Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 499 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Dan Backslide
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Looks like that is it for Sterling K. Brown, so I am now predicting Song Kang Ho to win.

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Song Kang Ho needs to be nominated

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Looks like that is it for Sterling K. Brown, so I am now predicting Song Kang Ho to win.

How? What’s your logic?

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci Brad Pitt… what decade is this? That is a lot of old white guys who already have Oscars. Alan Alda and Willem Dafoe have also been around forever and feel like the same demographic. They can still get an Oscar one of these years, but these current projects are not the ones. I find it hard to believe that academy members are going to be itching to give any of these guys a win for these performances in light of last year’s acting winners—three were first-time nominees and the fourth had gotten his first nomination only two years earlier. So I am looking for the apple in the bag of oranges. I thought that it would be Sterling K. Brown because he fit the mould of essentially all of last year’s acting winners in that he was a recent awards darling for television work now stepping into the world of prestige film. I am less confident about Song Kang Ho, who could easily go the way of Brown at Gotham and the Spirits and be a nonstarter, but I do have Parasite taking it all, so maybe a rising tide helps him.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

The only non-campaigned person I can think of is Jennifer Tilly for Bullets Over Broadway. Her studio didn’t campaign her so she did it herself and got a nomination. The studio was pushing Diane Wiest and Tracey Ullman but not Tilly.

Olive:” What do you think I am, some kind of chump? They’re black, for God’s sake. They probably came from defective oysters.”

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

He would need some breaks but I could see that happening. If Pitt isnt the frontrunner we thought, Pacino already well awarded, Dafoe in divisive film, the skies could open up for him.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci Brad Pitt… what decade is this? That is a lot of old white guys who already have Oscars. Alan Alda and Willem Dafoe have also been around forever and feel like the same demographic. They can still get an Oscar one of these years, but these current projects are not the ones. I find it hard to believe that academy members are going to be itching to give any of these guys a win for these performances in light of last year’s acting winners—three were first-time nominees and the fourth had gotten his first nomination only two years earlier. So I am looking for the apple in the bag of oranges. I thought that it would be Sterling K. Brown because he fit the mould of essentially all of last year’s acting winners in that he was a recent awards darling for television work now stepping into the world of prestige film. I am less confident about Song Kang Ho, who could easily go the way of Brown at Gotham and the Spirits and be a nonstarter, but I do have Parasite taking it all, so maybe a rising tide helps him.

Parasite isn’t “taking it all”. It takes Best Director, maybe a below the line tech win but not cinematography, FLF, and that’s it. If it does better than that, I’ll think I’m having a good dream.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Frontrunners

Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Al Pacino, The Irishman

On the brink

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
    Willem Dafoe, The Lighthouse
    Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
    Joe Pesci, The Irishman

Next in line

John Lithgow, Bombshell
    Jamie Foxx, Just Mercy

Strong possibilities

Shia LaBeouf, Honey Boy
    Song Kang-ho, Parasite

Possibilities

Timothee Chalamet, Little Women
    Sam Rockwell, Richard Jewell
    Alan Alda, Marriage Story
    Sam Rockwell, Jojo Rabbit
    Sterling K. Brown, Waves
    Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit

Shouldn’t be written off

Lucas Hedges, Waves
    Ray Liotta, Marriage Story

Longer shots

Robert Downey, Jr., Avengers: Endgame
    Jonathan Majors, The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    Tracy Letts, Ford vs. Ferrari
    George McKay, 1917

Theoretical possibilities

Wesley Snipes, Dolemite Is My Name
    Jamie Bell, Rocketman
    Aldis Hodge, Clemency

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Daniel Craig?

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Your argument makes no sense. Al Pacino has one Oscar and is one of the greatest actors alive. Voters wouldnt wanna see him win his 2nd? Especially since they gave Ali his 2nd

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Your argument makes no sense. Al Pacino has one Oscar and is one of the greatest actors alive. Voters wouldnt wanna see him win his 2nd? Especially since they gave Ali his 2nd

Ali starred in 2 BP winners. I guess if Irishman wins BP then Pacino would go along for the ride. I dont think he has a narrative other than that. But Ali?!?! Isnt a winning message.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Lucas Hedges is extraordinary in Honey Boy, as are Noah Jupe and Shia LeBeouf (I personally felt that the latter two belong in the lead actor category but understand that they are being campaigned in supporting). All 3 are amazing! The film is so imaginative and inventive, and the performances are all brilliant! I so prefer any of these 3 to Willem Dafoe’s in The Lighthouse, which might win because I have a feeling Al Pacino and Joe Pesci will cancel each other out…

Lucas Hedges has shown such enormous range over the past 3 years. His older Otis is his best performance yet – he made me cry in one of his scenes with his therapist at the rehab center so hard (and cathartic). Just beautiful!

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Ali starred in 2 BP winners. I guess if Irishman wins BP then Pacino would go along for the ride. I dont think he has a narrative other than that. But Ali?!?! Isnt a winning message.

Pacino clearly has a narrative. He’s a living legend making a comeback who’s considered overdue for another win after being snubbed many times.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Pacino clearly has a narrative. He’s a living legend making a comeback who’s considered overdue for another win after being snubbed many times.

You cant be “overdue” and an oscar winner. lol And if that is Pacino’s narrative than Pitt has stronger one than that. Character actor producing BP winners finally getting his due for his underrated acting that he never won for before.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

You cant be “overdue” and an oscar winner. lol And if that is Pacino’s narrative than Pitt has stronger one than that. Character actor producing BP winners finally getting his due for his underrated acting that he never won for before.

You absolutely can be considered overdue for another Oscar win – that’s one of the reasons Streep won for one of her worst performances.

To be perfectly clear, I’m not saying Al Pacino is overdue, and I doubt most voters feel any sense of urgency to crown him a two-time winner; I also agree that Pitt has a much clearer narrative – even Willem Dafoe has a stronger narrative than Pacino.

But purely in terms of whether a one-time winner can be considered overdue for a second win: of course they can.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.