Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 191 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
8 hours ago
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
thatnerdgreg
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

A huge problem Dafoe will face is visibility. I don’t see many voters putting The Lighthouse as a priority to watch meanwhile Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Irishman will both compete and possibly win other above the line categories so therefore many will see them. That alone gives Pitt and Pacino an advantage.

I agree that’s a barrier. But it isn’t that rare for voters to not watch everything they should. Word of mouth, critical reception, friends blah blah blah all play a part.
    But I think if anyone can take down Brad (loved him here) it’s Dafoe.

jmho

• This reply was modified 4 days, 5 hours ago by  teri.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Shia Labeouf is apparently brilliant in “Honey Boy” and so is the movie which he wrote himself.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It is a punishing exercise in the eccentric and esoteric.

You say that like it’s a bad thing. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not a straight drama. It’s a weird genre mix.

I take your point, though the way I see it (and this might not be a popular view) The Lighthouse doesn’t outweird something like There Will Be Blood by all that much, except that the former has more surrealism. That’s not an idle comparison either as both feature half-crazed performances with passages of dense prose, though Anderson’s film had the Oscar-season advantage of being a neo-Western in an annus mirabilis for that genre.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The weirdest thing for me ‘re TWBB is Dano’s hair.

Looks as if, aside from the pacing issues, we all had different reactions, which in itself makes LH more interesting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I’ve made my posts here primarily about praising Willem Dafoe’s performance, so I think I will compliment some other Supporting Actor performances today.

Now, admittedly I haven’t seen The Irishman yet so that’s a few big contenders out of the way.

Brad Pitt isn’t my favourite part or performance of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, but he has some good comedic timing and nails some scenes. The violent chaos of the finale works because he is simultaneously charismatic and an unrepentant asshole. He brings out the comedy in this movie.

Parasite has a lot of great performances, but I’d argue one of the best is Song Kang-ho. As the patriarch of the family and yet very much not the protagonist, he has a tricky role to fill. The third act’s twists and denouement largely are placed on his shoulders (to the point I might argue he’s lead), and he manages to make the absurd escalation fit. A lesser actor would’ve resulted in this crumbling into a pile of cruelty as a moral fable, but he manages to maintain the human element of it all, thus making the message all the more powerful.

Taika Waititi wasn’t as bad as I was fearing in Jojo Rabbit, thus making him one of the few positive surprises in that movie.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

The audience is going to have the same, divided reactions. This will spark conversation and I can’t see how that can possibly hurt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The audience is going to have the same, divided reactions. This will spark conversation and I can’t see how that can possibly hurt.

Divisive is far better to a film in the Oscars than a general consensus of “it’s OK”. With the way voting works, passionate #1s matter more than consistency. Divisive films also mean conversation and conversation means more people watching.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly feel that Sam Rockwell was way more nomination-worthy than Taika Waititi

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Divisive is far better to a film in the Oscars than a general consensus of “it’s OK”. With the way voting works, passionate #1s matter more than consistency. Divisive films also mean conversation and conversation means more people watching.

Same. I see no reason why they reach for the safe options. Widen your perspective already, Academy. Open your minds just that wee wee crack.
    lol

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Honestly feel that Sam Rockwell was way more nomination-worthy than Taika Waititi

I can understand that, but I’d personally nominate Waititi first. Rockwell’s character and performance have much more depth (which they should, since his role is a real person while Taika’s is imaginary), but Waititi had me laughing almost every time he was onscreen, which is pretty much the entire point of his character. If this comedy is gonna make it all the way to the Oscars, then why not nominated the funniest performance (at least in my opinion)?

With that being said, I think they’re both worthy of nominations. I currently get the feeling that Taika will get nominated, but if it weren’t for the presence of imaginary Adolf, I think Rockwell would be a much stronger contender this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, but also he isn’t great and he’s played a straight version of this role before. Repeatedly.

We wouldn’t be in the Willem Dafoe situation this race if not for that inbred rat Rockwell winning for an awful performance in the worst part of Three Billboards.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, but also he isn’t great and he’s played a straight version of this role before. Repeatedly. We wouldn’t be in the Willem Dafoe situation this race if not for that inbred rat Rockwell winning for an awful performance in the worst part of Three Billboards.

Nah I wouldn’t personally nominate him and he wasn’t outstanding to me nor did he differentiate himself from his last few performances BUT I think he did a lot more in less screentime as opposed to Waititi

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

You say that like it’s a bad thing. 🙁

I didn’t care for it in this case. I like weird movies too. I’m part of the vocal cabal that loves Suspiria (2018).

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 191 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.