contenders have a few of these factors, but only Jojo has all of them. And no I don’t think reviews matter anymore. The Oscars lost so many viewers by rewarding tiny, indie films over massive hits, turning away general audiences. They want to draw in more viewers, and to do that they will reward the films that millions of audience members love, not the films that a couple hundred critics love. Jojo Rabbit’s reviews are good enough (79% on Rotten Tomatoes) to win.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I just think Jojo Rabbit is too campy for AMPAS and some of the voters might misinterpret some of the jokes and the portrayal of the characters who are Nazis. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

lol. I don’t know if the gif says good or bad

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thesmark88
    Topics:

Scorsese has so much affection for these monsters but that doesn’t mean I have to feel the same way, no matter how hard a film-maker tries to manipulate me into doing so.

Did…did you watch the last hour of the film? I cannot conceive someone watching The Irishman and coming to any other conclusion than Scorsese having utter contempt for mobsters and their world. There’s not even the fun and glamor of Goodfellas mafia life, it’s just emptiness.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

lol. I don’t know if the gif says good or bad

I take it as a yes, although I’m happy to see he’s toned down his vulgar misogynistic posts. His opinions take a back seat.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by teri.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

I think Jojo Rabbit needs at least 1 acting nod if it’s going to win BP and that’s not set in stone yet

I think that and Taika having little chance of getting nominated for Best Director will be its downfall. If they can get Roman Griffin Davis a nomination for Best Actor, though, then that’s a different story. This is Marriage Story‘s to lose.

Oscars 2020: I stan Joaquin Phoenix, Willem Dafoe, Alan Silvestri, and Dean Deblois.

Emmys 2020: I stan Logan Lerman, Olivia Colman, and David Harbour.

Tom Hanks and Amy Adams stan in general.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m starting to think the Kramer v Kramer remake is winning the dildo for BP. It’s clearly going to be loved (and at least liked) by most Academy members who lived a divorce. That’s why Kramer v Kramer won back in the day, and that’s why its remake could win this year.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

I think Jojo Rabbit needs at least 1 acting nod if it’s going to win BP and that’s not set in stone yet

I think ScarJo will be double nominated this year. Her role in Jojo is wonderful and her character is too likeable. That said, I don’t think Jojo Rabbit is winning regardless. The passion feels less strong for it than Green Book last year which I think it needs.

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ginnala
    Topics:

Darlings, I’m starting to think the Kramer v Kramer remake is winning the dildo for BP. It’s clearly going to be loved (and at least liked) by most Academy members who lived a divorce. That’s why Kramer v Kramer won back in the day, and that’s why its remake could win this year.

A Netflix movie will never win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

The Academy can’t handle the risk of making such mistake

Why do people always say this? No voter thinks in this manner.

Also, include me among those posters confused by people coming away from The Irishman feeling as if Scorsese is sympathizing with his lead characters…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

What did you think of The Irishman?

God cinema. You?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 277 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.