Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 492 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
M: The Original
Pulp
  • Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Can anyone shed light on why Dern is the favourite? She plays a lawyer who stands up for the Scar Jo character in Court? Does she propel the story forward? Does she display great range? Just curious. It seems odd to be the heavy favourite for a stock standard lawyer role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Streep isn’t happening. Even more delusional than those still predicting Bening.

Famous last words. JLo and Snubbed Bening aint stopping Streep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Laura Dern?? Like seriously Laura Dern? What were you people basing this prediction on? The woman barely has a role and plays the same ol routine as she did in BLL in whatever scenes she had. If people were basing her chances on that sole Virgin Mary scene then there were clearly delusional.

Julie Hagerty makes a much bigger impact than her and i hope the voters recognize her performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Can anyone shed light on why Dern is the favourite? She plays a lawyer who stands up for the Scar Jo character in Court? Does she propel the story forward? Does she display great range? Just curious. It seems odd to be the heavy favourite for a stock standard lawyer role.

Goldderby logic in a nutshell. Johansson has no chance at a win despite getting raves from critics, but Dern’s barely been mentioned and is the overwhelming frontrunner. I have her at number one because of her overdue narrative, her one super baity scene, and that fact that she’s in a very strong Picture contender. Robbie (and maybe Pugh) could upset her though, even though I don’t see that happening right now.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Morley
    Topics:

Kathy Bates is really good in the trailer of Richard Jewell. A couple of words she uttered but she touched my heart…. I know it is very unlikely for her to be a contender but we never know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Salsa Club
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DrewN92
    Topics:

I think she has a lot of goodwill in the industry, is on the board of governors of the acting branch in the academy, has had an impressive career, and has had a major last couple of years-especially this year with Big Little Lies, Marriage Story, and Little Women.

I have a feeling this will end up being considered along the lines of a “career win,” but it certainly helps she is in a major BP contender and has a showy scene. She doesn’t have a lot of screentime but I think her “narrative” and having a several minute long monologue that was received so well in Cannes, Toronto, etc. could bring her to a win.

With that being said, I wouldn’t be altogether shocked if someone like Pugh or Robbie came along and won the Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Kathy Bates is really good in the trailer of Richard Jewell. A couple of words she uttered but she touched my heart…. I know it is very unlikely for her to be a contender but we never know.

Why? Warner is getting less than a handful of nods for Joker.
    She even made the poster. Supporting Actress isn’t a bloodbath this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think she has a lot of goodwill in the industry, is on the board of governors of the acting branch in the academy, has had an impressive career, and has had a major last couple of years-especially this year with Big Little Lies, Marriage Story, and Little Women. I have a feeling this will end up being considered along the lines of a “career win,” but it certainly helps she is in a major BP contender and has a showy scene. She doesn’t have a lot of screentime but I think her “narrative” and having a several minute long monologue that was received so well in Cannes, Toronto, etc. could bring her to a win. With that being said, I wouldn’t be altogether shocked if someone like Pugh or Robbie came along and won the Globe.

It also helps Dern that Regina King got a similar win last year: a small but showy performance in a big Oscar contender that was awarded mostly as a career achievement win. And while her competition wasn’t exactly weak last year, she did benefit from Weisz and Stone cancelling each other out, a lack of passion for Adams, and De Tavira being mostly a coattail nom.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Goldderby logic in a nutshell. Johansson has no chance at a win despite getting raves from critics, but Dern’s barely been mentioned and is the overwhelming frontrunner. I have her at number one because of her overdue narrative, her one super baity scene, and that fact that she’s in a very strong Picture contender. Robbie (and maybe Pugh) could upset her though, even though I don’t see that happening right now.

So you’re pretending the GoldDerby logic behind a Laura Dern win isn’t exactly the reason why YOU have her at number one too? Your reasons are pretty much what everybody on GoldDerby has as reasons for Dern winning. Plus working with many voters before and being an important member of the Academy and the category being empty as fuck.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Dern is in drivers seat because her film will be far and away the highest on the BP totem poll of those who could possibly be nominated. Pugh is getting Revelation! raves but not she should win! raves. Same with Robbie who has issues of playing a character that isnt even real. So seems like easy street for Dern.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I saw Luce last night. Octavia Spencer deserves to be nominated. She was so good in it. This woman has just become the queen of supporting roles.

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, is Luce worth it?

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Darlings, is Luce worth it?

yes. I love it

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

There would be meltdowns if Octavia stole a spot this year as well.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.