Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
teri
thatnerdgreg
M: The Original
  • WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think if Richard Jewel released in November, Sam Rockwell would be getting nominated. He’s great in the film and couple that with his performance in Jojo Rabbit, I think voters would put him in. His nomination for Vice last year proved the Academy really likes him.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone seen Just Mercy and if so, how is Jamie Foxx?

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Great!  I am not clamoring for a win, but I am happy that the performance is getting recognition.

deaetee
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling Alan Alda is going to coattail his way into the fifth spot, just like Jacki Weaver in 2013.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling Alan Alda is going to coattail his way into the fifth spot, just like Jacki Weaver in 2013.

The reason why I don’t quite see that happening is that Marriage Story, despite being a likely top 5 Best Picture contender, lacks the overwhelming popularity of a Silver Linings Playbook to easily scoop Alda along, as evidenced by its SAG Cast snub. Another thing is Weaver, despite not having a huge amount of dialogue, was present throughout a lot of her film whereas Alda, not so much. I think it’ll just be the locked three for actors in Marriage Story, though I won’t rule out an Alda nom entirely.

Miguel Marrero
    Participant
    Topics:

Alda has no chance at an Oscar nomination, not this year. With Parasite scoring a SAG ensemble nomination, clearly the actor’s branch has a love for it. I am now predicting Song for the coveted 5th spot. I’m confident he will ride the coattails of Parasite’s success, just like Marina De Tavira did last year with Roma.

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

How can anyone suspect Alda being a thing? His work is less substantial than Dern’s. And all the male categories this year are more competitive than the women’s.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Miguel Marrero
    Participant
    Topics:

He was never a thing. The only acting nominations for MS will be Dern, Driver and Scarjo w/Dern being the likely winner out of the bunch. AMPAS likes to spread the awards love. Screenplay and supporting actress awards is enough for a film of this caliber.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Marriage Story losing heat is concerning, but it is not like every coattail has even been as positioned as well as it is now.  It is more in the race than The Wolf of Wall Street and Blue Jasmine, but they still pulled in people at the last minute.  The point is that Marriage Story is definitely being seen—even possibly much more than something like A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Alan Alda has the stature to coattail, regardless of his worthiness, like Laura Dern in Wild.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

How can anyone suspect Alda being a thing? His work is less substantial than Dern’s. And all the male categories this year are more competitive than the women’s.

Agree. After seeing it, I immediately removed him from my predictions. Alda doesnt do much of anything. Maybe he could have coattailed in if MS was stronger but I think that spot is open for a passion pick like Dafoe.

Filmatelist
    Participant
    Topics:

If Song gets nominated, it will set two Academy records:

(1) While Robert DeNiro and Benicio Del Toro won Oscars for foreign-language performances, they were in largely English-language films. No one has ever been nominated for Supporting Actor for a foreign language film. Ever. The only two supporting nods in the past in completely foreign-language films were both for Supporting Actress (DAY FOR NIGHT, ROMA).

(2) No one has ever earned an acting nomination in a foreign-language film from Asia. Ever. The closest would be Rinko Kikuchi, whose performance was still silent and whose film was an international one.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Blue Jasmine

Hawkins did get a Globe nod though so she wasn’t exactly out of the blue and last minute.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Willem Dafoe atleast deserve a nomination for The Lighthouse to build overdue narrative for his eventual deserving win.

If it were up to me I would have given him Oscar this year and I have seen all the contenders.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Hammad Asif.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Hammad Asif.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

Hawkins did get a Globe nod though so she wasn’t exactly out of the blue and last minute.

And BAFTA too.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Sorry, I completely blanked on her having any awards run. Thanks for catching that.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.