Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 441 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
43 mins ago
replies
views
users
teri
thatnerdgreg
M: The Original
  • Vicki Leekx
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, I’m just too old. Yeah, Etxeandia’s snub from his own studio is atrocious. He’s Oscar-worthy.

Is it possible to happen without appearing specifically on FYC ads? I’m clinging to the hope where it says “FYC in all categories” to bear fruit.

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish Robert James-Collier was being campaigned for his performance in Downton Abbey. has it ever happened that someone who has not been campaigned for at all by their studio has wound up with a nomination? RJ-C has given my favorite performance by an actor in 2019. I know it’s a million to one, perhaps more, but I can dream it!

I am definitely expecting Dafoe, Pacino, Pitt and Pesci to be nominated. Probably Tom Hanks for the fifth slot…

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

My thoughts as of now for the nominations:
    -Pitt
    -Pacino
    -Pesci
    -Hanks (still unseen)
    -Jojo Rabbit actors/Parasite actor/Alan Alda/Dafoe

Having seen The Irishman, I would personally choose Pesci over Pacino. Some of his last scenes in the film were surprisingly heartbreaking to watch.

I’m now expecting one of the Irishman actors or Hanks to take this. Their films will be peaking at the right times. I will say though, an actor from The Irishman will win only if one of them is nominated. If both are, then vote-splitting will prevent either from winning.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Scott.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Scott.
    ReplyCopy URL
    fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anyone think Joe Pesci’s chances might be hurt by the fact he is not doing any publicity or campaigning for The Irishman? 

I don’t think Pesci will be forgotten, no matter what. His return to acting and one of the best turns of the year will make waves in the academy, campaign or not. Plus even if he doesn’t campaign personally, of course Netflix will push him.

ReplyCopy URL
    fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

Also sorry for the double post, but I just saw FvF finally, and I am very surprised by the (very few) people predicting Tracy Letts. I mean really? He was good and had one great scene, but doesnt stand up remotely to the other powerhouses fighting for spots in this category. And in this crowded of a year? He has to be 10th at best

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Also sorry for the double post, but I just saw FvF finally, and I am very surprised by the (very few) people predicting Tracy Letts. I mean really? He was good and had one great scene, but doesnt stand up remotely to the other powerhouses fighting for spots in this category. And in this crowded of a year? He has to be 10th at best

There are always going to be people predicting every single person lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

There are always going to be people predicting every single person lol.

Of course, but I think even Sasha stone at awards daily, maybe my favorite awards writer, was predicting Letts.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Lettis was a fantastic scene steaner, but he doesn’t belong in any Top 5 supporting actor list. His performance was way too small and insignificant to the overall plot.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

ReplyCopy URL
    cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Ford vs Ferrari? Christian Bale’s performance was amazing. I think he should be nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Ford vs Ferrari? Christian Bale’s performance was amazing. I think he should be nominated.

I thought he was over the top. Damon was better.

ReplyCopy URL
    RobertPius
    Participant
    Topics:

I wish Robert James-Collier was being campaigned for his performance in Downton Abbey. has it ever happened that someone who has not been campaigned for at all by their studio has wound up with a nomination? RJ-C has given my favorite performance by an actor in 2019. I know it’s a million to one, perhaps more, but I can dream it!

I am definitely expecting Dafoe, Pacino, Pitt and Pesci to be nominated. Probably Tom Hanks for the fifth slot…

The only non-campaigned person I can think of is Jennifer Tilly for Bullets Over Broadway. Her studio didn’t campaign her so she did it herself and got a nomination. The studio was pushing Diane Wiest and Tracey Ullman but not Tilly.

ReplyCopy URL
    LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t Melissa Leo also have to Campaign for herself for The Fighter?

And Mo’Nique didn’t campaign for Precious. I remember her speech shading that.

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

Sam Rockwell is popular enough to break in. Whether Richard Jewell or JoJo Rabbit.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

ReplyCopy URL
    oscarin7
    Participant
    Topics:

Sam Rockwell is popular enough to break in. Whether Richard Jewell or JoJo Rabbit.

Umm yeah, Sam Rockwell is not getting nominated… there are just a lot of better performances for him to get in… last year was a weak year in Supporting Actor but not this time around.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

The only non-campaigned person I can think of is Jennifer Tilly for Bullets Over Broadway. Her studio didn’t campaign her so she did it herself and got a nomination. The studio was pushing Diane Wiest and Tracey Ullman but not Tilly.

If that’s true then I’m flummoxed that they would campaign Ullman over Tilly when the latter has a more significant role and performance.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 441 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.