Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions for Best Actress (Part 8)

2020 Oscar Predictions for Best Actress (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 482 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
Victor Cruz
Lil Tony
  • Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

After doing some more research, I’m predicting Awkwafina to take the 5th slot. Nearly every year for the last decade, the comedy actress Globe winner has gone on to be nominated for the Oscar, just like in Actor. And Awkwafina has virtually no competition in that category right now, so the chances of her winning are very high. Plus it will give the academy their brownie points for Asian representation.

I’m still only predicting The Farewell for this category though.

Do you think she has the potential to miss SAG and BAFTA?

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Typing

Yes I know I’m idiotic for predicting Johansson and Zellweger snubs but let me be unrealistic at least until Globe nods come out, okay?

(Bottom line: I have a hunch that people don’t like or respect Johansson enough to vote for her en masse. Zellweger hype has already started to die down, and I think that she’ll only get pushed further and further to the back as buzz for Charlize, Saoirse, and others starts to build. Am I wrong? Probably! I’ll start getting focused and realistic once more precursors start happening, but for now? We’re predicting f***ing Hollywood awards shows, it ain’t that serious, so I’m gonna do whatever the hell I want for a little while.)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Do you think she has the potential to miss SAG and BAFTA?

Possibly, though I think she’ll be nominated for at least one of those, and the Critic’s Choice. SAG’s may go with old favorite Helen Miren, and Erivo will probably take the 5th drama slot at the Globes and the 6th slot at Critic’s Choice, due to Harriet’s box office success and high remarks from audience scores. I’d love to see Nyong’o get nominated, but Universal needs to start the miracle campaign NOW, or her chances areas good as dead.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Awkwafina is of course missing BAFTA lol. SAG is 50/50. Will voters be sentimental and watch her movie especially after she presented last year’s SAG nominees, or will they be lazy af? Regardless she’s winning Golden Globe and getting a Critics Choice nod. And the way things are shaping up, I don’t see a passion pick this year, so she’s probably getting the Oscar nom.

SAG favours early releases. Awkwafina might get in there. This race is becoming interesting and I’m loving it

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Boy, Harriet’s surprising success has persuaded me to put Erivo back into my linup, and unfortunately I had to take out Lupita for her. An A+ CinemaScore, an incredibly high RT audience score and she’s playing one of the most beloved figures in American history. No way I am going to ignore that.

Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

I’m predicting

1. Renée Zellweger – Judy
    2. Charlize Theron – Bombshell
    3. Scarlett Johansson – Marriage Story
    4. Lupita Nyong’o – Us
    5. Alfre Woodard – Clemency

Then the spoilers are

1. Awkwafina – The Farewell
    2. Cynthia Erivo – Harriet
    3. Saoirse Ronan – Little Women
    4. Michelle Dockery – Downton Abbey

And I don’t really see anyone else being close to a nomination. Comedy/Musical Actress at the Golden Globes will be a wasteland.

Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

It’s surprising that people point out Johansson isn’t well-liked or respected enough to get her first nomination and predict Erivo instead. Erivo is a newbie in Hollywood. She might have a Tony, but plenty of people have Tonys and never make it in Hollywood.

Not to mention that Erivo, pretty much like Johansson, has proven to be a jerk who can’t keep her mouth shut. Unlike Johansson though, she isn’t overdue.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

The RT rating is encouraging but cinemascores can be unreliable.
    Calling this a box office bonanza is a little precipitous although I can certainly understand why the panic is in about her chances.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

I  wonder why Emma Thompson is not in the conversation, couldn’t she win the GG?

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

I don’t really understand the Lupita hype. I thought she was good, but definitely not Oscar worthy.

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

She has many admirers and she has a track record. I don’t have her in my predix (genre bias, early release) but if she makes it to top 5 she isn’t going to bring down the quality of the nominees.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I feel far more confident in Awkwafina’s inclusion. A lot more than originally.
    Iv e always had her in my predix and now she’s going to stay there. Win it for your great work, and win it for Oberon and Kikuchi.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Calling this a box office bonanza is a little precipitous although I can certainly understand why the panic is in about her chances.

I mean, it’s literally the only major release this week to be profitable. Every other release this week (Dark Fate, Motherless Brooklyn, Arctic Dogs, and The Irishman would have bombed if Netflix didn’t pay for it) is a flop.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions for Best Actress (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.