Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 487 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with Stegeo. If Roma couldn’t beat Green Book of all films I don’t see how Parasite would beat much less divisive films like Marriage Story or The Irishman. I also have absolutely no faith in Neon.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Irvin Malcolm Contreras
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with Stegeo. If Roma couldn’t beat Green Book of all films I don’t see how Parasite would beat much less divisive films like Marriage Story or The Irishman. I also have absolutely no faith in Neon.

Roma is artsy. Brilliant film but I can see how some people will not connect with it. Parasite is something else though. It’s connecting with a wide swath of people who are declaring it the best of the year or one of the best of the year. It’s quite accessible….and also doesn’t have the Netflix controversy that handicapped Roma.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Roma is artsy. Brilliant film but I can see how some people will not connect with it. Parasite is something else though. It’s connecting with a wide swath of people who are declaring it the best of the year or one of the best of the year. It’s quite accessible….and also doesn’t have the Netflix controversy that handicapped Roma.

I agree with you, but also Roma was Cauron and Parasite isn’t. If a FLF was gonna win best picture a Cauron film would be the one to do it. Not sure Bong has enough cred for one of his films to go all the way. I don’t really buy the Netflix bias thing, I certainly think Netflix is more likely to win best picture than Neon. That being said, Parasite is the best movie I’ve seen since Mad Max Fury Road. I don’t want to talk myself out of the possibility of it winning best picture, but I don’t want to get my hopes up either when becoming the first foreign film to win best picture feels impossible.

#FreeTheBannedFour

M: The Original
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree with you, but also Roma was Cauron and Parasite isn’t. If a FLF was gonna win best picture a Cauron film would be the one to do it. Not sure Bong has enough cred for one of his films to go all the way. I don’t really buy the Netflix bias thing, I certainly think Netflix is more likely to win best picture than Neon. That being said, Parasite is the best movie I’ve seen since Mad Max Fury Road. I don’t want to talk myself out of the possibility of it winning best picture, but I don’t want to get my hopes up either when becoming the first foreign film to win best picture feels impossible.

Moonlight prevailed. Best Picture isn’t impenetrable these days with enough overall high placements in voting.

Kathy Bates for Best Supporting Actress (Richard Jewell)

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Moonlight prevailed

Moonlight wasn’t divisive? It’s exactly the type of film that would win on a preferential ballot. Without the preferential ballot it almost certainly would have lost.

#FreeTheBannedFour

Irvin Malcolm Contreras
    Participant
    Topics:

Moonlight wasn’t divisive? It’s exactly the type of film that would win on a preferential ballot. Without the preferential ballot it almost certainly would have lost.

This is exactly why I think Parasite could prevail: The preferential ballot. As I said, a wide swath of people with varying film tastes are declaring it a masterpiece/the best film of year. Unless there’s an actual concerted effort to actually prevent this from winning, I don’t see a lot of ballots ranking this film below the Top 3.

thomasrigours
    Participant
    Topics:

^It’s not winning. The Irishman is. It’s gonna be a crowdspleaser, a fun film with big names behind it. Nothing else truly has that Best Picture appeal.

The Irishman is not a crowdspleaser

Cinephile
    Participant
    Topics:

I think its less to do with the whether or not voters thought Roma was superior to its contemporaries, its more about voters feeling that Roma was sufficiently rewarded in Foreign Language and Best Director.

We can observe that voters are moving away from big sweeps and embracing sharing the wealth of winners. Thus, the question is, will voters feel comfortable giving Parasite the 2 arguably biggest awards of the night; both best film oscars?

Personally, I don’t think so. I think regardless of how much they love Parasite I just don’t see them giving it both awards.

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

I think everyone is underestimating Parasite‘s chance to win Best Picture. No other film has gotten such an across the board acclaim across many, many demographics from people with diverse tastes. Practically everyone I know *LOVES* it. I don’t remember this happening on any other film, even critically acclaimed ones. There’s always two or three naysayers who say, “Eh, it wasn’t THAT good” or “I *hated* it.”

I think most voters will have it on top or near the top of their ballots.

Parasite has two massive disadvantages in its way to a Picture win. The first one is the fact that its a foreign film, which many of you mentioned. The other is the fact that it won the Palme D’Or at Cannes. No Palme D’Or winner has ever won Picture at the oscars.

I think Parasite will be this years Roma: the critics favorite that wins Picture at a few precursors (like Critics Choice and BAFTA) as well as Director and International Film at the Oscars (and maybe a tech category) but ultimately loses to the crowd favorite to boost ratings, which will be Jojo Rabbit this year.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

POR160893
    Participant
    Topics:

Oscars, just give Park So-dam the best supporting actress award next year … even just for her rap “Jessica, Only child, Illinois. Chicago, classmate Kim Kin-Mo, he’s your cousin”

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

If anything is going to benefit from the preferential ballot, I think it’s Marriage Story. I can’t see it getting considerable backlash at any point in time as opposed to Jojo Rabbit and maybe even The Irishman

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Parasite has two massive disadvantages in its way to a Picture win. The first one is the fact that its a foreign film, which many of you mentioned. The other is the fact that it won the Palme D’Or at Cannes. No Palme D’Or winner has ever won Picture at the oscars. I think Parasite will be this years Roma: the critics favorite that wins Picture at a few precursors (like Critics Choice and BAFTA) as well as Director and International Film at the Oscars (and maybe a tech category) but ultimately loses to the crowd favorite to boost ratings, which will be Jojo Rabbit this year.

I mean, I know that Jojo Rabbit is a crowd-pleaser but Green Book won because very few ranked it last and it was saved by either being towards the top or middle of the ballots of most (Vice/Bohemian Rhapsody were a lot more divisive.) Some of the vitriol towards Jojo Rabbit is a lot stronger than anything leveled towards Green Book at any point in time before it won, you can bet it’s gonna be ranked last by quite a few more than Green Book.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Darlings, Parasite doesn’t deserve any Oscar! Bing Bong is far from winning Director. That’s probably going to Sam Mendes for his annoying and baity work.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

If anything is going to benefit from the preferential ballot, I think it’s Marriage Story. I can’t see it getting considerable backlash at any point in time as opposed to Jojo Rabbit and maybe even The Irishman

Marriage Story is also perfectly under-the radar right now which will help with any potential overhype backlash

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Some of the vitriol towards Jojo Rabbit is a lot stronger than anything leveled towards Green Book at any point in time before it won, you can bet it’s gonna be ranked last by quite a few more than Green Book.

Is it? Green Book had a ton of different controversies all working against it at the same time (Viggo’s N word, untrue historically, Farrelly’s sketchy past) and still won. And both films are virtually tied right now on Rotten Tomatoes, so it’s not like there’s a ton of critical backlash.

BP: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari, Marriage Story,
    BD: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips, Noah Baumbach
    Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Adam Driver, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, Scarlett Johansson
    S. Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell, Al Pacino, Alan Alda
    S. Actress: Laura Dern, Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    AS: Jojo Rabbit, Joker, The Irishman

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 487 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.