Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 498 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

second time watching parasite, there were some fresh takes I probably shouldn’t just dump out here, still wholeheartedly support it to get nominated across the board

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

Streep will not get nominated this year.

I think that seems obvious, The Laundromat got bad reviews and to much competition from better performances in bigger movies. And as far as Little Women goes, Aunt March is definitely not a standout supporting role compared to other characters in that film.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

Even with my doubts over Little Women, assuming that’s happening there will still be performances that will be easier to push than Meryl. Saoirse Ronan benefits from a relatively weak Best Actress pool and ongoing goodwill, Florence Pugh has the rising newcomer narrative propelled by Midsommar, and Timothée Chalamet has the advantage of an overactive and extremely horny film twitter fanbase.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys forgot that Meryl Streep got nominated for her absolutely nothing performance in Into the Woods. She doesn’t need to do anything in Little Women. She just needs to be there and she’ll still be nominated.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys forgot that Meryl Streep got nominated for her absolutely nothing performance in Into the Woods. She doesn’t need to do anything in Little Women. She just needs to be there and she’ll still be nominated.

Into the Woods was a pretty big role and it was very show, it actually showed Meryl Streep singing good, which was a pleasant surprise after her horrendous tone deaf singing in Mamma Mia.

Jennifer Lopez, Laura Dern, Florence Plugh, Shuzhen Zhou, Margot Robbie, Annette Bening, Scarlett Johansson, Nicole Kidman, and Penelope Cruz all seem like more likely possibilities than Meryl Streep this year. Maybe even Thomasin McKenzie if the Academy really loves JoJo Rabbit.

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, if the Oscar have told us something in all these years is to never discount Meryl Streep.

I was your Prime Minister once.

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s certainly in the running for Razzie this year. Razzie voters are far savvier than generally thought.

I adore Meryl and she needs one of these to fill that empty spot on her overloaded shelf. Fingers crossed she shows up to accept.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker just crossed $700 Million worldwide. It’s already passed Bohemian Rhapsody domestically, and will pass it worldwide in the next few weeks. Now to sit back and see this forum desperately argue why it won’t be nominated for Best Picture.

For Your Consideration.

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale

Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey everyone, I need your help: which Margot Robbie should I predict for Supporting Actress? OUATIH Robbie, or Bombshell Robbie?

(I haven’t seen OUATIH so I don’t know the gravity of her performance playing Sharon Tate, but I hear it’s quite a minimal role. On the other hand, though, she’s playing a real actress which the Academy has a liking for rewarding. In Bombshell, she plays a fictional character when the focus of the film should be on the real characters, so even if she gives a stellar performance, that may hamper her awards chances….)

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey everyone, I need your help: which Margot Robbie should I predict for Supporting Actress? OUATIH Robbie, or Bombshell Robbie?

(I haven’t seen OUATIH so I don’t know the gravity of her performance playing Sharon Tate, but I hear it’s quite a minimal role. On the other hand, though, she’s playing a real actress which the Academy has a liking for rewarding. In Bombshell, she plays a fictional character when the focus of the film should be on the real characters, so even if she gives a stellar performance, that may hamper her awards chances….)

Sounds like her performance in Bombshell is way more acclaimed, and films with later release dates usually do better in the acting categories. Plus OUATIH could underperform in nominations. I’m preidcting her for Bombshell right now, unless that film misses out on Picture.

For Your Consideration.

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

For those lucky people who have seen Marriage Story already.

Do you think it can go Comedy at Globes and probably also qualify as Comedy more than Drama.

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved her in OUATIH. But her role is minimal. But in those few moments she was on the screen, her very nature permeates.
    Bombshell sounds like a more noticeable role. That’s the one I’d go with.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Nikhil
    Participant
    Topics:

For those lucky people who have seen Marriage Story already.

Do you think it can go Comedy at Globes and probably also qualify as Comedy more than Drama.

There is comedy peppered throughout the script, and it mirrors real life in that it finds humor in the mundane. Everything in the movie feels very realistic. That said, if the movie did place itself in comedy it would be egregious fraud (worse than what we’ve seen in the past). I wish I could say for certain that I know they wouldn’t fraud it into comedy, but it’s clear the studios do whatever they think is best for the campaign.

My personal Top 10 of 2019 so far:
    1) Parasite 2) The Farewell 3) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4) Joker 5) Jojo Rabbit 6) The Peanut Butter Falcon 7) Marriage Story 8) Luce 9) Yesterday 10) Hotel Mumbai

moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what Gary Oldman is trying to do in “The Laundromat.” Actually, I just have no clue what “The Laundromat” is trying to be as a movie. This was a mess.

Eric Darling
    Participant
    Topics:

For those lucky people who have seen Marriage Story already. Do you think it can go Comedy at Globes and probably also qualify as Comedy more than Drama.

Definitely a drama, comedy would be fraud of the highest order. BTW, it’s my favorite film of the year so far.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what Gary Oldman is trying to do in “The Laundromat.”

Easy, Gary Oldman is just doing Goldmember

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Eric Darling.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Eric Darling.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.