Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 176 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
thatnerdgreg
cinetastic
Eddy Q
  • Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I find that very unlikely. Pacino was just as acclaimed as Pesci, he’s in a major contender, he’s a legend, and this is his first humbug film in a long time. I think he’s a lock along with Pesci and Pitt.

Except he was not as acclaimed.  Joe Pesci has won nine awards and been runner-up eight times, whereas Al Pacino has won or been runner-up zero times.  There are certainly people who prefer Pacino to Pesci, but it seems that these people are the types who are not going to be ranking either of them high on their ballot anyway.  I am still predicting him, but Pacino is not going to get the nomination through number-one votes.  It bodes well for him though that he got in at AACTA (over Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins), seeing as their ballots are ranked, unlike BAFTA and SAG. AACTA did not even double-nominate Three Billboards and they gave that film three of their seven trophies that year, whereas they gave The Irishman zero.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw ur post on BAFTA on BuzzFeed’s insta lol.

Whaaaaaaaat!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw ur post on BAFTA on BuzzFeed’s insta lol.

OMGG I just saw people actually saw my Tweet haha

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Except he was not as acclaimed. Joe Pesci has won nine awards and been runner-up eight times, whereas Al Pacino has won or been runner-up zero times. There are certainly people who prefer Pacino to Pesci, but it seems that these people are the types who are not going to be ranking either of them high on their ballot anyway. I am still predicting him, but Pacino is not going to get the nomination through number-one votes. It bodes well for him though that he got in at AACTA (over Tom Hanks and Anthony Hopkins), seeing as their ballots are ranked, unlike BAFTA and SAG. AACTA did not even double-nominate Three Billboards and they gave that film three of their seven trophies that year, whereas they gave The Irishman zero.

I wasn’t talking terms of awards, I’m talking about in terms of reviews. In fact, before Pesci started having greater success with critic’s awards, I’m pretty sure I remember Pacino getting singled out more than him.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anybody seen Just Mercy yet? It opens this weekend here and I am planning on seeing it, but 1917 is my top priority for Friday so I am aiming to see it on Saturday. Jamie Foxx looks to be great in it, but I am thinking his SAG nomination won’t translate into an Oscar nomination due to the late release date. If he had more than just a SAG nomination it would feel different to me. This has nothing to do with quality, of course, Oscar nominations have very little to do with quality!

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine if Christian Bale had decided to campaign as Supporting for Ford v Ferrari.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine if Christian Bale had decided to campaign as Supporting for Ford v Ferrari.

He would be giving pitt some serious competition

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Donated blood and had excess leakage so blood sacrifice to Dafoe’s nomination it is.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

He would be giving pitt some serious competition

He’d probably be nominated, but there’s no way he’d beat Pitt.

ReplyCopy URL
    Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

He’d probably be nominated, but there’s no way he’d beat Pitt.

I know that. But considering the irishman guys most likely canceling each other out, hanks movie having no passion behind it besides him, and who knows whos gonna be that fifth slot, bale would be his only competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, considering the backlash the Baftas are getting, the Oscars will probably want some POC to be nominated, so I feel like that only has to help Song Kang Ho, Jennifer Lopez, and Lupita.

Unfortunately, the BAFTA backlash came at the very end of Oscar voting, so I doubt it had any impact on the voters. Unless the majority actually waited for the last minute.

ReplyCopy URL
    cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

He should have done that. I don’t know why they submitted him for lead, when he seemed like supporting. If he were classified as a supporting act, he would probably beat either Pacino or Hopkins.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

I was predicting him there till they officially announced him lead. Then I removed him from my predictions and havent added him since. Shows how dumb of a decision he made. Maybe he could have given Pitt a run for his money.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

He should have done that. I don’t know why they submitted him for lead, when he seemed like supporting.

Not to people who haven’t been brainwashed by endless category fraud.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My wish list for Monday: Tom Hanks, Robert James-Collier, Noah Jupe (for Honey Boy albeit he was great in Ford v Ferrari too), Shia LeBeouf, and John Lithgow

My predictions: Tom Hanks, Anthony Hopkins, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Brad Pitt

(Hopkins, Pacino and Pesci are superb – just preferred the other four I mentioned much more!)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.