Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 495 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Gabriel Guarin
John Berchmans
Dan Backslide
  • Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Let’s continue the conversation from Part 9.

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, Disgustantino doesn’t deserve a 3rd dildo for this messy puke inducing script. I have to laugh.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    Lucas Moreira
    Topics:

Sou Brasileiro e acho que The Edge of Democracy não deveria ser indicado.

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Yes I think it is between 1917, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood , Jojo Rabbit and Joker .

Profile picture
    cinetastic
    Topics:

I think, Richard Jewell is such an underrated movie which deserved better. Kathy Bates is amazing in it but Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell deserved a nod and nom, too. Sam Rockwell could have been nominated instead of Al Pacino or Anthony Hopkins. In my opinion, even Olivia Wilde delivered a better performance than Laura Dern in Marriage Story.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Why do we have to wait another month for oscars to announce winners we already know.

Profile picture
    Nicco
    Topics:

I’ve always considered editing, acting and directing the three main categories you have to be nominated in order to win best picture at the oscar. And then there is a fourth HIDDEN category : the social messagge. So let’s see who got all these things and who missed some of them.
    -Joker : It has directing. It has editing. It has acting. It has the wrong social messagge. So it’s 3 out of 4.
    -Hollywood : it has directing. It has acting. It has a social messagge (a nostalgic and anti hippies one). It missed editing.
    -1917 : It has directing, it has a strong anti-war messagge (they told me that). It missed acting and editing. Anyway i would consider the only acting a real miss since it doesn’t need editing and the one shot take is all about cinematography.
    -Jojo Rabbit : It has editing. It has acting. It has a strong anti-racism social messagge. It missed directing.
    -Irishman : it has editing, acting and directing. It missed social message (there is no redemption there).
    -Parasite : it has editing, it has directing, it has a strong social message. It missed acting.
    I see Hollywood as the obvious Winner. For best director i ask you : Tarantino has no oscar in directing, Scorsese just one in 40 years of career. Do you see Academy rewarding Mendes for the second time the year those two are nominated in?

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Joker : It has directing. It has editing. It has acting. It has the wrong social messagge. So it’s 3 out of 4.

How exactly does Joker have the wrong social message. The film is all about a mentally ill man who is beaten down by Reagan-era society, loses his medication because of government funding cuts, and only gets shown kindness by black people. It’s actually very liberal in it’s politics.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

How exactly does Joker have the wrong social message. The film is all about a mentally ill man who is beaten down by Reagan-era society, loses his medication because of government funding cuts, and only gets shown kindness by black people. It’s actually very liberal in it’s politics.

Don’t forget Gary the dwarf. The only character who never acts like an asshole.

Profile picture
    Edgar Blake
    Topics:

I agree with your analysis but I can see this happen: if they really loved Scorsese they could have rewarded him years ago with the universal acclaimed “The Aviator”, it’s sad but I don’t see this love for him and I think “The Departed” will remain his only personal Oscar.

I don’t think Tarantino needs a Director award, he never won an award in this category (DGA, Globe, Critics, etc) and this is not his best film, so I think he will rewarded in the screenplay category (that he does not deserve this year) and, if stars allign, he will go home with the Best Picture awards, and that’s enough. Academy doesn’t want to give another directing award to Scorsese (not for this not-perfect movie) and doesn’t need to give it to Tarantino cause they can reward him in screenplay.

So:

1917 – Director and Cinematography for the technical job
    Hollywood– Screenplay, Supp. Actor, Production Design
    Parasite – International Movie
    Joker – Actor (overdue Phoenix) and Score (GG + CC + genre factor)
    Little Women – Adapted Screenplay (cc + genre factor)
    Marriage Story – Supporting Actress
    Judy – Lead Actress
    Ford v Ferrari – editing and sound mixing (I hope)

Best Pic – 1917 or Hollywood (it’s a PGA thing)
    no awards: Jojo and Irishman, I think

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

He literally gets beat up by a group of black kids and chastised by a black woman on the bus in the first five minutes of the film. This movie does not necessarily have a race problem, but it does not try to posture that “only black people” treat him with kindness.

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

He literally gets beat up by a group of black kids and chastised by a black woman on the bus in the first five minutes of the film. This movie does not necessarily have a race problem, but it does not try to posture that “only black people” treat him with kindness.

-Guys who beat him up and he ends up killing are White

-His co-worker who teases him the most is White.

Joker is far from a perfect film but it is not RACIST.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

-Guys who beat him up and he ends up killing are White -His co-worker who teases him the most is White. Joker is far from a perfect film but it is not RACIST.

And then there’s his love interest…a black woman. The people he shoots in the subway are snotty, spoiled rich white boys. This film isn’t meant to be about race. It’s about access to mental health care and as Joaquin says “the forgotten”.

Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

I agree with your analysis but I can see this happen: if they really loved Scorsese they could have rewarded him years ago with the universal acclaimed “The Aviator”, it’s sad but I don’t see this love for him and I think “The Departed” will remain his only personal Oscar. I don’t think Tarantino needs a Director award, he never won an award in this category (DGA, Globe, Critics, etc) and this is not his best film, so I think he will rewarded in the screenplay category (that he does not deserve this year) and, if stars allign, he will go home with the Best Picture awards, and that’s enough. Academy doesn’t want to give another directing award to Scorsese (not for this not-perfect movie) and doesn’t need to give it to Tarantino cause they can reward him in screenplay. So: 1917 – Director and Cinematography for the technical job Hollywood– Screenplay, Supp. Actor, Production Design Parasite – International Movie Joker – Actor (overdue Phoenix) and Score (GG + CC + genre factor) Little Women – Adapted Screenplay (cc + genre factor) Marriage Story – Supporting Actress Judy – Lead Actress Ford v Ferrari – editing and sound mixing (I hope) Best Pic – 1917 or Hollywood (it’s a PGA thing) no awards: Jojo and Irishman, I think

If Joker wins score, Hildur is the first woman in history to win in her own right for score. I think she’ll win (the score is excellent).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I just did the research to confirm what I was already pretty sure of: no film has ever won Best Film Editing without a win from Critic’s Choice, BAFTA, or ACE. So if Ford v Ferrari doesn’t win at BAFTA, it has no chance at winning the Oscar. So Parasite is the frontrunner right now just because it has a precursor win. That doesn’t mean that it’s guaranteed to win: BAFTA could still give it to The Irishman, or Joker, or Jojo Rabbit. Then it’s between whoever wins BAFTA and Parasite. But if they give it to Once, which isn’t nominated at the Oscars, then Parasite becomes a lock.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.