Home Forums Movies 2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 488 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
babypook
John Berchmans
Cordelia
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I watched The Irishman at the cinemas against this thread’s advice. Yeah, I could have waited to see this at Netflix and I would’ve preferred that, but it was a good movie. I think Pesci and Pacino were much better than De Niro, though he was good. The movie was great, and arguably a meta film about Scorcese reflecting on his filmography. The humour and characterisation didn’t hit quite as well as say, Goodfellas, but that is an unreasonably high bar.

I think the whole regret over crimes aspect and the tragedy of it all means this isn’t really a rehash of his earlier work that I was expecting. Yeah, bad stuff happens to criminals in other Scorcese movies, but this gets noticeably bleak. Bleak to the point where I wonder if it might detract to some Oscars voters. Probably not.

I did have problems, but they’re relatively minor. This was a 3+ hour movie that could still have used more in some areas, such as Anna Paquin who I would be calling a top tier Supporting Actress contender if she got given more to work with. It feels a little too long as a movie, but it also feels like with enough elaboration it could have worked as a miniseries. Maybe that would have been better, but this is good.

I’d give it an 8 or a 9 out of 10. It would be a deserving Best Picture, though you could also do better.

Also, christ almighty cinema chairs suck. Cinema ice cream has only gotten better though.

I’ll redact my 1MDB element to this post I originally had, because I’m not sure to what extent Scorcese in particular is complicit. However, I can see why this material and this approach to it would have been influenced by that.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

This was a 3+ hour movie that could still have used more in some areas, such as Anna Paquin who I would be calling a top tier Supporting Actress contender if she got given more to work with.

this, all of this

I was absolutely captivated by her performance during her one-minute (not even tbh) screentime, there is so much potential in her character that could’ve been developed

I thought there were some pacing issues here and there (mostly towards the end) and there are at least two properly “in contention” films that I like better but it’s good enough that I won’t mind if it becomes the eventual winner

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

The Joker campaign

https://screenrant.com/joker-oscars-best-picture-director-actor-campaign/

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

The Joker campaign https://screenrant.com/joker-oscars-best-picture-director-actor-campaign/

De Niro is a smart choice to campaign for Supporting Actor. Not that I think he’s happening, but he’s good in it. Furthermore, The Irishman is on people’s mind, so emphasizing that connection would work in Joker’s benefit. By all means, Joker is doing a good campaign.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

Why do you think Tarantino refused OUATIH’s China release?

I mean it would have earned 60-70 millions there and in result become Tarantino’s highest grossing movie.

Is stopping China release and not compromising helping OUAITH’s Oscar chances?

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Why do you think Tarantino refused OUATIH’s China release? I mean it would have earned 60-70 millions there and in result become Tarantino’s highest grossing movie. Is stopping China release and not compromising helping OUAITH’s Oscar chances?

I mean, a lower box office doesn’t ever help Oscar chances, does it? I don’t think it matters anyway. OUATIH is not an Oscar frontrunner anymore. It may not even be Top 5.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Why do you think Tarantino refused OUATIH’s China release? I mean it would have earned 60-70 millions there and in result become Tarantino’s highest grossing movie. Is stopping China release and not compromising helping OUAITH’s Oscar chances?

I think Tarantino just doesn’t want to cut the content that China demanded to cut. That burst of violence is pretty damn important to the narrative and the ultimate point of the movie. I think being Tarantino’s highest grossing movie doesn’t really matter – if box office really mattered that much to Oscars, Endgame would be a lock.

I might make a thread on box office and the Oscars, because I think it’s more that films flopping harm Oscars chances than films being smash hits help.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    Hammad Asif
    Topics:

I might make a thread on box office and the Oscars, because I think it’s more that films flopping harm Oscars chances than films being smash hits help.

Please make that thread,because people mostly think BO doesn’t matter for Oscar films whereas it does.

Kubrick-Tarkovsky-Scorsese-Bergman-Bresson-Kurosawa

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Time to ask this thread another Netflix question – is it worth watching Marriage Story in the cinema? I definitely had a worse experience watching The Irishman in cinemas than I would have at home. This is shorter though.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Time to ask this thread another Netflix question – is it worth watching Marriage Story in the cinema? I definitely had a worse experience watching The Irishman in cinemas than I would have at home. This is shorter though.

I saw “Marriage Story” in theaters today and it was a very good theater experience, but I think it is also a film that could comfortably be watched at home. It is engaging in a way that you wouldn’t be distracted, but comfortable enough that you wouldn’t feel like you’re missing out on any technical merit by seeing it at home. I think it is your personal preference. That being said, although “The Irishman” is supposedly the better theater experience, I’m planning on watching that one at home.

Profile picture
    Cinephile
    Topics:

Apparently it’s quite funny so it’s always nice to have a communal atmosphere of laughter in the cinema.

I’m seeing it in cinemas on Thursday here in Australia

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Yes! You should see it in cinemas if you can. The film is way more funny than people think.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I wish I could. But Marriage Story isn’t playing in any theaters even remotely close to me. I guess I’ll just have to wait until December 6th.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I think I’ll go. Comedy movies are more fun in a cinema. Parasite went from a 9 to a 10 with a crowded cinema of uni students.

Apparently it’s quite funny so it’s always nice to have a communal atmosphere of laughter in the cinema.

I’m seeing it in cinemas on Thursday here in Australia

Same!

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Cordelia.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Cordelia.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Why do you think Tarantino refused OUATIH’s China release?

I mean it would have earned 60-70 millions there and in result become Tarantino’s highest grossing movie.

Is stopping China release and not compromising helping OUAITH’s Oscar chances?

In my book it raises him in my estimation. Why should he compromise his art and his values to a dictatorship?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘2020 Oscar Predictions (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.