Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 498 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
Pulp
  • babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like foreign film bias will prevent Parasite from winning Best Picture this year the same way it did Roma. Same with Original Screenplay: the last foreign winner in that category was in 2002. It has a better shot at Director right now than either of those other two awards.

That s been the trend for sure. But Parasite has some factors going for it that Oscar just loves . Given their sagging ratings and bad will from the general populace I can see them wanting to make history.
    I just hope they don’t make a demeaning debacle of it the way they did with Bigelow.
    These cheesy producers played “I am woman hear me roar” while she was on stage and shaking.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

TheDreamingHead
    Participant
    Topics:

I know it’s just wishful thinking but Parasite should win director and original screenplay, and deservedly so!

Dennis El Mar
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys forget how much of a tight grip Tarantino has on the original screenplay category. He’s only lost once to a Best Picture winner.

It could happen, but I’m not sure that this is a category where they’ll push hard for him to get a third because they like him. Getting a third OScreenplay win is hard, the only person to ever do it is Paddy Chayefsky. I’m not sure if Tarantino has this same level of respect to where they’ll default to him in a competitive category. He was considered somewhat overdue for recognition that second time (and it was a pretty weak category), but will they consider him overdue for a third time? Unsure. That one loss was pretty significant as well because it was arguably one of his strongest screenplays and still couldn’t stand up to the bigger film, which could hurt him if OUATIH isn’t a strong BP frontrunner. He didn’t really have that problem the second time around as his film was the strongest in that category.

In my humble 0pinion, Parasite and Marriage Story are right up the writing branch’s alley and it seems like they’ll have a lot of visibility in general with the Academy, and OUATIH isn’t one of his more dialogue heavy films so he does have considerable competition.

FYC: Mary Kay Place in Diane

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we know if Bong joon ho is a member of WGA?
    Not that it would hurt him if he isn’t.

Salsa Club
    Participant
    Topics:

Tarantino isn’t winning. The screenplay is easily the worst part about OUATIH. The only things that made it watchable were the performances and technical aspects. Doesn’t deserve directing or writing whatsoever

thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys forget how much of a tight grip Tarantino has on the original screenplay category. He’s only lost once to a Best Picture winner.

True, but but he’s also only been nominated three times. He has more scripts that were snubbed than he has ones that were nominated.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I think OUATIH will win Supporting Actor and Production Design (as of now)

gorman
    Participant
    Topics:

On OUATIH, I’m inclined to agree with those who suspect it won’t perform too well above the line. Pitt is the only winner I see there, realistically. I think it could – and should – win Production Design, and it will still pick up a lot of noms, but I’m not sure if the love will be there in a few months to translate them into wins.

Parasite will be very interesting I think. Roma came close last year and the only thing it really has over Parasite is the amount of campaign money behind it. Parasite is more accessible, it seems much more popular with audiences and it’s equally popular with critics. I think it could conceivably win, taking a similar path to Roma – Director, International Feature and a below the line win like Editing – but taking Picture on account of the above factors. I know the Academy has a poor history with Korean cinema, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out, but I suspect it may actually work in Parasite’s favour.

That being said, I think The Irishman will be very tough to beat – the only thing potentially going against it is anti-Netflix bias, but I’m not entirely sure that still exists enough to matter, and I think Scorsese’s name gives a lot of credibility to Netflix. I can see it getting a lot of noms and being a huge crowd-pleaser too. I think other potential winners are Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit at the minute and 1917 enters the conversation if it really delivers on its premise.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

My wildest predictions right now:

– Lupita makes it in
    – Scarlett is snubbed
    – Precursors are split between Dern and Robbie, but Dern takes the Oscar
    – Tarantino is snubbed for Director
    – Egerton makes all the precursors but is ultimately snubbed
    – Woodard takes the Oscar
    – Sterling K. Brown is a surprise nominee
    – De Niro is snubbed
    – Banderas makes it in
    – Awkwafina and Zhao Shuzhen make it in
    – The Farewell wins adapted screenplay
    – Greta Gerwig makes it in director
    – Bong Joon-ho wins best director
    – A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is completely snubbed
    – Many precursors go to Phoenix, but Driver ultimately takes the prize
    – Picture comes down to Marriage Story, Bombshell, and Parasite (but Marriage Story wins)
    – Booksmart surprises in Original Screenplay (but Marriage Story wins)
    – The Irishman gets a smaller overall nomination count than expected
    – Little Women gets a higher overall nomination count than expected
    – Phoenix is Joker’s only nomination
    – 1917 takes the most wins of the night
    – Lopez makes it in
    – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood gets no wins

Eric Darling
    Participant
    Topics:

^ The Farewell is considered an original screenplay even if it’s based on a person’s telling of an actual event

Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

My wildest predictions right now: – Lupita makes it in – Tarantino is snubbed for Director – Banderas makes it in – Greta Gerwig makes it in director –Booksmart surprises in Original Screenplay (but Marriage Story wins) – The Irishman gets a smaller overall nomination count than expected – Little Women gets a higher overall nomination count than expected – – 1917 takes the most wins of the night – Lopez makes it in – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood gets no wins

Darlings, I think exactly these ones. And I’ll add the following:

– Wrinkled Zellweger will be snubbed.

I was your Prime Minister once.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Wrinkled Zellweger will be snubbed.

null

John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Getting a third OScreenplay win is hard, the only person to ever do it is Paddy Chayefsky.

Actually it was Woody Allen, which only makes a third win for Tarantino seem more likely. The academy will want to scrub Woody Allen’s name off the record books as soon as possible.

For Your Consideration.

Best Picture: Parasite, Jojo Rabbit, Joker, Ford v Ferrari
    Best Director: Bong-Joon Ho, Taika Waititi, Todd Phillips
    Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Robert Pattinson, Roman Griffin Davis, Christian Bale
    Best Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe, Song Kang-Ho, Sam Rockwell
    Best Supporting Actress: Thomasin McKensie, Cho Yeo-Jeong
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit, Joker
    Best Original Screenplay: Parasite, Ford v Ferrari

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

My Oscar predictions:

Best Picture: Jojo Rabbit
    Best Director: Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

Best Actor: Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Best Actress: Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
    Best Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Best Supporting Actress: Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Best Original Screenplay: The Farewell
    Best Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit

babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes Well, there’s still a long way to go. Things can swing on a dime. Major precursors haven’t begun.

You Once Upon a Time naysayers could be in for a disappointing surprise.
    Of the major contenders I’ve seen so far, OUATIH is my choice.
    lol

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 498 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.