Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 495 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Gabe Guarin
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
  • Federico Rubachin
    Participant
    Topics:

Given they’re the two most divisive films of the lineup, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jojo Rabbit and Joker get hurt by being put at the bottom spot on several people’s ballots.

it seems to me that many over-exaggerate that jojo is divisive.  It was nominated for almost everything except BAFTA and has an A in cinemascore

Federico Rubachin
    Participant
    Topics:

and it’s funny that many thought that once upon a time was a slam dunk in the PGA having B in cinemascore.Green book won surprisingly the PGA with an A + in ciemascore

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

it seems to me that many over-exaggerate that jojo is divisive. It was nominated for almost everything except BAFTA and has an A in cinemascore

My problem with Jojo Rabbit was that it was supposed to be a ‘comedy’ yet was totally unfunny. I think many people had a problem with the tone of the movie. What saved the movie was the lead – Roman Griffin Davis – his charm disguised what for me at least was a poorly conceived film. I think it will go 0 for 6 at the Oscars.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

it seems to me that many over-exaggerate that jojo is divisive. It was nominated for almost everything except BAFTA and has an A in cinemascore

I think it’s become less divisive after its initial release, at least I hope so, as I loved the film.

cinetastic
    Participant
    Topics:

My problem with Jojo Rabbit was that it was supposed to be a ‘comedy’ yet was totally unfunny. I think many people had a problem with the tone of the movie. What saved the movie was the lead – Roman Griffin Davis – his charm disguised what for me at least was a poorly conceived film. I think it will go 0 for 6 at the Oscars.

Jojo Rabbit isn’t a typical comedy. Since it’s a political satire, it’s a dark comedy. So, it doesn’t intend to be funny.

Moviebuff22
    Participant
    Topics:

The hatred for the joker is being really overblown when it comes to the actual awards industry. Joker probably won’t win best picture but I wouldn’t be shocked either

Federico Rubachin
    Participant
    Topics:

feinberg of THR says that is the frontrunner for adapted screenplay.Between that and his DGA nominee seemed possible that it  could win best picture … until yesterday haha

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Sadly Jojo Rabbit’s controversy died because the film was forgotten and very few people saw it. I thought it would do really well at the Globes like Green Book did but instesd it got 2 nominations and no wins. It’s one of my Top 3 favorite films of the year, so I hope it gets some love at the Oscars: at least in Adapted Screenplay.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

Aaron Kalloo
    Participant
    Topics:

So like The Irishman might win nothing at the Oscars? I think its best shot is Adapted Screenplay but i think Greta will win that for Little Woman. There is also Visual Effects but then 1917 looks like it’ll just sweep does awards so…..

aahoto
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s not just the SAG ensemble win (which for Parasite is honestly HUGE), it’s also that bizarre Ace Eddie win.

Why is the ACE Eddie win “bizarre”?

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Do Oscars Matter?

A beautiful discussion about Oscars done by Renegade Cut channel.

He also talks how less memorable and forgettable BP winners are especially recently which was also a thread about Spotlight recently.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Do Oscars Matter? A beautiful discussion about Oscars done by Renegade Cut channel. He also talks how less memorable and forgettable BP winners are especially recently which was also a thread about Spotlight recently.

I think if something like Parasite wins BP it matters. If something like 1917 or Once Upon a Time wins…not so much. It’s nice for them if they win but it’s not a cultural milestone like Parasite winning would be.

Hinrich689
    Participant
    Topics:

I think if something like Parasite wins BP it matters. If something like 1917 or Once Upon a Time wins…not so much. It’s nice for them if they win but it’s not a cultural milestone like Parasite winning would be.

Don’t be dramatic. The Oscars will still matter for more years regardless of the presence of a cultural milestone or not. Green Book won last year and you’re still here discussing the Oscars. The same goes for a 1917 or Once win.

Singsongoflove01
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t be dramatic. The Oscars will still matter for more years regardless of the presence of a cultural milestone or not. Green Book won last year and you’re still here discussing the Oscars. The same goes for a 1917 or Once win.

By matter I mean to people outside this board. I forgot who won last year tbh. It’s only when a deserving or truly groundbreaking film wins that it sticks.

Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

By matter I mean to people outside this board. I forgot who won last year tbh. It’s only when a deserving or truly groundbreaking film wins that it sticks.

People care about the Oscars. Everybody knows this is THE award in the world of film. People I know – at work, school, everywhere – know that the Oscars are approaching or that a film has won an Oscar etc. The thing is that many of these people simply don’t watch the show. This is the big difference and this is why pundits are discussing the power of Oscar. It’s not about the Oscars, it’s about TV. People don’t have to put the two together.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.