Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 481 through 486 (of 486 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Basically if the “Filmmaker” behind a film (in this case I’m using that to describe either Director or Director/Screenwriter) has already won a major oscar for a movie they directed, or directed a best picture winner, that film is at a major disadvantage.

Directors often become sort of the face of their movie, so if that face has won an oscar before, then their movie is less likely to win. Tarantino would be the first filmmaker to win Best Picture after already winning a major oscar as a filmmaker in 12 years. Scorsese would be the first person to direct 2 Best Picture winners in 15 years.

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Basically if the “Filmmaker” behind a film (in this case I’m using that to describe either Director or Director/Screenwriter) has already won a major oscar for a movie they directed, or directed a best picture winner, that film is at a major disadvantage. Directors often become sort of the face of their movie, so if that face has won an oscar before, then their movie is less likely to win. Tarantino would be the first filmmaker to win Best Picture after already winning a major oscar as a filmmaker in 12 years. Scorsese would be the first person to direct 2 Best Picture winners in 15 years.

Thank you for articulating this so well. I think this trend started after the Academy caught so much publicity with snubbing The Dark Knight, they really tried to recruit some new blood the next year by expanding the BP category and tapping lesser-known filmmakers. This is why I’m hesitant to predict anyone for a win because they have a track record of wins with the Academy, I think voters for the non-acting categories go for more complex narratives which is why I think Marriage Story and maybe Jojo Rabbit would make more sense as opposed to Irishman and OUATIH.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Dennis El Mar.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Dennis El Mar.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

For first time since the prediction center opened, I am changing my #1. I am going with Jojo Rabbit. Saw it today and the reaction to the audience reminded me of the time I saw Green Book. Upriorus laughter mixed with strong emotional pathos. And it’s got a ready made theme that parallels what is going on in the world right now. It may indeed be a post-trump film. But it is on Fox Searchlight to seize that narrative.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

The BIFA (British Independent Film Awards) nominations were released. Surprisingly to me Marriage Story made it into Best International Film especially considering how ‘mainstream’ it is in comparison to the other nominees. Netflix must be impressed.Is this is a sign to come that Marriage Story could dominate BAFTAs? Full list of nominations

Marriage Story’s really coming. Get ready girls!

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

Marriage Story’s really coming. Get ready girls!

Recent winners for this award include Roma, Get Out, Moonlight, Room, and Boyhood while even sole American films in that category that lost (Florida Project, Blue Jasmine, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Winter’s Bone) went on to be nominated for/win an Oscar. I’m not about to extrapolate this directly to the Oscars, but at least she’s in good company, girls!

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Starting a new thread.

Viewing 6 posts - 481 through 486 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.