Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 489 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
EsOS
  • John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop lying to yourselves, Laura Dern is NOT undeniable, it’s Driver, Johansson then her.

Exactly. Acting like Dern is more of a lock than Johansson is foolish, and Driver would be a lock too if it weren’t for Phoenix. Dern could easily be beaten by Pugh or Robbie if Little Women and Bombshell get the buzz and raves they need. If Dern wins if will be because those two films aren’t as big as Marriage Story, or don’t have a strong enough narrative.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Laura Dern
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

“DeEr…this isn’t a human..”

I don’t know what your point is, but that’s the style. These people don’t think like people.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean it’s obvious Dern is winning. Jlo Is never winning an Oscar. She might win the Golden Globe or spirit but the Oscar will never be hers. Even if she becomes a frontrunner she’ll lose it like Eddie Murphy in the end.

The reason I say that is because people on here act like their personal preferences for other performances will factor into industry voting, when people were saying the exact same things about Janney and King and they still ended up winning. They don’t vote solely on who has the best performance anymore, especially in this category.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

The reason I say that is because people on here act like their personal preferences for other performances will factor into industry voting, when people were saying the exact same things about Janney and King and they still ended up winning. They don’t vote solely on who has the best performance anymore, especially in this category.

That rationale is for all acting categories.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

Kathy Bates is apparently lead (she was never happening anyway) https://twitter.com/nathanielr/status/1198637478808301569?s=21

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know what your point is, but that’s the style. These people don’t think like people.

Have you seen Green Book? The BP winner last year? Or did you boycott it because you were told it’s a white saviour film?

https://youtu.be/3Y6-11P8S1o

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Laura Dern doesn’t have the performance to warrant a win, stop this!

She’s convincing in Marriage Story, but her performance isn’t that strong nor memorable. In a year with stronger players, she would NOT have any chance for a nomination. The fact that Jennifer Lopez is considered as a frontrunner just proves how weak this category is, therefore people like Dern can prevail easily because of goodwill.

Stop lying to yourselves, Laura Dern is NOT undeniable, it’s Driver, Johansson then her.

This is the reason why the general audience is dropping these awards more and more. They are not based on merit. I remember an actress of a certain age getting trashed here because she was about to get an Oscar for her career, that was bad, now suddenly people are blind when it comes to their favorite Dern.

Maybe it’s you that’s lying to yourself. Thinking one performance is better than another is subjective. There’s no graded measure stick.
    Dern is Hollywood Royalty and it’s her time. Plus, she has the performance to justfy the win, which is no surprise coming from Dern.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  teri.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

That rationale is for all acting categories.

I took it to mean he was just using that one as an example.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I took it to mean he was just using that one as an example.

Yeah, just that all the bitching pre-Oscars that Janney/King weren’t deserving didn’t make a difference in the end and no “better” alternatives bested them, because they don’t vote based on performance. All this talk that Dern’s performance isn’t deserving is moot and pointless because that won’t be their priority, as it hasn’t been for quite a few years.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

CateNicole
    Participant
    Topics:

Have you seen Green Book? The BP winner last year? Or did you boycott it because you were told it’s a white saviour film? https://youtu.be/3Y6-11P8S1o

I’ve neither seen it–I know it won, thank you–nor purposely boycotted it. Although I do have reservations about some of the people who made the film–Islamophobia and allegations of sexual assault–and also about the way in which they conducted their research…

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

You lost all credibility.

Not sure if serious. She was Academy Governor for Actors branch. Her family is entrenched in Hollywood. Bruce Dern? Diane Ladd? Heard of them?

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve neither seen it–I know it won, thank you–nor purposely boycotted it. Although I do have reservations about some of the people who made the film–Islamophobia and allegations of sexual assault–and also about the way in which they conducted their research…

Watch it and decide for yourself. I saw a different message, and if I detected any of that it wouldn’t be my favorite film of the year

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

You lost all credibility.

I’m happy to disappoint you.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Kathy Bates is apparently lead (she was never happening anyway) https://twitter.com/nathanielr/status/1198637478808301569?s=21

Who do we bribe to get them to for Jessie Buckley

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

So what? both of them are irrelevant. People genuinely don’t know/care about Dern and her family. So because she works at the Academy or whatever this means she’s Hollywood royalty lol. My Goodness, y’all I can’t!

Just because you dislike Dern and her family doesn’t mean she’s not Hollywood royalty. You’re just projecting your feelings onto others. People love Laura and her parents.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 489 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.