Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 494 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
Pulp
  • Paul Sheehan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue the conversation here.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think The Report is going anywhere. It doesn’t have good enough reviews (85% on Rotten Tommatoes), didn’t get any buzz at TIFF, will make zero money at the box office, and Driver will campaign for Marriage Story instead. Plus, Amazon is kind of ass at campaigning. Remember Beautiful Boy? The only film they’re been able to get into major categories was Manchester by the Sea.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:
    my predictions 1.Laura Dern (Marriage Story) 2.Shuzhen Zhou (The Farewell) 3.Margot Robbie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood) 4.Jennifer Lopez (Hustlers) 5.Meryl Streep (Little Women)…fight me!

Replace Shuzhen Zhou with Florence Pugh and your predictions are perfect.

Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale

ReplyCopy URL
    justonemorething
    Participant
    Topics:

Replace Meryl with Florence. Aunt March is a cameo role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Green Spleen
    Participant
    Topics:

but Shuzhen Zhou has a buzz,and i don’t think Awkwafina is getting for best actress,so i think best sup nomination for Farewel

I’d say it’s doubtful Zhao gets in if Awkwafina doesn’t. Awkwafina not getting in for Actress would probably mean The Farewell wouldn’t get a nod for Picture either. Zhao is a complete unknown, so I don’t think she would get a nod without a Best Picture nomination boosting the profile of the film among voters. To be frank, it doesn’t seem particularly likely even with a Best Picture nod. Aparicio and de Tavira managed to get their spots last season because Netflix spent $60 million campaigning for Roma. A24’s pockets aren’t nearly as deep.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

hmmmmm good thinking,but you know diversity bullshit today,all white actresses nominated will be backlash

JLo is probably going to be the diversity nom in this category though.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

hmmmmm good thinking,but you know diversity bullshit today,all white actresses nominated will be backlash

I hardly shade any GoldDerby users, but not only are your texting and sentencing skills atrocious, that’s also some fucked up ideology you’re having right there…

ReplyCopy URL
    Dee Dee Blanchard
    Participant
    Topics:

Little angels, Jennifer Lopez is far from winning an Oscar. She isn’t even going to be nominated. You’ll wake up sooner or later.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bradley Jackson
    Participant
    Topics:

Lopez is probably getting the nomination. And I’m not going to blame the acting branch, and neither should you. The category is literally EMPTY.
    My prediction: Dern (winner by far), Robbie (Bombshell), Smith, Lopez, Streep (Laundromat).

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

^ The category is not empty this year; in fact, it’s shaping up to be quite a year for Supporting Actress. All these performances have at least a theoretical shot:

Laura Dern, Marriage Story
    Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers
    Annette Bening, The Report
    Florence Pugh, Little Women
    Margot Robbie, Bombshell
    Nicole Kidman, Bombshell
    Thomasin McKenzie, Jojo Rabbit
    Zhao Shuzhen, The Farewell
    Margot Robbie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit
    Anne Hathaway, Dark Waters
    Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
    Meryl Streep, Little Women
    Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Dolemite Is My Name
    Taylor Rusell, Waves
    Meryl Streep, The Laundromat
    Anna Paquin, The Irishman
    Emma Thompson, Late Night

That’s almost twenty performances vying for a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

^ The category is not empty this year; in fact, it’s proving to become a pretty good year for Supporting Actress. All these performances have at least a theoretical shot: Laura Dern, Marriage Story Annette Bening, The Report Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers Florence Pugh, Little Women Margot Robbie, Bombshell Nicole Kidman, Bombshell Thomasin McKenzie, Jojo Rabbit Zhao Shuzhen, The Farewell Margot Robbie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Scarlett Johansson, Jojo Rabbit Anne Hathaway, Dark Waters Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey Meryl Streep, Little Women Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Dolemite Is My Name Taylor Rusell, Waves Meryl Streep, The Laundromat Anna Paquin, The Irishman Emma Thompson, Late Night That’s almost twenty performances vying for a nomination.

In a different, stronger year, a lot of these performances wouldn’t even have a theoretical chance at a nomination. This category isn’t being called empty due to a lack of contenders per say, more that a lot of the contenders aren’t seen as giving Oscar caliber performances.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

In a different, stronger year, a lot of these performances wouldn’t even have a theoretical chance at a nomination. This category isn’t being called empty due to a lack of contenders per say, more that a lot of the contenders aren’t seen as giving Oscar caliber performances.

A good deal of them haven’t even been seen. Of those that have been seen, haven’t most been showered in praise?

Yes, I know some people consider Margot Robbie in OUATIH weak and for some the possibility of J-Lo being Oscar-nominated no matter how good a job she does is too much to stomach because of reasons I won’t go into here, but other than them, whose performance has been met as a disappointment / less than Oscar-worthy?

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Ppl are reaching! Yes Jlo is Latina and all that but mostly when it’s convenient for her and the career. She doesn’t have the typical Latina look , voice etc… Eva Longoria is doing more for her community than Jlo ever did. She’s white and shouldn’t be considered as the diversity nom.

Okay, so then she has probably faced rejection from both the latinx community and the white community because she’s certainly not white. Often times people who don’t fit typically into one specific ethnic category face even more hardships than those who can’t be put into different boxes. She surely faces adversity.

ReplyCopy URL
    M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

KATHY BATES BITCHES. Richard Jewell gets an early December release date.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Can we please just talk about supporting actresses and leave race out of this?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 494 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.