Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 498 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
Pulp
  • Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

But if she delivers, she’ll be you personal favorite, right?

Darling, Shouty Dern is akways a pleasure for my vagina, so yes, she’s probably seducing Thatcher once she watches the movie. But for now, Thatcher loves Booty.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m glad I had Robbie nominated for Bombshell for weeks. She was never happening for her cameo on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

She could even win. Her role is culturally relevant, she has been nominated before and she is kinda the new (well not so new now but still) Hollywood hit girl and has worked with many people in the industry now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

and why can’t she win the globe? It’s the same group that gave Gaga + Madonna and multiple singers/entertainer a globe win on their first acting nom.

She’s not winning. Even HFPA isn’t that stupid and I don’t think they’ll feel obliged to fawn over an overrated and non-respected popstar who gave her first good performance in 20 years

if anyone upsets Dern it’ll probably be Robbie who has had a lot of heat recently. An it girl vs an established, respected thespian, both of them in movies that will be bigger players than Jlo’s

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Seven.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

This is definitely going to one interesting category what with Robbie in 2 roles she could be nominated in, Streep being Streep, and how quickly late releases can get screeners out.

ReplyCopy URL
    AnotherVice
    Participant
    Topics:

It would be a dream if Penelope Cruz were to get into this category. Though subtle and limited in screen time, she’s an absolute gem in this beautiful movie. While the present scenes were epic with Banderas, Cruz left you anticipating for the next flashback as she was a total screen stealer and the heart of this movie. I would love for her to get at least some Critics nods and perhaps some televised precursors.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Preface: I want Dern to have an Oscar just as much as anyone. That said, with this category starting to shape up, is she being overestimated big time for basically being Renata Klein in two-three scenes of the Driver/Johannson show? I worry everyone has their hopes too high. Robbie feels incredibly likely and honestly the Academy is probably just as ready to award her as they are Dern, J-Lo would be their way of awarding the narrative of Hustlers (this doesn’t feel that likely), heck, what if ScarJo starts picking up steam so that Renee or Charlize is cleared to sweep and the actors can award Jojo somewhere.

If we make the case that Dern is in a similar place as King (character actress who needs an Oscar in a smaller role) shouldn’t we mention that King swept the critics and Dern definitely won’t? Also that King barely won category (granted her performance was much quieter than Dern’s) and Weisz/Stone had Oscars already, unlike Robbie, Johannson, and J-Lo. I guess that leaves out the Amy Adams of it all, but can that just be chocked up to a passionless reception to that specific performance? I’m pretty tempted to predict Robbie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern definitely won’t?

Why not?

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s literally no alternative in Supporting Actress. Dern is winning, easily. Globes love her anyway, so the other sheep will elect her too. JLo isn’t even getting nominated in the first place. Robbie just doesn’t feel like happening (for a win). Theron will be Bombshell‘s only Golden Globe win at least anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    Piper Halliwell
    Participant
    Topics:

Preface: I want Dern to have an Oscar just as much as anyone. That said, with this category starting to shape up, is she being overestimated big time for basically being Renata Klein in two-three scenes of the Driver/Johannson show? I worry everyone has their hopes too high. Robbie feels incredibly likely and honestly the Academy is probably just as ready to award her as they are Dern, J-Lo would be their way of awarding the narrative of Hustlers (this doesn’t feel that likely), heck, what if ScarJo starts picking up steam so that Renee or Charlize is cleared to sweep and the actors can award Jojo somewhere. If we make the case that Dern is in a similar place as King (character actress who needs an Oscar in a smaller role) shouldn’t we mention that King swept the critics and Dern definitely won’t? Also that King barely won category (granted her performance was much quieter than Dern’s) and Weisz/Stone had Oscars already, unlike Robbie, Johannson, and J-Lo. I guess that leaves out the Amy Adams of it all, but can that just be chocked up to a passionless reception to that specific performance? I’m pretty tempted to predict Robbie.

I don’t think King is comparable to Dern. The former’s previous work was mostly on television (I do not write this in a negative sense) and although she was known and popular in the business, she really needed the critical acclaim to stay relevant during the awards season. Laura Dern is a descendant of a popular actor dynasty, and she has worked with prestigious directors, dozens of Hollywood icons and her filmography has decades of strong work. I think someone like her doesn’t need the critical acclaim (though I think she’ll get a lot of mention) because she’s just well-known, popular, and respected enough to make it with the combination of good performance/strong picture/personal narrative. Also, it’s funny that you mentioned Renata Klein, because the success of Big Little Lies is yet another plus for Dern.

Being ready to reward Robbie might be an exaggeration, but not all awards should be about being ready to reward someone. Sometimes performance and momentum triumph. Robbie is definitely a possibility, though I’d wait for official reviews before I dare to name her the front-runner over Laura Dern.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I just want to remind everyone that Dern is easily sweeping those critics awards. While I haven’t seen the movie yet, it’s already obvious to me that “Marriage Story” is a critical favorite, and Dern seems to give that short but scene-stealing performance that critics end up rallying behind – like King. For the record, as fantastic as King was in her little “Beale Street” screen time, I honestly don’t think she was deserving of that win. It’s one thing if you can maximize your screen time, it’s another if your co-nominees could have done the same had they had less screen time (yes, I’m looking at Stone and Weisz, who were sublime).

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling that Marriage Story’s 3 actors are all going to sweep their respective critics awards, which is realky going to solidify Johansson and Dern in particular. Phoenix at least has enough popular praise to beat Driver at the bigger precursors, but I don’t see any of the masses rooting for Theron, Zellweger, or Robbie.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I have a feeling that Marriage Story’s 3 actors are all going to sweep their respective critics awards, which is realky going to solidify Johansson and Dern in particular. Phoenix at least has enough popular praise to beat Driver at the bigger precursors, but I don’t see any of the masses rooting for Theron, Zellweger, or Robbie.

No one rooted for Close yet she swept. Her BAFTA loss made her vulnerable enough to lose the Oscar too however. All u need is industry support, not the mass’s.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

No one rooted for Close yet she swept. Her BAFTA loss made her vulnerable enough to lose the Oscar too however. All u need is industry support, not the mass’s.

Exactly. Last year Malek and Ali barely won any critics awards. Glenn Close also didn’t win any critics awards and she almost won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I just want to remind everyone that Dern is easily sweeping those critics awards. While I haven’t seen the movie yet, it’s already obvious to me that “Marriage Story” is a critical favorite, and Dern seems to give that short but scene-stealing performance that critics end up rallying behind – like King.

Dern is not sweeping critics, her performance is loud and over the top- which is not to say it’s bad- but that’s not what critics go for. And critics don’t usually let one movie sweep all categories in their respective awards- like if a critics group awards Driver and the Marriage Story screenplay it doesn’t mean Dern will win, they like recognizing more films and particularly like going off the beaten path with supporting. Zhao Shuzen is more likely to win big critics prizes like LA and NY, or even Cruz because those are performances critics rally around. Hell even JLO makes more sense as a critics winner. None of those three I mentioned will win the Oscar, I’m just pointing out that Dern will have critical support for her movie but will not at all be the critics consensus pick like King was

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Dern is not sweeping critics, her performance is loud and over the top- which is not to say it’s bad- but that’s not what critics go for.  

Not true. They loved Colman and Colette last year while ignoring the subtle and internal Close and Aparicio

JLaw also won many critic awards for SLP and AH, both of which were over the top

Hell NYFCC even gave the award to Tiffany Haddish who basically spent the movie cursing and talking about sex

Also Mo’nique. Can’t get louder than this

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 498 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.