Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 498 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
Pulp
  • Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher smells a snub for Awkwardfina’s grandmother. She’s got a difficult name for Academy members. So, her ancient vagina is probably dying without a dildo.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to think that Taylor has a Small chance with cats

Infinitesimally small.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Thatcher smells a snub for Awkwardfina’s grandmother. She’s got a difficult name for Academy members. So, her ancient vagina is probably dying without a dildo.

I’m on the verge of blocking you madam Thatcher. I don’t like doing that. Would you like that dildoless prick?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s what we all want.

This reluctance towards Richard Jewell is interesting. I feel like people were sure of many movies this season getting nominated sight unseen with less popular names attached to them, but for some unspoken reason GDers think Richard Jewell simply “isn’t happening.” Perhaps it’s common to conflate awards chances with how excited you are by a film/the people involved, but it’s ignorant to dismiss Eastwood’s repeatedly proven support within the Academy.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

This reluctance towards Richard Jewell is interesting. I feel like people were sure of many movies this season getting nominated sight unseen with less popular names attached to them, but for some unspoken reason GDers think Richard Jewell simply “isn’t happening.” Perhaps it’s common to conflate awards chances with how excited you are by a film/the people involved, but it’s ignorant to dismiss Eastwood’s repeatedly proven support within the Academy.

I think part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people predicted the mule which similarly came into the field last minute and that did not pay off at all

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Nice to see a post I can completely agree with. My suspicion was a negative response to Clint as a man. Not a director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I think part of it has to do with the fact that a lot of people predicted the mule which similarly came into the field last minute and that did not pay off at all

Point taken, that is a valid concern but I’m wondering why people are so sure this film specifically will fail just because The Mule did. As M said, this film lives and dies on its critical reception, and The Mule got mixed reception. If this film is well-received (and it’s not a late-breaker in the same way of The Mule because it’s premiering at AFI Fest), will it fail solely because The Mule did when Eastwood has had just as many successes with the Academy? I don’t get the logic, and I’m not a fan of Eastwood at all but it seems dismissive.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t here for The Mule picking but that film was never meant to be in the running. So I don’t think that was a legit concern. He played it down and had his eggs in another basket.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t here for The Mule picking but that film was never meant to be in the running. So I don’t think that was a legit concern. He played it down and had his eggs in another basket.

Wasn’t he DL about it to protect Bradley’s chances for ASIB? I don’t think we were even talking about The Mule until a few days before HFPA voting ended, there’s a reason they’re not keeping this one under wraps in the same manner.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Bingo.

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Last night I watched The Laundromat and I am stunned by Streep’s performance. Are people really that confident she won’t be nominated for Supporting for this role? And why not?

ReplyCopy URL
    Blanche
    Participant
    Topics:

Last night I watched The Laundromat and I am stunned by Streep’s performance. Are people really that confident she won’t be nominated for Supporting for this role? And why not?

She’s in a panned film on which she plays a character that disappears after the first 30 minutes and another silly character. In my opinion,in the time she appeared I found her average so I’d like to know why you are stunned.

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s in a panned film on which she plays a character that disappears after the first 30 minutes and another silly character. In my opinion,in the time she appeared I found her average so I’d like to know why you are stunned.

Because her moment to moment work is ridiculously good. Her listening to the other characters. The basic acting technique. Which is why she is so often nominated. Not only that, but her characters’ discoveries and slow and gradual descent into hopelessness is so truthful.

The last scene of the movie is enough for a nomination in my opinion. Her imagination is unparalleled. The way she sheds those layers…no one could do that as well as she did. Truly.

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Also on the topic of Streep, I feel like I keep bringing this up, but it’s a huge obstacle for her. The film has no backing at all. Netflix won’t campaign for it (which is really bad considering the all the big, respected names attached to it). Now I’ll admit, if there’s one actor or actress on the planet who can get nominated with zero studio backing, it’s Meryl Streep. But I still can’t see her getting in without the studio on her side, especially when she has another film coming out where she’ll be competing in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Have not seen Little Women yet, but I assume her work in The Laundromat is superior… and if they want to nominate her for LW, then perhaps people will say “eh, let’s just give her the nod for the better of the two performances.”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 498 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.