Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions for Best Actress (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions for Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 356 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
replies
views
users
teri
Aileen Wuornos
Lil Tony
  • Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

What do you think of Driver and Dern?

It’s Driver Story. It’s mostly a showcase for him. He’s heartbreaking throughout. Johansson does great work on the first act of the film then she becomes a background character sort of like Lady Gaga to Bradley Cooper last year. Dern doesn’t have much screentime and her character is very much Laura Dern. She has one hell of a speech in the film though which might be the reason why she’s being predicted as the winner right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Aileen Wuornos
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s Driver Story. It’s mostly a showcase for him. He’s heartbreaking throughout. Johansson does great work on the first act of the film then she becomes a background character sort of like Lady Gaga to Bradley Cooper last year. Dern doesn’t have much screentime and her character is very much Laura Dern. She has one hell of a speech in the film though which might be the reason why she’s being predicted as the winner right now.

Something tells me, the speech won’t be enough for Laura to come through.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

ScarJo is still getting nominated, I think. I haven’t seen the movie yet (that’s the bad thing about living in a small town), but I feel like her performance might be too undeniable for The Academy to snub.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

She’ll get nominated because the category severely lacks strong contenders, but reading actual people’s reviews (and not fake ones from review sites), it seems like ScarJo isn’t winning. Hoping Ronan has some bombastic scene in Little Women and wins her overdue Oscar or something.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

She’ll get nominated because the category severely lacks strong contenders, but reading actual people’s reviews (and not fake ones from review sites), it seems like ScarJo isn’t winning. Hoping Ronan has some bombastic scene in Little Women and wins her overdue Oscar or something.

I don’t think Ronan is overdue just yet. I mean, she’s still in her mid-20s. With that being said, she should be a threat if she is nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Marriage Story yesterday. Johansson might get snubbed. The story loses her on the third act.

I’ve heard this a lot and I kind of disagree.  They feel pretty even.  The focus is just on Johansson for much of the first act and then it shifts to Driver later on.  I think they might both win.

Think this pulls a Network and lands a screenplay win and wins for Johansson, Driver, and Dern.  I don’t think it’s winning Best Picture.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

If only a couple of contenders would crash this race and take the attention away from the trolls.

*cough cough*

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Something tells me, the speech won’t be enough for Laura to come through.

Her speech is incredible, but if any of the three miss, it will be Dern.  However, she basically recieved entrance applause and applause after her monologue.  She is a scene stealer.  She’s at least better than J-Lo.  Still can’t understand what J-Lo does exactly that people seem to find award worthy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve heard this a lot and I kind of disagree. They feel pretty even. The focus is just on Johansson for much of the first act and then it shifts to Driver later on. I think they might both win.

Think this pulls a Network and lands a screenplay win and wins for Johansson, Driver, and Dern. I don’t think it’s winning Best Picture.

Yeah, Netflix will win 3 acting Oscars. I’ll believe it when I see it. Dern is the most likely because her competition is crap.

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

but reading actual people’s reviews (and not fake ones from review sites)

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, Netflix will win 3 acting Oscars. I’ll believe it when I see it. Dern is the most likely because her competition is crap.

Netflix won Foreign Film, director, and cinematography.  They’ll have no issue getting 3 acting wins.  The bigger question is, will they be able to get a BP win?  The Academy seems to have no issue awarding elements of the film, but they do seem to have an issue awarding the film itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Netflix won Foreign Film, director, and cinematography. They’ll have no issue getting 3 acting wins. The bigger question is, will they be able to get a BP win? The Academy seems to have no issue awarding elements of the film, but they do seem to have an issue awarding the film itself.

Acting is different. 1 studio that is unconventional with its theatrical approach is not taking over 3/4 of the acting categories. I’m very sure of that. Also, you mention very clearly that the last time it happened was in the 70s. it basically doesn’t happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

3/4 wins sounds like a huge reach (it’s not happening lbr) but Netflix has been pretty successful at securing acting wins at the Emmys so I don’t see what’s stopping it from getting at least one at the Oscars

Roma was their first big horse in the Oscar race and that was a successful bid

ReplyCopy URL
    DrewN92
    Participant
    Topics:

Her speech is incredible, but if any of the three miss, it will be Dern. However, she basically recieved entrance applause and applause after her monologue. She is a scene stealer. She’s at least better than J-Lo. Still can’t understand what J-Lo does exactly that people seem to find award worthy.

Miss in terms of a win, I am assuming? My gut has been telling me that while she has a great scene and she is so loved by the industry, someone with a meatier role with more screentime such as Robbie in Bombshell could very like sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, no I see it landing a win for Driver and Johansson.  Dern is likely, but her role is small.  I really do think this could win 3/4 along with a screenplay win.  This is a true acting based film with long baity monologues.  I do see this dominating in the acting categories.

With Dern, I could see her missing the win, yeah, but she is great and she does steal every scene she’s in. I doubt it will be Robbie that beats her.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 17 hours ago by  Icecreamben.
    • This reply was modified 3 days, 17 hours ago by  Icecreamben.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 356 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.