Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 445 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Salsa Club
  • Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

If queen and slim does well (box office wise), It will be in the oscar race. My only worry is that universal has other irons in the fire (Cough 1917 Cough).

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m struggling to see where Joker could be nominated besides Actor and Picture. Phillips ain’t happening in director and the screenplay is the most criticized aspect so that probably won’t happen. Maybe cinematography or like a random sound mixing nomination too?

#FreeTheBannedFour

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

https://members.sagfoundation.org/programs/11594

There’s a Bombshell screening happening today, hopefully we get good reactions.

wattsgold
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m struggling to see where Joker could be nominated besides Actor and Picture. Phillips ain’t happening in director and the screenplay is the most criticized aspect so that probably won’t happen. Maybe cinematography or like a random sound mixing nomination too?

I hope Score.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

I was laughing at your hating it.

oh ok lol

I absolutely despised it. It’s basically High Life but without the emotional impact. Way too cold and uninteresting. The first scene was the only remotely gripping thing about this film. The cinematography was absolutely astonishing though and Brad Pitt was uncharacteristically subtle and nuanced.

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m considering making Bombshell be the 10th spot on my prediction top 10. The cast, subject matter, and to a lesser extent director all seem reasonable as contenders.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Parasite

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still not convinced on Joker making it in Best Picture, we already knew it would do well at the box office.

I am not convinced either, I feel like Black Panther nomination last year has people hyping up superhero movies more than ever before when in reality there are plenty of Academy voters, young and old, who don’t care for these type of stories. Plus the film is very nihilistic and has overall just ok reviews.

It could still be nominated, I have it ranked around 11 or 12, but I think a lot of that may depend on the buzz upcoming films attract. Apparently Queen & Slim and Bombshell are getting positive reception, they both feel more like Best Picture nominees the Academy would embrace over Joker.

As of now: Marriage Story, The Irishman, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Farewell, JoJo Rabbit all feel like more realistic nominees. I also think Little Women, Bombshell, 1917, Queen & Slim, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Ford v Ferrari rank higher for me in likelihood. But I easily have Joker higher than films like The Two Popes, Waves, Endgame and think if films like Little Women bomb with the critics or voters forget about The Farewell then the Joker could sneak in.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  MMartin.
    Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

Margot is coming. Love to see it

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Seven.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Seven.
    Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Yay for Bombshell, but y’all don’t forget about Queen & Slim!

Hector Raskolnikov
    Participant
    Topics:

If it was a few years ago, maybe Joker wouldn’t be nominated.

But today we know of the Academy’s necessity to include popular movies in the race. And Joker is already a cultural phenomenon (it can even hit 1 billion, for God’s sake), whether you like it or not.

And it’s important to remember that a movie doesn’t have to be unanimous to be nominated for best picture. It just needs a relevant number of passionate supporters, people who really loved it. And we know that a lot of people really loved Joker. Saying that this received “ok reviews” is not so true at all. Bohemian Raphsody received “ok reviews”. Joker, though polarizing, has received a lot of great reviews (received more 10/10 reviews than Black Panther, for example). And it seems that was really well-received by people in industry (Sean Baker, Michael Moore, Chris Rock and Josh Brolin are examples of people who expressed admiration for this movie).

Check out these predictions from Scott Feinberg, who is one of the best-sourced journalists in the industry:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/feinberg-forecast-2020-oscar-predictions-1244706/item/best-picture-1244695?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Joker has no chance of winning (in this case, being too divisise is a serious problem), but is almost guarantee to be nominated.

Hector Raskolnikov
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, and knowing the HFPA, I don’t doubt that Joker win Best Picture Drama in the Golden Globes.

I think that will be multiple BAFTA nominations for it as well, as the reception outside of America was really great.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Original Score, and Makeup. Screenplay’s also pretty weak this year, so Joker could still easily make it in.

For Your Consideration

Best Picture: Parasite
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho,
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson
    Supporting Actor: Al Pacino
    Supporting Actress: Florence Pugh
    Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit
    Original Screenplay: Parasite

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

joker’s not gonna show up in makeup, painting on a face of clown white is like the easiest makeup job imaginable

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

Check out these predictions from Scott Feinberg, who is one of the best-sourced journalists in the industry:

At first glance I thought those Best Picture nominations were weird because The Two Popes and Judy seem very unlikely. Then I realized he had a wait and see section where he put 1917, Little Women, Knives Out, and Queen & Slim.

Has anyone here had a chance to see Knives Out and do you think it will have any Oscar play? The trailers make me think of a Edgar Wright comedy like Baby Driver or Hot Fuzz, it is going to get great reviews higher than a lot of the Best Picture nominees and do solid at the box office, but is not going to have appeal to Oscar voters. Maybe the A-list cast and November release date can change that.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

At first glance I thought those Best Picture nominations were weird because The Two Popes and Judy seem very unlikely. Then I realized he had a wait and see section where he put 1917, Little Women, Knives Out, and Queen & Slim. Has anyone here had a chance to see Knives Out and do you think it will have any Oscar play? The trailers make me think of a Edgar Wright comedy like Baby Driver or Hot Fuzz, it is going to get great reviews higher than a lot of the Best Picture nominees and do solid at the box office, but is not going to have appeal to Oscar voters. Maybe the A-list cast and November release date can change that.

I recall seeing the other day that the studio is only planning to push Bombshell, so that’s gonna hurt Knives Out. Which is a shame, cause it looks phenomenal.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 445 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.