Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 499 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
babypook
Human Bartender
M: The Original
  • Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

No he’s Not, yes he is, No, yes. Lol! Still waiting for proof either way.

Nobody needs to prove he’s a lead. He does just as much as DiCaprio, therefore he’s a lead.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Poor Willem is getting screwed over by critics awards, probably due to lack of consensus over which category he belongs in. (Philip Seymour Hoffman had the same problem with The Master, even while giving one of the most acclaimed performances of the year.) And I guess that’s fair, because honestly I probably couldn’t vote in good conscience for Willem in supporting either, therefore I wouldn’t be “helping” him on the way to a nomination.

In other news, Joe Pesci is killing it, and Song Kang-ho gets a boost from LA film critics.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Poor Willem is getting screwed over by critics awards, probably due to lack of consensus over which category he belongs in. (Philip Seymour Hoffman had the same problem with The Master, even while giving one of the most acclaimed performances of the year.) And I guess that’s fair, because honestly I probably couldn’t vote in good conscience for Willem in supporting either, therefore I wouldn’t be “helping” him on the way to a nomination.

In other news, Joe Pesci is killing it, and Song Kang-ho gets a boost from LA film critics.

My hopes are up marginally for Parasite beyond Director.
    As for Dafoe, he’s still a top 5 candidate imo. And I don’t see Pesci winning, although I was right about Pacino despite the corrections made by others.
    Guess we’ll find out asap

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Nobody needs to prove he’s a lead. He does just as much as DiCaprio, therefore he’s a lead.

Why are you singling out MY post? Because you and Tony are right and I’m wrong?
    Prove it. And while you’re at it, prove the Academy wrong.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

Why are you singling out MY post? Because you and Tony are right and I’m wrong? Prove it. And while you’re at it, prove the Academy wrong.

I singled out your post cause you’re the only person who mentioned proof about category placement. And I don’t need to prove to Academy voters that he’s a lead. Most of them know he is. Just like how most voters knew Ali, Stone, Weisz, Davis, Vikander, Mara, Roberts, Hoffman, Bejo, and many others were leads. It’s not like they’re ignorant to that. But studios and voters know this is an easier way to reward performance they like with nominations and wins so they vote for them here anyway. There’s nothing to prove.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    TheDreamingHead
    Topics:

I mean at least Willem Dafoe got some nods. Tom Hanks is the one of the unfixable ones are the most underperforming so far!

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I singled out your post cause you’re the only person who mentioned proof about category placement. And I don’t need to prove to Academy voters that he’s a lead. Most of them know he is. Just like how most voters knew Ali, Stone, Weisz, Davis, Vikander, Mara, Roberts, Hoffman, Bejo, and many others were leads. It’s not like they’re ignorant to that. But studios and voters know this is an easier way to reward performance they like with nominations and wins so they vote for them here anyway. There’s nothing to prove.

Thing is though, I’m not convinced they do know. Most people don’t consciously think of lead vs. supporting when watching a film, so when an ad is asking them to consider such-and-such in Best Supporting, they don’t think to question it. They don’t study the logistics and ethics of category placement the way we do. The rare occasions they’ve said no to category fraud it was so obvious that even the average layperson could spot it a mile off. It was confusing, for instance, that Kate Winslet was campaigned supporting for The Reader as it contradicted all promotional material for the film where she was front and centre. As The Reader was Oscar-friendly to the max, voters probably didn’t even need to see specifically catered FYC campaigns for it and voted for Winslet in lead automatically. She was the exception that proves the rule.

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

I’m happy to see Wesley Snipes showing up at a few spots. I don’t think he has much of a chance to get in at the big awards (although he does seem like a possible WTF Globes nomination), but his performance was hysterical, and he deserves some recognition.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Globes have 4/5 accuracy in this category, so Dafie still has a chance. I’m predicting a Pacino snub. Double nominations are so rare here, and Pesci’s getting all the love from critics.

My new predictions are

Brad Pitt

Joe Pesci

Tom Hanks

Anthony Hopkins

Willem Dafoe

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    fvg627
    Topics:

Dafoe may have a chance, but it won’t be Pacino getting snubbed. If it happens, it will be Hanks or Hopkins, although I’m actually predicting the globes to go 5/5. And don’t pretend that double nominations don’t happen in this category, they happened just 2 years ago.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Dafoe may have a chance, but it won’t be Pacino getting snubbed. If it happens, it will be Hanks or Hopkins, although I’m actually predicting the globes to go 5/5. And don’t pretend that double nominations don’t happen in this category, they happened just 2 years ago.

But that was the first time since 1991.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Human Bartender
    Topics:

But that was the first time since 1991.

Much like 2 years ago though we have two contenders in one of this year’s biggest films, and both of them have gotten great notices. And unlike Three Billboards where Sam Rockwell was the obvious favorite of the two, right now I’m hearing multiple people rooting Pacino to win, and multiple people rooting for Pesci to win, so they have pretty similar levels of passion behind them. Both are legendary icons, Pacino more so, but Pesci coming up of retirement gives him a similar level of hype. I wasn’t sure about both of them making it awhile back, but after seeing the movie, they both feel very safe to me.

Let’s Go Bucks

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Thing is though, I’m not convinced they do know. Most people don’t consciously think of lead vs. supporting when watching a film, so when an ad is asking them to consider such-and-such in Best Supporting, they don’t think to question it. They don’t study the logistics and ethics of category placement the way we do. The rare occasions they’ve said no to category fraud it was so obvious that even the average layperson could spot it a mile off. It was confusing, for instance, that Kate Winslet was campaigned supporting for The Reader as it contradicted all promotional material for the film where she was front and centre. As The Reader was Oscar-friendly to the max, voters probably didn’t even need to see specifically catered FYC campaigns for it and voted for Winslet in lead automatically. She was the exception that proves the rule.

When someone feels proof is not needed to ram home their point, the conversation is over.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

If Dafoe must be snubbed again for being an actor who takes actual risks in the movies he selects and the performances he makes, I would rather The Irishman winner be Pesci than Pacino. Al Pacino had some good scenes, yes, but his performance was one note. That note being calling people cocksuckers like it’s going out of fashion.

Netflix must’ve offered a fine dick cheese platter for Hopkins to get in for this crowded year. They’ve done a good job maintaining momentum for The Two Popes.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Arthur J. Fleck
    Topics:

The Globes should be embarrassed… how can they nominate Brad Pitt in one of his most inexpressive performances over Willem Dafoe’s magnificent work? These awards have no value.

All I have are negative thoughts

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.