Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 466 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +36 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Salsa Club
  • Hector Raskolnikov
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, and knowing the HFPA, I don’t doubt that Joker win Best Picture Drama in the Golden Globes.

I think that will be multiple BAFTA nominations for it as well, as the reception outside of America was really great.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m struggling to see where Joker could be nominated besides Actor and Picture. Phillips ain’t happening in director and the screenplay is the most criticized aspect so that probably won’t happen. Maybe cinematography or like a random sound mixing nomination too?

I’m predicting Cinematography, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Original Score, and Makeup. Screenplay’s also pretty weak this year, so Joker could still easily make it in.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

joker’s not gonna show up in makeup, painting on a face of clown white is like the easiest makeup job imaginable

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

Check out these predictions from Scott Feinberg, who is one of the best-sourced journalists in the industry:

At first glance I thought those Best Picture nominations were weird because The Two Popes and Judy seem very unlikely. Then I realized he had a wait and see section where he put 1917, Little Women, Knives Out, and Queen & Slim.

Has anyone here had a chance to see Knives Out and do you think it will have any Oscar play? The trailers make me think of a Edgar Wright comedy like Baby Driver or Hot Fuzz, it is going to get great reviews higher than a lot of the Best Picture nominees and do solid at the box office, but is not going to have appeal to Oscar voters. Maybe the A-list cast and November release date can change that.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

At first glance I thought those Best Picture nominations were weird because The Two Popes and Judy seem very unlikely. Then I realized he had a wait and see section where he put 1917, Little Women, Knives Out, and Queen & Slim. Has anyone here had a chance to see Knives Out and do you think it will have any Oscar play? The trailers make me think of a Edgar Wright comedy like Baby Driver or Hot Fuzz, it is going to get great reviews higher than a lot of the Best Picture nominees and do solid at the box office, but is not going to have appeal to Oscar voters. Maybe the A-list cast and November release date can change that.

I recall seeing the other day that the studio is only planning to push Bombshell, so that’s gonna hurt Knives Out. Which is a shame, cause it looks phenomenal.

BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

Has anyone here had a chance to see Knives Out and do you think it will have any Oscar play? The trailers make me think of a Edgar Wright comedy like Baby Driver or Hot Fuzz, it is going to get great reviews higher than a lot of the Best Picture nominees and do solid at the box office, but is not going to have appeal to Oscar voters. Maybe the A-list cast and November release date can change that.

it’s a great mid-budget genre piece but those don’t really show up anymore, it does have great mass appeal so a successful box office run can probably prompt it to a screenplay and maybe production design nod

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh, and knowing the HFPA, I don’t doubt that Joker win Best Picture Drama in the Golden Globes. I think that will be multiple BAFTA nominations for it as well, as the reception outside of America was really great.

Does HFPA go for the combination of mainstream blockbusters AND dark? They usually go for big ensemble crowdpleasers, not bleak character pieces. They never pick the film with the most controversial subject matter generally.

I guess this will be an interesting test of precedent. I agree it is likely to be nominated*, but a win would be pretty shocking.

*because Parasite is foreign language, but also because if Little Women flops it gains that slot.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Joker winning Drama Picture at the Globes at all.

Also most of the critiques for the film are for it’s Screenplay so I doubt it will get in.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not convinced either, I feel like Black Panther nomination last year has people hyping up superhero movies more than ever before when in reality there are plenty of Academy voters, young and old, who don’t care for these type of stories. Plus the film is very nihilistic and has overall just ok reviews.

Black Panther got in because it had a strong narrative (cultural impact), Joker doesn’t have that.

Marcel
    Participant
    Topics:

Black Panther got in because it had a strong narrative (cultural impact), Joker doesn’t have that.

Joker has the same BoRap had, which is box office success.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker has the same BoRap had, which is box office success.

I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody got there cause of its box office. It was because of the overwhelming love for Queen and Freddie Mercury. The box office helped, but it wasn’t why that film got all those (undeserved) nominations and wins.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Bohemian Rhapsody got there cause of its box office. It was because of the overwhelming love for Queen and Freddie Mercury. The box office helped, but it wasn’t why that film got all those (undeserved) nominations and wins.

Exactly. I said this before but I got ignored lol.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I knew Bombshell was gonna be praised! Margot and Charlize are coming for the Oscar nods!

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

The thing about using the box office argument for Joker is that there was a certain other superhero film this year that broke box office records, but that isn’t getting into the race and 90% of people have accepted that. Box office alone doesn’t net Oscars buzz. It won’t be box office love that will drive Joker’s run. Admiration for Joaquin Phoenix’s performance is going to be the main driving force for Joker’s Oscars run.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

Glad to see the reception for bombshell. I expect to see it in picture now, and it would be nice to see these three excellent actresses crash the relatively open actress races.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  fvg627.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  fvg627.
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 466 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.