Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 498 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • Hoster1
    Participant
    Topics:

That JLaw mother! nom was such a bullshit. And the film actually had positive reviews. Damn that F CinemaScore.

Piper Halliwell
    Participant
    Topics:

That JLaw mother! nom was such a bullshit. And the film actually had positive reviews. Damn that F CinemaScore.

Absolutely! I think it was an Oscar-worthy turn in a brave film! 🙂

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

mother! should have been nominated for best picture, director and of course best actress. I even have Bardem in my personal awards lineup.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I would honestly sacrifice all of my girl’s noms just to have seen her and mother! make it big at the Oscars that year. I blame the Globes for dropping the ball. It was definitely one of the most daring films this decade and Lawrence gave the performance of the year and of her career by far. The CinemaScore and Razzie noms will look like complete buffoonery years from now (not that they don’t already).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

I would honestly sacrifice all of my girl’s noms just to have seen her and mother! make it big at the Oscars that year. I blame the Globes for dropping the ball. It was definitely one of the most daring films this decade and Lawrence gave the performance of the year and of her career by far. The CinemaScore and Razzie noms will look like completely buffoonery years from now (not that they don’t already).

I know you love all of JLaw’s noms but seeing her in Mother! and Winter’s Bone made me never want her to work with David O. Russell ever again. She’s so effective when paired with bold and challenging direction like in Winter’s Bone and Mother! as opposed to Russell’s hammy direction style and this is why I need her to come for Red White and Water.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I know you love all of JLaw’s noms but seeing her in Mother! and Winter’s Bone made me never want her to work with David O. Russell ever again. She’s so effective when paired with bold and challenging direction like in Winter’s Bone and Mother! as opposed to Russell’s hammy direction style and this is why I need her to come for Red White and Water.

I completely agree lol. Like you said, I love all her noms, but even I could tell she started to really not care under his direction anymore and she thrives in indies. As far as I’m concerned, she can abandon having any projects again with him as long as I get more mother!s as a result. My wig is waiting to be snatched by her and Luca when she wins her second Oscar.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

I would honestly sacrifice all of my girl’s noms just to have seen her and mother! make it big at the Oscars that year. I blame the Globes for dropping the ball. It was definitely one of the most daring films this decade and Lawrence gave the performance of the year and of her career by far. The CinemaScore and Razzie noms will look like completely buffoonery years from now (not that they don’t already).

Mother will never be vindicated by history. It’s not daring. It’s just pretentious bullshit that thinks it’s meaningful, but isn’t actually saying anything even bordering on intelligent.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Just saw The Lighthouse – on the plus side are two terrific lead performances by Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe, a terrific score and marvelous sound and cinematography; on the negative side is that the characters don’t really develop in interesting ways and it gets boring after awhile, just wanted it to end mercifully after a certain amount of time. It’s effective but not really necessary. The only justification for Dafoe being in supporting is that Pattinson’s character is the catalyst/lead but this is a two-hander if there ever was one!

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

I both think that mother! is on the nose pretentious with obvious metaphors, as well as being a really good and intense film, a solid 8/10. The performances are fantastic, and that film did a great job at being tense and anxiety inducing. Not a great film, but it got a emotional response out of me and I do believe Jennifer Lawrence deserved a Best Actress nomination that year, it is her best work.

MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

Also the Razzie are dumb and dated and stopped being funny in 1995. The Razzies nominating politicians like Donald Trump for Worst Actor for documentaries is dumb, nominating Johnny Depp for a voice role in a animated film for Worst actor is dumb, nominating performance like Jennifer Lawrence in mother! for Worst Actress for what is clearly not the worst of the year is dumb. Nominating big stars just to nominate big stars for box office flops when their are much worse performances around is dumb.

The Razzie have refused to adapt for a Internet Age. Live stream the ceremony on Youtube, get a comedian to host, take it seriously and get some B and C level actors at the event and nominate the actual worst performances of the year. Screen Junkies (Honest Trailers) wanted to collaborate with the Razzies at one point and make it more modern and relevant and Wilson said no.

Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought mother was a tacky allegory, but I don’t like any Darren Aronofsky films so take that with a grain of salt.

That having been said, Jeniffer Lawrence for mother as a Razzies nomination is just goddamn embarrassing. She is good in that movie and delivers emotion that the film’s obsession with allegory and artifice cannot.

Meryl Streep’s second role in The Laundromat is actually Razzies worthy in that made me cringe, and that is something I rarely do. I understand the purpose of that second role for the ending monologue, that doesn’t mean it’s anything other than tacky and awfully acted. Her first role is OK, but not Oscar-worthy.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, I totally agree. Even if mother! was a disgusting pile of rubbish, Lawrence was terrific. Definitely better than Offensive McDormand.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

The Lighthouse came through with a $419,764 opening! It expands to 500 theaters next week so go see for yourself why Dafoe, Eggers for screenplay and cinematography deserve nominations and/or wins!

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Forbes made some points

“STX’s Hustlers absolutely belongs in the Oscar race right alongside the populist likes of Joker, Us and The Irishman along with (presumably) The Two Popes, Little Women, A Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit and Parasite.”

“Hustlers checks every box in terms of reception (reviews, box office, word-of-mouth), subject matter (political timeliness, crime melodrama, real-life inspiration) and aspirations (a female-directed film starring women of color that has broken through).”

“Its only handicap is that it won’t be automatically taken as seriously as if the same film was made starring a bunch of white guys gaming the system.

But it should”

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s no way the Razzies can resist nominating Streep and Oldman for colorface. They’re too politically correct not to.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.