Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 482 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
10 mins ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
John Berchmans
PJ Edwards
  • Icecreamben
    Participant
    Topics:

To the people who saw The Irishman – is it worth watching at the cinema or should I just wait for Netflix and pause/toilet/alcohol breaks? Is it particularly visually stunning?

Wait for Netflix.  It was painful in the theater.  I could feel my eyes glaze over and my kidneys shut down at about the 2 1/2 hour mark.

Is it visually stunning? No. It’s got the usual bad Netflix cinematography.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Icecreamben.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Icecreamben.
    ReplyCopy URL
    MMartin
    Participant
    Topics:

Knives Out have 98% RT currently.It has one of best critical reception currently along The Irishman,Marriage Story and Parasite. Why isn’t it being considered a major threat?

Because it looks like something from Edgar Wright like Shaun of the Dead (92%) or Baby Driver (93%). A very critically acclaimed comedy that is just not the type of film the Academy usually goes for. Tons of critically acclaimed films get left out of the award season every year.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait for Netflix. It was painful in the theater. I could feel my eyes glaze over and my kidneys shut down at about the 2 1/2 hour mark.

Is it visually stunning? No. It’s got the usual bad Netflix cinematography.

I far prefer to support the theatre owners than the control freaks over at Netflix.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    thatnerdgreg
    Participant
    Topics:

Because it looks like something from Edgar Wright like Shaun of the Dead (92%) or Baby Driver (93%). A very critically acclaimed comedy that is just not the type of film the Academy usually goes for. Tons of critically acclaimed films get left out of the award season every year.

Also, apparently the studio only wants to campaign for Bombshell. So that pretty much kills Knives Out’s chances of any nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

I wonder if Joker gets snubbed in bp how that’ll be interpreted. Is it a signal of the genre bias and divisiveness of the film or does that solidify Joaquin’s oscar as all the residue love for Joker will be streamlined to him.

We may never know outside of speculation, gossip and innuendo. I don’t have Joker in my top 10 because I couldn’t find room for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Joker stans have a persecution complex. They aren’t happy enough that Joaquin is very likely getting nominated, which is a big achievement for this type of movie and high praise. They want to be greedy and get Best Picture as well, and will get mad at anyone saying otherwise. They have no understanding of genres or who votes for the Oscars. This is a lot of people’s first Oscars rodeo, so some basic realities aren’t being understood.

That s rich. From what I can see Driver stans don’t WANT Phoenix to win. Politically naive (Oscar) stans trying to hide behind a loosely cloaked veil of highbrow erudition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Qoslca
    Participant
    Topics:

Just a reminder to everyone, the Critic’s Choice Documentary Awards are tomorrow. Here are all the nominees for Best Documentary Feature:

• American Factory (Netflix)
    • Apollo 11 (Neon)
    • The Biggest Little Farm (Neon)
    • The Cave (National Geographic)
    • Honeyland (Neon)
    • The Kingmaker (Showtime)
    • Knock Down the House (Netflix)
    • Leaving Neverland (HBO)
    • Maiden (Sony Pictures Classics)
    • One Child Nation (Amazon Studios)
    • They Shall Not Grow Old (Warner Bros.)

What documentary do you think is the frontrunner for the Oscars this year? My prediction is Apollo 11, followed by The Biggest Little Farm and American Factory (all amazing films, if you haven’t seen them already).

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

That s rich. From what I can see Driver stans don’t WANT Phoenix to win. Politically naive (Oscar) stans trying to hide behind a loosely cloaked veil of highbrow erudition.

Oh yeah, that’s one more detail I forgot to mention. Everyone who isn’t a supporter of Joker automatically becomes a “Driver stan”. Never mind that I haven’t posted anything really pro-Driver this whole year, don’t let facts get in the way of your nonsensical perspective.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Weathering With You, Parasite, The Lighthouse
    Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe - The Lighthouse
    Best Animated Feature: Weathering With You, Promare
    Best International Film: Weathering With You, Parasite

ReplyCopy URL
    dfinchermom
    Participant
    Topics:

To the people who saw The Irishman – is it worth watching at the cinema or should I just wait for Netflix and pause/toilet/alcohol breaks? Is it particularly visually stunning?

gonna be honest my back and ass hurt after sitting for 3,5 hours long

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

My predicted movies with more than one nomination:

1917 (9 noms, 3 wins): Picture, Director, ***Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, ***Sound Editing, ***Sound Mixing, ***Original Score, Visual Effects
    LITTLE WOMEN (9 noms, 1 win): Picture, Director, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, ***Costume Design, Production Design, Original Score, Makeup and Hairstyling
    THE IRISHMAN: (8 noms, 1 win): Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, ***Film Editing, Production Design, Sound Editing, Visual Effects
    MARRIAGE STORY (8 noms, 3 wins): ***Picture, Director, Lead Actress, ***Lead Actor, ***Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Film Editing, Original Score
    BOMBSHELL (7 noms, 2 wins): Picture, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, ***Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Original Song, ***Makeup and Hairstyling
    PARASITE (7 noms, 3 wins): Picture, ***Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, ***Production Design, Film Editing, ***International Feature
    ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (6 noms): Picture, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Costume Design, Production Design
    STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (5 noms): Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Original Score, Makeup and Hairstyling, Visual Effects
    THE FAREWELL (4 noms, 1 win): Picture, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, ***Original Screenplay
    HUSTLERS (4 noms): Picture, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing
    JOJO RABBIT (4 noms): Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Original Score
    ROCKETMAN (4 noms): Lead Actor, Costume Design, Sound Mixing, Original Song
    AVENGERS: ENDGAME (3 noms, 1 win): Sound Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, ***Visual Effects
    THE TWO POPES (3 noms): Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay
    FORD V. FERRARI (2 noms): Sound Editing, Sound Mixing
    FROZEN II (2 noms, 2 wins): ***Original Score, ***Animated Feature
    JOKER (2 noms): Lead Actor, Makeup and Hairstyling

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh yeah, that’s one more detail I forgot to mention. Everyone who isn’t a supporter of Joker automatically becomes a “Driver stan”. Never mind that I haven’t posted anything really pro-Driver this whole year, don’t let facts get in the way of your nonsensical perspective.

And you provide a psychoanalysis of why we’re fucked for thinking otherwise? Are you an FBI profiler? Until you provide some double blind studies and case reports to back up your version of why Phoenix just shouldn’t win, from my view it’s you that has the issue.
    And yes you’re stans. You are trying to find any reason why Joaquin can’t win. Eddie has a better chance. Pryce will likely win. Driver is a saint so he’s just GOT to win. Joaquin isn’t even going to get a nomination.

Every time I go into the thread hoping for some healthy discussion, this is what I find. You have spoiled the thread for me and I don’t feel too motivated to check it out.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  teri.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  teri.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

And you provide a psychoanalysis of why we’re fucked for thinking otherwise? Are you an FBI profiler? Until you provide some double blind studies and case reports to back up your version of why Phoenix just shouldn’t win, from my view it’s you that has the issue. And yes you’re stans. You are trying to find any reason why Joaquin can’t win. Eddie has a better chance. Pryce will likely win. Driver is a saint so he’s just GOT to win. Joaquin isn’t even going to get a nomination. Every time I go into the thread hoping for some healthy discussion, this is what I find. You have spoiled the thread for me and I don’t feel too motivated to check it out.

Did you not see in Best Actor when I literally said Joaquin was getting nominated? Again, you ignore facts so you can go on your childish rants.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Just a reminder to everyone, the Critic’s Choice Documentary Awards are tomorrow. Here are all the nominees for Best Documentary Feature:

• American Factory (Netflix)
    • Apollo 11 (Neon)
    • The Biggest Little Farm (Neon)
    • The Cave (National Geographic)
    • Honeyland (Neon)
    • The Kingmaker (Showtime)
    • Knock Down the House (Netflix)
    • Leaving Neverland (HBO)
    • Maiden (Sony Pictures Classics)
    • One Child Nation (Amazon Studios)
    • They Shall Not Grow Old (Warner Bros.)

What documentary do you think is the frontrunner for the Oscars this year? My prediction is Apollo 11, followed by The Biggest Little Farm and American Factory (all amazing films, if you haven’t seen them already).

They are missing Edge of Democracy that has done well in precursors. It’s on Netflix if you havent seen it. It’s great! Apollo 11 should be frontrunner but this branch has the tendency to snub them so we’ll see.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Did you not see in Best Actor when I literally said Joaquin was getting nominated? Again, you ignore facts so you can go on your childish rants.

You’re the worst kind of Stan because you think you’re fooling everyone when your hateful biases are as clear as birdshit on a windshield.

ReplyCopy URL
    Cordelia
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re the worst kind of Stan because you think you’re fooling everyone when your hateful biases are as clear as birdshit on a windshield.

Look, I don’t want to spend this whole season arguing with you, so let’s agree on a truce. I do not like Joker as a movie, however I am fond of Joaquin’s performance and think he is a lock for a nomination and a candidate to win. This is not a “hateful bias”. A hateful bias is when you are racist or homophobic or transphobic. Do not use words where they do not apply.

I have different opinions to you and that’s OK. We can get through the season without accusing each other of being hateful. That shitty behaviour is for the Music stans.

For Your Consideration:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 482 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.