Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 466 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +36 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Salsa Club
  • OhJulian
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how Laura’s oscar chances are increasing day by day. We love the best BLL female performer.

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

Judy finally came to my town this weekend, and I have to say: why didn’t Rene try to gather a better crew for this? her performance was next level great, but she is the only good thing about that movie. Boring directing, mediocre script, not particularly imaginative period set or costumes, no supporting performances, etc.  Without spoilers, that ending left a lot of content to the imagination. Rene could have been the easy winner if the movie was better, but as it stands, I will still predict Scarlett.

Just for some thought: Cinemascore. Suicide Squad B+. Batman V Superman B. It Chapter 2 B+. Bohemian Rhapsody A. Ad Astra B-. Rambo Last Blood B. Avengers Endgame A+. Midsommar C+. Hereditary D+. The Blind Side A+. justice League B+

B+ is not a good Cinemascore.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

As Greg pointed out B+ is an excellent grade for an R rated film.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

Just for some thought: Cinemascore. Suicide Squad B+. Batman V Superman B. It Chapter 2 B+. Bohemian Rhapsody A. Ad Astra B-. Rambo Last Blood B. Avengers Endgame A+. Midsommar C+. Hereditary D+. The Blind Side A+. justice League B+

B+ is not a good Cinemascore.

I think Cinemascore is more about viewers’ experience at the cinema. For example, some mediocre films score a higher-than-deserving Cinema scores because viewers may have a fun time watching them at the cinema, a.k.a. a crowd pleaser. Not to mention, some films are a whole better experience watching at the wide screen and quality sound. Whereas Joker doesn’t seem like a great pleasure watching it at the cinema. I can imagine some viewers feeling dreadful and traumatized after two hours of seeing a man being tortured and unfairly treated. Ad Astra is also a sad slow story, but objectively it can’t be worse than The Blind Side judging the Cinemascore.

Even though I do agree Joker has a ton of problems outside of its acting and technical aspects, I think Cinemascore IS NOT a good indicator regarding the ACTUAL QUALITY of a film.

Dana S.
    Participant
    Topics:

People now try to use Cinemascore to predict Oscar?

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how Laura’s oscar chances are increasing day by day. We love the best BLL female performer.

Her name is already engraved on the damn statuette

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

My friend is an editor and went to a press screening last night for Marriage Story. Interesting he didn’t even mention Scarjo. –

This makes me think they’ll go comedy. They would definitely have a better chance at wins at the Globes that way, but winning in drama would produce bigger returns throughout the season.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

bellajoe
    Participant
    Topics:

People now try to use Cinemascore to predict Oscar?

People are using Cinemascore to gauge rough audience perception which is extremely important in cases of controversial picks. Let’s say Jojo Rabbit gets a D Cinemascore, that means audiences don’t want it, its critic scores show critics don’t want it, thus it will not be nominated.

The conversation right now is Joker, which lacks the critical praise to get in on that alone. Many times in the past, movies with mixed (albeit often not as mixed as Joker, but mixed nonetheless) reviews have overcome that due to impressive box office, intense fan-support, cultural impact or some other alternative factor. Joker could fit into that category, but a B+ doesn’t do that. A B+ shows this film is indeed divisive critically as well as commercially.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

This makes me think they’ll go comedy. They would definitely have a better chance at wins at the Globes that way, but winning in drama would produce bigger returns throughout the season.

Only problem is ScarJo isn’t winning either way lmao

ARegularGuy
    Participant
    Topics:

People are using Cinemascore to gauge rough audience perception which is extremely important in cases of controversial picks. Let’s say Jojo Rabbit gets a D Cinemascore, that means audiences don’t want it, its critic scores show critics don’t want it, thus it will not be nominated.

The conversation right now is Joker, which lacks the critical praise to get in on that alone. Many times in the past, movies with mixed (albeit often not as mixed as Joker, but mixed nonetheless) reviews have overcome that due to impressive box office, intense fan-support, cultural impact or some other alternative factor. Joker could fit into that category, but a B+ doesn’t do that. A B+ shows this film is indeed divisive critically as well as commercially.

I mean, we gotta wait and see about its box office performance. Right now it is doing huge numbers, and honestly the Academy seems much more accepting of commercial films (given last year’s noms) than it used to be. If Joker is a smash hit at the box office it might sneak into Best Picture.

And there’s no doubt Joaquin gets a nomination. The question with Joker is not if, but how many nominations it will end up getting.

Megan
    Participant
    Topics:

My friend is an editor and went to a press screening last night for Marriage Story. Interesting he didn’t even mention Scarjo. –

Let’s be real. You clearly made it up lmao.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Megan.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Megan.

I serve the tea (politely)

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol, Remember I been saying Johansson might miss it, there are way too many blonds, all of them can’t get in. Saoirse Academy darling, Zellweger Acedemy winner with a widespread critical acclaimed performance to put her back on the tracks, Charlize Theron Academy winner with a transformative role and who happens to be much more respected than a certain blond, then we have Scarlett Johansson! Do the logics. @DrewN92 your friend is NOT the only one dismissing Scarjo’s Oscars chances, there are a lot of people in this industry who don’t feel like it’s her time to get nominated. Let’s just wait and see!

Being blonde won’t stop her from being nominated. Why is it so many people are completely dismissing the chances of some of this year’s best actress contenders? There’s barely any contenders.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story is a Comedy-Drama.

It will be in Comedy-Musical section at Globes next year.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Joyce Byers
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not really informed about it but… how is a divorce considered a comedy? I’m really intrigued by that!

TheBowie
    Participant
    Topics:

HAHAHAHA some of the folks that say Joker is bad are the same who say Hustlers is a masterpiece. Joker is AMAZING. Best movie of the year (a tie with OUATIH) and Joaquin Phoenix should tie with DiCaprio for Best Actor. The two of them and Rami Malek in Bohemian Rhapsody are the three best lead male performances this century. Eat it.

I love being a literate person.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 466 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.