Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 527 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Gabriel Guarin
John Berchmans
Federico_Ruba..
  • Profile picture
    Hinrich689
    Topics:

I’ll save you the trouble of reading: two of them voted Parasite, one voted Once, none of them voted 1917. And you guys still think 1917 has the advantage on the preferential ballot.

I think you missed this one and the Hollywood Reporter one where 1917 was #2.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/an-anonymous-oscar-voter-reveals-1917-and-joker-will-win-big-diversity-problems-overblown

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think you missed this one and the Hollywood Reporter one where 1917 was #2. https://www.thedailybeast.com/an-anonymous-oscar-voter-reveals-1917-and-joker-will-win-big-diversity-problems-overblown

Yeah, but I doubt these people are the majority. I mean “Only American films should win at the Oscars.” What kind of logic is that?

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

The mentality of some people is pathetic.

I don’t care, I’ll stay with Parasite until the end.

Profile picture
    Alexa Aristizabal
    Topics:

I need some clarification on Original Song. I’m currently predicting (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again, but I’m not entirely convinced that it will win, seeing that Rocketman was totally ignored in all other categories. That said, I do realize there are no strong alternatives, although I do wonder if there’s enough passion behind Cynthia Erivo that would lead to Stand Up winning, seeing as that victory would make Erivo an EGOT winner. But I digress. Could someone please convince me why (or why not) (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again has this bag?

It’s a tough one. When Moana was nominated, Lin-Manuel Miranda had the EGOT narrative running, and I was rooting hard for him to win, because I thought the La La Land one was monotonous and not all that remarkable. So I don’t think EGOT matters that much to the voters. However, La La Land was a BP nominee, while this year, I don’t feel like there are too many strong contenders in the category. If either (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again or Stand Up win, it would be the only Oscar for those movies. Rocketman is Paramount’s only nominated movie, so all their focus is on advertising it in this category, and, as Elton reminded people, Bernie hasn’t won an Oscar yet (Elton shared it with Tim Rice for The Lion King). But I can see the #OscarsSoWhite backlash giving Erivo a push here, because it’s one of the very few nominations for a black person. Even “Into the Unknown” could be the Sorry-we-didn’t-nominate-you-for-Animated award for Frozen II, despite not being the massive hit that “Let it Go” was, in particular because the song ties in with the story, so it’s not an end credits song like most of these are/feel.

However, Stand Up reminds me a lot of Glory, which was yet another nomination for a movie that had been mostly neglected at the Oscars that year (Selma). Remember, that’s when #OscarsSoWhite started. So I can see the Academy making an effort to repair this year’s damage, by giving awards to POC where they have the chance.

Yeah, I’d predict Stand Up too. Not overly confident, as it hasn’t won any major awards. Plus, Erivo is British and made some anti-black comments that pissed off a lot of people. But, then again, Viggo Mortensen casually dropped the N-word and Peter Farrelly would flash his genitalia in front of women for fun, and their movie still won. Stand Up is a powerful song though about one of the most inspiring people that ever lived, especially when it comes to the US history.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:
    JanisEye
    Topics:

The mentality of some people is pathetic. I don’t care, I’ll stay with Parasite until the end.

Don’t worry. The Entertainment Weekly ballots are coming out as well and according to their podcast  6 voters out of 8 went for Parasite as their first choice.

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Film Editing?

Animated Feature?

Costume Design?

Best Visual Effects?

Those are still up in the air

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

BAFTAs were correct reflection of what will happen at Oscars especially in major categories.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Nikhil
    Topics:

Film Editing?

Animated Feature?

Costume Design?

Best Visual Effects?

Those are still up in the air

I think VFX is one of the hardest categories this year. 1917 just doesn’t feel like a winner and the Irishman has its critics. At the same time, it’s unwise to bet against BP nominees except Ex Machina also happened over three other BP contenders so …

Top 3 Films of the Year: Parasite, The Farewell, OUATIH

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I could see Stand Up winning if people cared about Harriet, but there just seems to be so little passion. Both of it’s nominations were in wide open categories, and both were clear Oscar bait. Stand Up’s a fine song, but it really didn’t stick with me, not like how Glory did.

Profile picture
    CarlosAlessio10
    Topics:

I’m going to make a last minute change.

Scarlett Johansson in
    Laura Dern out

I felt it, this is my last change.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I’m going to make a last minute change. Scarlett Johansson in Laura Dern out I felt it, this is my last change.

I’m seriously contemplating following suit.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

I’m going to make a last minute change.

Scarlett Johansson in
    Laura Dern out

I felt it, this is my last change.

Sadly it won’t happen but good luck.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Don’t worry. The Entertainment Weekly ballots are coming out as well and according to their podcast 6 voters out of 8 went for Parasite as their first choice.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Hardest Categories to Predict

Original Song

Visual Effects

Production Design

Editing

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.