Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 500 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
M: The Original
EsOS
  • M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand why more people on here aren’t talking about or predicting her. I think she’s more likely than Scarlett, and I’m currently guessing she’ll get in.

Rabbit maybe shut out of the acting categories.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Participant
    Topics:

She’s second to Amy Adams in this regard, let’s be fair

Adams didn’t debut as a coattail nominee.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Adams didn’t debut as a coattail nominee.

Neither did Octavia. She debuted with a complete sweep.

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s second to Amy Adams in this regard, let’s be fair

People always say this about Adams, but I’m convinced that if there was a different actress in each of Adams’s nominated roles none of them would be described as coattailing. Adams just happens to have been nominated a lot for movies with other nominated performances. And? In Doubt she played a previously Tony-nominated role. In The Fighter she was playing what was then considered against type for her. She actually won major critics awards for The Master, had a showy accent-switching role in American Hustle (showier than Bale actually), and if anyone was coattailing Vice it was Sam Rockwell not her. The “Adams as coattail” argument seemed to be further supported by her snub for Arrival for which she would’ve been the sole acting nominee, but dig a little deeper and there were other factors involved: subdued performance, genre bias in acting branch, more concentrated passion for Huppert and Negga. I can think of clearer examples of coattailing than any of Adams’s nominated roles; Jacki Weaver in Silver Linings Playbook and Rachel McAdams in Spotlight come to mind.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I stan you for mentioning queen Elisabeth. I thought I was the only one championing her for that movie!

She was absolutely STUNNING in Us. It honestly baffles me as to why so many people here are so averse to her performance in that movie, she was nothing but phenomenal. I think that people are a little too quick to dismiss more limited roles as being undeserving just because they didn’t have as much screen time, even if they were very very good. With this stellar performance and the way she SERVED in the trailer for The Invisible Man, I would love for her to become the next great scream queen. Anyone got Ari Aster’s phone number?

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh wait, I forgot about Luce! I watched it last week, and Octavia Spencer and Marsha Stephanie Blake are absolutely EVERYTHING in that movie. So so stunning. Spencer is sidelined in so many movies that it’s easy to forget why she’s so amazing, but movies like this remind me. Wow wow wow.

Participant
    Topics:

She was absolutely STUNNING in Us. It honestly baffles me as to why so many people here are so averse to her performance in that movie, she was nothing but phenomenal. I think that people are a little too quick to dismiss more limited roles as being undeserving just because they didn’t have as much screen time, even if they were very very good. With this stellar performance and the way she SERVED in the trailer for The Invisible Man, I would love for her to become the next great scream queen. Anyone got Ari Aster’s phone number?

Moss doesn’t have enough screen time to justify a push. The family at the center of Us really are the stars of the picture to the point the rest of the ensemble recedes.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Moss doesn’t have enough screen time to justify a push. The family at the center of Us really are the stars of the picture to the point the rest of the ensemble recedes.

But she acts circles around everyone in that cast (minus Nyong’o) with just one particular scene, and I’m sure everyone knows which scene I’m talking about.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

But she acts circles around everyone in that cast (minus Nyong’o) with just one particular scene, and I’m sure everyone knows which scene I’m talking about.

ICONIC!!!

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be more interested in seeing Moss get pushed for Her Smell more than Us.

#FreeTheBannedFour

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought Moss was good in Us, but I definitely wouldn’t call her Oscar worthy. The only part of that film that I believe was deserving of a nomination was Lupita, which I’m not predicting.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

imo Lupit a is the only Oscar worthy perf in US. That film wouldn’t have worked without her in it. And I thought her work was more complex than in her win .
    I lost my temper with her stans, which is nobody here, because although I’m fine with posted pictures they were going on and on and on saying how beautiful her skin is. I barged in to try to divert them, but it worked for about 10 seconds until I was accused of being jealous.

It’s very doubtful she’s nominated for this for a variety of questionable reasons. Right now just based on what I’ve seen she’s top 5 .

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

THR1

THR2

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I like what Dern’s wearing.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Lmao this is literally exactly the point I made in my post. How deserving people are for a nomination should never be based on screen time. Viola Davis was barely in seven or eight minutes of Doubt, but would you say that she was undeserving of her nomination just because of her small role? No! It’s the same argument that we keep having over and over in the TV forums about Fleabag. Length is never more important than quality. If Moss took ten minutes of screentime and absolutely killed every single one, then it’s silly to call her undeserving.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.