Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 527 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
Gabriel Guarin
John Berchmans
Federico_Ruba..
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I wish I could believe in Parasite for Best Picture… but the Academy is like a baby distracted by shiny car keys, and 1917 is the shiniest car key of them all. For the crowd that don’t watch movies with subtitles*, 1917’s technical wizardry and lack of any real challenging content or confronting political message will be comfort food.

That having been said, if Parasite wins, it will win in a similar way to 12 Years A Slave, in which it won’t be low on many ballots and will have a big support base of #1 votes from dedicated supporters.

* Which is disturbingly large

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I’m just stuck on PD. I watched a video on Parasite’s PD and I want to be hopeful but I don’t know whether it would be able to beat 1917 and Once. Also, that would be me having it win for 5 awards, everything but director.

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Wasn’t “The Last Emperor 1987” first ever foreign language film to win Best Picture?

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Tooner
    Topics:

Can Parasite beat For v Ferrari in film editing? Might have to change my predictions if so

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Film editing is driving me crazy.

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Film editing is driving me crazy.

It will go to joke or cars.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Editing is still hard for me lol. I’m pretty sure the last time a film won Editing without a Sound nom was The Departed but I really think Parasite can win there ugh idk.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’m voting for Ford v Ferrari. The odds are very statistically stacked against Parasite, and Ford v Ferrari is the type of film they love to reward here: flashy, action packed and the most editing. Plus I don’t see Parasite winning more than 3 awards, and I already have it in Picture, Original Screenplay, and Foreign Film.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Alexa Aristizabal
    Topics:

I think it’s not considered a Foreign language movie, because English is the main language spoken? Unless I completely misremember it.

Wasn’t “The Last Emperor 1987” first ever foreign language film to win Best Picture?

Well, Baby Driver fit that description to a t, and it lost to a war movie (Dunkirk). But Editing is a tough one, especially how last year’s award was so WTF and so undeserving. I’m still appalled Bohemian Rhapsody won. However, the earlier poster was right that you’d have to go to 2007 for The Departed, to find the last movie that won Editing without having any sound nominations. These three could very well go to FvF (Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Editing). But then again, Parasite’s pace and overall feel reminded me of a Fincher movie, and David Fincher’s movies usually win for editing.

I’m voting for Ford v Ferrari. The odds are very statistically stacked against Parasite, and Ford v Ferrari is the type of film they love to reward here: flashy, action packed and the most editing. Plus I don’t see Parasite winning more than 3 awards, and I already have it in Picture, Original Screenplay, and Foreign Film.

Profile picture
    unspoken
    Topics:

I wish I could believe in Parasite for Best Picture… but the Academy is like a baby distracted by shiny car keys, and 1917 is the shiniest car key of them all. For the crowd that don’t watch movies with subtitles*, 1917’s technical wizardry and lack of any real challenging content or confronting political message will be comfort food. That having been said, if Parasite wins, it will win in a similar way to 12 Years A Slave, in which it won’t be low on many ballots and will have a big support base of #1 votes from dedicated supporters. * Which is disturbingly large

I want to believe in Parasite too, and there’s one thing that I keep running through my head even though there’s several differences between the years, guild support being the major one.  I keep thinking back to the year for 2009 films, the first year there were more than 5 Best Picture nominees, and you had the “visually stunning but some criticisms of its storytelling” Avatar vs. “the little indie that could” The Hurt Locker.  They didn’t go for the visually-stunning-but-lacking-elsewhere then.  This year is a little different because of the split in the guilds this year vs. the dominance of Hurt Locker back then, and also they’d be picking against the war movie this year vs. for it that year, but it just keeps crossing my mind as to a reason that Parasite could go over the top.

Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

Editing is still hard for me lol. I’m pretty sure the last time a film won Editing without a Sound nom was The Departed but I really think Parasite can win there ugh idk.

Parasite won the Ace Eddy award for editing-Drama. I’m putting my bets on it to take the Oscar in that category.

Profile picture
    bongjoonho
    Topics:

Going with Parasite for BP, Original Screenplay, International Film, Film Editing.

Went with OUATIH for Production Design, and Mendes for Director.

Most torn about: Animated Film, Visual Effects, Film Editing. Who votes on these 3 categories?

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by bongjoonho.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by bongjoonho.
    Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

Nope it’s substantially enough in English to not qualify as a foreign language film.

Profile picture
    ARegularGuy
    Topics:

Most torn about: Animated Film, Visual Effects, Film Editing. Who votes on these 3 categories?

In theory, every voter can vote on those categories. As to how many actually do is anyone’s guess but for predictions sake I usually assume most vote in every category.

Profile picture
    Singsongoflove01
    Topics:

Going with Parasite for BP, Original Screenplay, International Film, Film Editing. Went with OUATIH for Production Design, and Mendes for Director. Most torn about: Animated Film, Visual Effects, Film Editing. Who votes on these 3 categories?

Animated is between Klaus and Toy Story 4, VFX is either 1917 or Avengers Endgame.

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.