Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Picture

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 hours ago
replies
views
users
teri
Icecreamben
thatnerdgreg
  • EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Parasite has the same issue as Roma; foreign language. Thus, nominate it in Foreign Language Film

Because we all know a Foreign Language film cannot be considered one of the best films of the year. That’d be ridiculous!

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Six nominees; no more, no less. 3 mainstream, 3 arthouse-rs Mainstream: Endgame, Frozen II, Rise of Skywalker (ONLY if latter 2 are mid-high 90’s on RT and are boxoffice megahits) Arthouse: Us, 1917, The Farewell.

I cannot possibly imagine a worst lineup

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not from the states, so I have found very curious that Peanut Butter Falcon has been one of the indie hits of the year, a crowd pleaser with good reviews and a known cast but has zero traction.
    Can anyone tell me why?
    I would appreciate a constructive answer…
    Thanx

Buzz. I know that buzz is all relative, and it moves up and down, but even the contenders that lose buzz at least had it at one point. It is strange that it had such good box office numbers and that no one is really talking about it, but it’s unfortunately true. And while Shia and Dakota are big names, they’ve never really been big awards names, so people looking to watch movies that they can vote for for awards won’t really think of them (no matter how deserving they are).

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Because we all know a Foreign Language film cannot be considered one of the best films of the year. That’d be ridiculous!

To be fair, I don’t think Parasite being a foreign language film will hurt it getting nominated for Best Picture, but I don’t think it will win Best Picture.  Parasite will win Foreign Language, but it won’t win Best Picture in such a strong year.  They’ll want to spread the wealth around a bit.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

It should be open for at least a few days in late November. The Netflix comment is a boycott. Lol. The only sure winner, and ima gonna say it again, is Thelma Schoonmaker. The other nominees will be honoured just to be in the same room with her. I’m not as confident about the win.

It’s already in theaters.  It’s not getting wider than this.  Same with Marriage Story.

Schoonmaker could win, but I really didn’t care for the editing in The Irishman.  Oddly enough, JoJo might have the best editing of all the contenders.  Editing is important in comedy and there’s some interesting stuff there.  Parasite also has phenomenal editing.

The Irishman is just a quantity over quality movie.  It has moments of brilliance and moments that are only ok.  It’s a pretty inconsistent movie, IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

To be fair, I don’t think Parasite being a foreign language film will hurt it getting nominated for Best Picture, but I don’t think it will win Best Picture. Parasite will win Foreign Language, but it won’t win Best Picture in such a strong year. They’ll want to spread the wealth around a bit.

oh this is valid but suggesting foreign language film shouldn’t be eligible in Best Picture just to make room for Frozen 2 anything Kristen Bell is in is one of the dumbest suggestions I’ve read on these threads.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Dear AMPAS,

Parasite or bust hoes.

xoxo

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s already in theaters. It’s not getting wider than this. Same with Marriage Story.

Schoonmaker could win, but I really didn’t care for the editing in The Irishman. Oddly enough, JoJo might have the best editing of all the contenders. Editing is important in comedy and there’s some interesting stuff there. Parasite also has phenomenal editing.

The Irishman is just a quantity over quality movie. It has moments of brilliance and moments that are only ok. It’s a pretty inconsistent movie, IMO.

It doesn’t open anywhere near where I am until the 27th.
    And if I’m wrong about Thelma, then I’ve woken up in an alternate universe. Like Shrek

ETA: your opinion on her work will have no relevance.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 8 hours ago by  teri.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, I know you love me. You all do. We may be in a BDSM relationship. That’s all. Oh and get ready for Clownery to get snubbed.

• This reply was modified 10 hours, 43 minutes ago by  Thatcher.
    • This reply was modified 10 hours, 42 minutes ago by  Thatcher.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Parasite is 2019’s highest grossing foreign language movie in North America.

It has made $115 million against it’s $4 million budget.

A total commercial success also alongside being 2019’s best reviewed and raved movie.

• This reply was modified 10 hours ago by  Hammad Asif.
    • This reply was modified 9 hours, 59 minutes ago by  Hammad Asif.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

It doesn’t open anywhere near where I am until the 27th. And if I’m wrong about Thelma, then I’ve woken up in an alternate universe. Like Shrek ETA: your opinion on her work will have no relevance.

Ok, but her editing isn’t great and it’s hitting Netflix on the 27th, it’s not hitting theaters then.  Her other work is good, but I didn’t like it here and I think I noticed several continuity issues.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok, but her editing isn’t great and it’s hitting Netflix on the 27th, it’s not hitting theaters then. Her other work is good, but I didn’t like it here and I think I noticed several continuity issues.

I came off rather abruptly; you’re entitled to your opinion and it’s none of my business. But nobody in that branch will agree with you.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I came off rather abruptly; you’re entitled to your opinion and it’s none of my business. But nobody in that branch will agree with you.

ETA. Thanks for knowing the area where I live and what’s playing better than I do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gwen Gentry
    Participant
    Topics:

The Irishman is something else. A masterpiece with heartbreaking moment of cinema. A goodbye, in many ways. It would make the best BP winner of the last – at least – 10 years.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.