Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
replies
views
users
teri
Icecreamben
thatnerdgreg
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Jojo Rabbit?

Dude…

You haven’t seen it. Give it a try.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Ford v Ferrari still sits at 71 MC which is worse than Rush that was completely shut out. It is already going to perform worse than Rush since it has no shot at GG Drama. It should be happy for the few tech nods it is currently predicted to get in for. Expecting much more than that even going so far to call it a lock in something is laughable.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions

ReplyCopy URL
    Nico Agudelo
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not from the states, so I have found very curious that Peanut Butter Falcon has been one of the indie hits of the year, a crowd pleaser with good reviews and a known cast but has zero traction.
    Can anyone tell me why?
    I would appreciate a constructive answer…
    Thanx

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions

What a beautiful lineup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw Marriage Story.  Phenomenal movie.  A serious screenplay contender and I feel pretty positive that Driver, Johansson, and Dern will all win.  I don’t know when I’ve seen so many phenomenal performances in one movie.  However, this is not a Best Picture winner.  I’ve just got a feeling in my gut.  It’s just too similar to Kramer v Kramer and it doesn’t have to usual social/political commentary that they’ve been going for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw Marriage Story. Phenomenal movie. A serious screenplay contender and I feel pretty positive that Driver, Johansson, and Dern will all win. I don’t know when I’ve seen so many phenomenal performances in one movie. However, this is not a Best Picture winner. I’ve just got a feeling in my gut. It’s just too similar to Kramer v Kramer and it doesn’t have to usual social/political commentary that they’ve been going for.

I can definitely see a scenario where it takes home Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress and Screenplay but not Picture, like Network.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I can definitely see a scenario where it takes home Actor, Actress, Supporting Actress and Screenplay but not Picture, like Network.

That’s exactly what this feels like.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

bumpity bump

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Btw, I also saw The Irishman.  Really good movie.  Not the masterpiece that it’s been made out to be, but it’s still really good.  Oddly, enough I think it could land a ton of nominations, but walk away with almost nothing.  I think Pacino or Adapted Screenplay or maybe even director would be their best bet.  I don’t think it’s winning Best Picture.  It’s really depressing, long, confusing, and really doesn’t have an “important” message that the Oscars seem to go for these days.

I think when you break this movie down, in every category that this movie is likely to be nominated in, there’s someone else that’s doing better work that’s more likely to win.  It’ll be big with the film bros and the Scorsese fans.  I’m not even sure it’ll appeal to the older boomer voters.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m putting off seeing it until it’s wider theatre release. Not Netflix.
    I think Zaillian remains a threat to win. I also don’t believe Scorsese or Pacino is the most likely chance for a win.

But those reviews remain overall stellar and it could still win BP , without Scorsese or an actor win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m putting off seeing it until it’s wider theatre release. Not Netflix. I think Zaillian remains a threat to win. I also don’t believe Scorsese or Pacino is the most likely chance for a win. But those reviews remain overall stellar and it could still win BP , without Scorsese or an actor win.

I don’t think it’s getting a wider theatrical release at all.

I still don’t see this as a Best Picture winner.  Just kind of a gut feeling.  The critics don’t mean much when it comes to the Oscars.  I wasn’t saying that it needs a Scorsese or a Pacino win for it to win BP, I’m saying that I don’t see it winning anything except maybe a win for Scorsese, Pacino, or Zaillian.

ReplyCopy URL
    cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not from the states, so I have found very curious that Peanut Butter Falcon has been one of the indie hits of the year, a crowd pleaser with good reviews and a known cast but has zero traction. Can anyone tell me why? I would appreciate a constructive answer… Thanx

I thought Peanut Butter Falcon had a chance to be nominated for a few Oscars when it first came out. I even remember reading about Zack Gottsagen’s surprise and possible Oscar nomination. However, nobody seems to be talking about the movie or its chances at being nominated anymore.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 11 hours ago by  cinetastic.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 11 hours ago by  cinetastic.
    ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think it’s getting a wider theatrical release at all.

I still don’t see this as a Best Picture winner. Just kind of a gut feeling. The critics don’t mean much when it comes to the Oscars. I wasn’t saying that it needs a Scorsese or a Pacino win for it to win BP, I’m saying that I don’t see it winning anything except maybe a win for Scorsese, Pacino, or Zaillian.

It should be open for at least a few days in late November. The Netflix comment is a boycott. Lol.
    The only sure winner, and ima gonna say it again, is Thelma Schoonmaker. The other nominees will be honoured just to be in the same room with her.
    I’m not as confident about the win.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 10 hours ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 10 hours ago by  teri.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Six nominees; no more, no less. 3 mainstream, 3 arthouse-rs

Mainstream: Endgame, Frozen II, Rise of Skywalker (ONLY if latter 2 are mid-high 90’s on RT and are boxoffice megahits)

Arthouse: Us, 1917, The Farewell.

If you think Us and 1917 are small arthouse movies then you REALLY have NO idea what’s going on in the industry.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.