Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 498 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I have truly enjoyed The Laundromat. I hope it especially shows up at Adapted Screenplay. Funny and informative. Also, loved the twist with Streep.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Hey everyone, I need your help: which Margot Robbie should I predict for Supporting Actress? OUATIH Robbie, or Bombshell Robbie?

(I haven’t seen OUATIH so I don’t know the gravity of her performance playing Sharon Tate, but I hear it’s quite a minimal role. On the other hand, though, she’s playing a real actress which the Academy has a liking for rewarding. In Bombshell, she plays a fictional character when the focus of the film should be on the real characters, so even if she gives a stellar performance, that may hamper her awards chances….)

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

imo she will be nominated for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and that’s where I am predicting her. She’s the heart and soul of the movie. All of my favorite scenes in the movie are hers, especially the scenes where she is watching herself in the movie “The Wrecking Crew” (:

They used to have a rule years ago where actors had to choose between two (or three) films and decide which one they would place for consideration. I remember this affected co-stars Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger in Shadowlands: Hopkins opted for The Remains of the Day and Winger chose Shadowlands instead of A Dangerous Woman. They were both nominated. IDK if that rule still exists or would it be possible for Robbie to get TWO nominations for Supporting Actress?

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have truly enjoyed The Laundromat. I hope it especially shows up at Adapted Screenplay. Funny and informative. Also, loved the twist with Streep.

With all the negativity about this movie I am truly curious and need to see it for myself and make up my own mind. It sounds really appealing to me, not unlike Dark Waters actually, but boy the reviews don’t seem to be reviewing the movie but are reading more as political opinion pieces! I want to definitely see The Lighthouse tomorrow but perhaps I will try to find a bargain matinee so I can see for myself whether The Laundromat is as terrible as many seem to think or if the few who admire it are in alignment with my own personal opinion… (I just saw Red Joan, which got bad reviews, but was actually a terrific movie).

Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

A person I know on Reditt has seen Ford vs Ferrari on a festival and he says that “it’s a good and okay movie at best and this movie misses the punch it should have.

Best part of movie is obviously Damon-Bale bromance and their performances but there’s nothing Oscary about them”

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike Lee-Tarantino
    19yr old Film School Student

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

A person I know on Reditt has seen Ford vs Ferrari on a festival and he says that “it’s a good and okay movie at best and this movie misses the punch it should have. Best part of movie is obviously Damon-Bale bromance and their performances but there’s nothing Oscary about them”

That seems to be the buzz. In all honesty, I’m getting big “Oscar likelihood peaked before it premiered” vibes from this. If it becomes a box office smash I will let it into my Best Picture slots, but I think technical is where it stops. A lot of people say this is the sort of movie that appeals to older Academy voters, but this race has The Irishman which is even more appealing and is going to get all the attention from that crowd.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

MrGoodWood
    Participant
    Topics:

The Laundromat isn’t that bad. People were really excited to take a dump on Meryl before even seeing the movie.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought the laundromat was a huge fucking mess and Meryl and Oldman deserve razzie noms.

Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

They used to have a rule years ago where actors had to choose between two (or three) films and decide which one they would place for consideration. I remember this affected co-stars Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger in Shadowlands: Hopkins opted for The Remains of the Day and Winger chose Shadowlands instead of A Dangerous Woman. They were both nominated. IDK if that rule still exists or would it be possible for Robbie to get TWO nominations for Supporting Actress?

You can’t get more than one nomination in a single acting category, that’s always been the rule since very early in the Academy’s history. I think in some of the earliest ceremonies there were a couple of cases of actors with two nods in the same category, and in the inaugural ceremony actors were nominated for their whole year’s body of work, but they changed the rules soon after. Actors with multiple performances in contention can prioritise a specific one to campaign for, along with help from the studio, but there’s no Academy rule that states they have to decide which performance to contend for; all performances are eligible for nominations as long as the film itself meets eligibility requirements. I’m not aware that such a rule ever existed but if I’m wrong maybe someone can fill me in. If an actor places in the top five in a single category, the performance with fewer votes is replaced by the 6th place finisher.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Eddy Q.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Eddy Q.
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Streep deserves a nod in Supporting Actress for “The Laundromat”. Such a classy, nuanced and compelling performance. The movie was a mess, but she still delivered. Check her name in your predictions, dear citizens.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I saw Jojo Rabbit and while that metascore made me really apprehensive I actually ended up loving it. I can totally see why it won the audience award at Tiff, and it just goes to show you can’t trust critics. That metacritic score is seriously baffling. I mean, the movie isn’t a masterpiece but it at least deserves to be in the 70s. The humor was hit or miss but besides that it was great. Roman Griffin Davis should be in best actor which won’t happen but I fully expect him to clean up with the young artist awards. I’d love to see Scarjo get a supporting actress nom. But it seems like they’re pushing McKenzie more, who was very good as well. I liked Johansson more though even if she had a little bit less to do than McKenzie.

LLLhawks
    Participant
    Topics:

Laundromat was messy and boring. Really felt like a derivative of Vice.

I just love movies. And awards.

Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually thought JoJo Rabbit was an absolute masterpiece.  Best Picture, bitches.  It’s funny, tragic, smart, relevant, artsy and yet unpretentious, and it’s a serious crowd pleaser.  The critics dropped the ball on this one.

Roman should absolutely be nominated for Best Actor.  Crazy great performance.

Bird
    Participant
    Topics:

Finally saw Rocketman. Definitely being slept on. Costumes could and should win, with other noms coming in actor, sound-mixing, make-up, and picture.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m gonna watch The Laundromat after I watch How to Get away with Murder season 2 finale.

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Keth
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Streep deserves a nod in Supporting Actress for “The Laundromat”. Such a classy, nuanced and compelling performance. The movie was a mess, but she still delivered. Check her name in your predictions, dear citizens.

The first time I watched “The Laundromat” I didn’t care for Streep’s performance at all – I didn’t really like the character and I thought she was trying to hard. But I watched the movie again last night and I actually agree with what you wrote about her performance. But wouldn’t it be lead, not supporting? Just wondering. I would have no issue with her being nominated in either category. Sometimes a movie and performance needs a second look.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.