Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 495 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Gabe Guarin
John Berchmans
thatnerdgreg
  • Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

@gabe_guarin, I gave three examples of Best Pictures winning screenplay Oscars over the frontrunners and you single out Green Book because it won the Globe, but so did Birdman and I only gave three examples to begin with, so I again do not know what point you are making or why.

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait till WGA before you call Marriage Story’s screenplay a non factor. There’s really nothing to prove that.

It lost Globe despite leading noms and CC.

I think it can still win screen play to apologize for Baum Bach not being in director. Same to Gerwig, they may not be able to resist the partners winner both screenplay category following their director snub.

This is the Oscars, not the MTV Movie Awards.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  PJ Edwards.
    Dan Jo
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree. I think everything is so Clear now and there won’t be surprises : Hollywood : picture, original screenplay, supp. actor, production design -1917 : director, cinematography, sound effect, sound mix -Parasite : foreign film, editing -Joker : actor, score -Little Women : adapted screenplay, costume design -Marriage Story : supp.actress

I think Parasite could win Best Production Design. I’ve seen all the nominees with the exception of Irishman. I predicted Parasite to win.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Parasite could win Best Production Design. I’ve seen all the nominees with the exception of Irishman. I predicted Parasite to win.

BAFTA’s will decide this category. No film has ever lost Best Production Design after winning at Critic’s Choice, ADG, and BAFTA. Bith Paraiste and Once will win ADG, since they’re in selerate categories, but if Once wins BAFTA the race is over. I do think it could lose though, since the big factor it has going for it is the recreation of Hollywood in the 60’s, which matters a lot less to International voters.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

BAFTA’s will decide this category. No film has ever lost Best Production Design after winning at Critic’s Choice, ADG, and BAFTA. Bith Paraiste and Once will win ADG, since they’re in selerate categories, but if Once wins BAFTA the race is over. I do think it could lose though, since the big factor it has going for it is the recreation of Hollywood in the 60’s, which matters a lot less to International voters.

I think Once Upon a Time is winning the Oscar for Art Direction even if it loses BAFTA. It’s won the vast majority of the awards in this category and no other nominee has enough passion to pull themselves over. Plus, Barbara Ling is a legend finally getting her due. I think Once Upon a Time is pretty safe. Also consider that last year’s winner in this category was snubbed by BAFTA.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Once Upon a Time is winning the Oscar for Art Direction even if it loses BAFTA. It’s won the vast majority of the awards in this category and no other nominee has enough passion to pull themselves over. Plus, Barbara Ling is a legend finally getting her due. I think Once Upon a Time is pretty safe. Also consider that last year’s winner in this category was snubbed by BAFTA.

It probably will. All I was saying is that there is potential for an upset if it loses BAFTA. Most likely if Parasite wins anything outside of Foreign Film, it will be Picture, Screenplay, and/or Editing. But Once should win Supporting Actor and Production Design regardless of Parasite’s success.

For Your Consideration

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

lol Once is a lock now because it won CC? lol Below the line nominations don’t have names attached so no one is going to know who Barabra Lee is.

Gabriel Guarin
    Participant
    Topics:

lol Once is a lock now because it won CC? lol Below the line nominations don’t have names attached so no one is going to know who Barabra Lee is.

It’s winning for the same reason La La Land won.

On the Moors
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Driver should win the Oscar over Phoenix.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

First of all, CC has an 8/10 accuracy rating in this category, so they’re the most accurate precursor, tied with ADG (even though ADG has an unfair advantage with 3 categories). Second, this is one of those categories where the frontrunner tends to sweep all the way to the Oscars. There aren’t many upsets in this category. The only 2 in the last decade were Alice in Wonderland beating Inception and Lincoln beating Anna Karenina. Third, it’s a movie where they meticulously recreated Hollywood form the 1960’s. That’s catnip for anyone not from BAFTA. Once in Production Design is one of the few locks we have below-the-line right now.

For Your Consideration

phenix714
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story is just too highbrow for the Academy, I guess. It’s like The Lighthouse, The Tree of Life, Phantom Thread. They can give those movies some recognition, but they never fully commit.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

It lost Globe despite leading noms and CC.

Winning the Globe doesn’t make a contender a lock, and winning Critics Choice just means that the script won the Globe.

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Once in Production Design is one of the few locks we have below-the-line right now.

I am concerned about a lack of passion for the film overall. I heard for months about how it was destined to win ensemble, but Parasite won SAG, The Irishman won Critics’ Choice and Knives Out won NBR, OFCS and the Satellite. Will it even win the BAFTA for Best Casting with their jury for that category of like ten people? I could see there being a groundswell for the sets of 1917, seeing as it seems like people actually like that movie.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I am concerned about a lack of passion for the film overall. I heard for months about how it was destined to win ensemble, but Parasite won SAG, The Irishman won Critics’ Choice and Knives Out won NBR, OFCS and the Satellite. Will it even win the BAFTA for Best Casting with their jury for that category of like ten people? I could see there being a groundswell for the sets of 1917, seeing as it seems like people actually like that movie.

Just because the passion is dying for this film doesn’t mean it can’t still win at least a couple of awards. It’s still a hard lock for Supporting Actor, remember? If both ADG and BAFTA snub it for 1917 then I’ll change this prediction, but right I find at least the chances of ADG snubbing it very unlikely. And, like I said before, Critic’s Chkice is eerily accurate in this category.

For Your Consideration

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be a shame if Thomas Newman doesnt win Best Score for 1917.

His score elevates tension in scenes to next level.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.